PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2010, 12:11 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo
Carrier: Sprint

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: [TUTORIALS] EVO Full Root|OTA Root|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing|for n00b's + vide

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk0007 View Post
New to the forum and I apologize if this has already been discussed but I haven't had the time to read all posts.

I am wondering if rooting causes any issues with 4G? I want to root my phone but not if 4G won't work after.

Thanks for any responses!
Root should not effect 4G. I dont have 4G but with root I was able to update my files correctly so that when it comes to my area I'll be ready. I've read NUMEROUS posts of happily rooted 4G users. You'll be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy2walgreens View Post
I see the options for like a second. Then it automatically goes into hboot, then it scans for files and asks if i would like to upgrade PC36.IMG. I don't have a chance to select the other options
You can just Say No to the update and you'll be back at the Menu options.
Once you root you need to rename or remove the PC36IMG file so you dont deal with this exact issue everytime you boot into bootloader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbiehawk View Post
I put the files on I have turned phone off I started the phone and NOTHING. Why don't I get the option "TO START UPDATE"? I simply go back to the menu that shows up before the card is read. My card also gets read very fast. Maybe took 3 or 4 secs.
Please list you software version and what exact step you're on, makes it much easier to figure out how to help you.
BUT I think I may know your issue. You either started with the wrong step-if your software is 1.47 you need to start with Root after OTA 1.47 (Step #5) or your PC36IMG file did not download correctly. They need to be @ 170MB in size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielt14 View Post
@iknowsquat
Sorry didnt mean to confuse you. but, yeah i want to go back to the RA way, i like that one. seems easy for me. I tried what you said and its grayed out. seems not available for me. any ideas? thanks.
Well you need to flash Clockwork first then you'll have that option at the bottom to flash RA.
Curious- if you didnt already flash Clockwork then how did you get it as a recovery image?
Old 07-26-2010, 12:42 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo 4g

jeffy2walgreens is a n00b
Re: [TUTORIALS] EVO Full Root|OTA Root|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing|for n00b's + vide

You can just Say No to the update and you'll be back at the Menu options.
Once you root you need to rename or remove the PC36IMG file so you dont deal with this exact issue everytime you boot into bootloader.

Ah ok, I left it there just to be safe. I think when I would hit no, it would just reboot normally. I'll try deleting that.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:29 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

Aloupha is keeping up the good workAloupha is keeping up the good work

How do you go back to the main screen when you are on the recovery area? I find that after I go into the wipe option I don't have any option to go back and select any other option. My only choice is to remove the battery and start over. I think I must be missing something.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:04 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloupha View Post
How do you go back to the main screen when you are on the recovery area? I find that after I go into the wipe option I don't have any option to go back and select any other option. My only choice is to remove the battery and start over. I think I must be missing something.
Push Vol Up and Down at the same time
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:11 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: evo
Carrier: sprint

compalalaska is a n00b

1st of all thanks for the info it has all worked for the most part but now I am stuck...

Im at step 5z and when i type in "/data/flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img" I get a whole bunch of lines that pretty much say skipping write block x and erase failure at x. It finishes by saying Error writing recovery : no space left on device.

I have my evo on and running but if i try just rebooting into recovery I get a black screen with a phone on it with a red ! mark thing kinda like the debugging sign. Because of that I cant load my custom rom... any ideas on how to bypass that or just another way to load my rom?

Im 99% sure im rooted because in the cmd window is get # and not $ like i used to get.

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 07-26-2010, 10:45 AM
Yo, VIP - Let's Kick It!!
Pocket PC: EVO - Rooted & OMJ's Rom
Threadstarter

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community

Sorry I was MIA all weekend. There's been a lot of activity in here since then. Thanks iknowsquat for picking up the slack.

Hope all you guys are hitting the for iknowsquat for all the help he's been providing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by compalalaska View Post
1st of all thanks for the info it has all worked for the most part but now I am stuck...

Im at step 5z and when i type in "/data/flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img" I get a whole bunch of lines that pretty much say skipping write block x and erase failure at x. It finishes by saying Error writing recovery : no space left on device.

I have my evo on and running but if i try just rebooting into recovery I get a black screen with a phone on it with a red ! mark thing kinda like the debugging sign. Because of that I cant load my custom rom... any ideas on how to bypass that or just another way to load my rom?

Im 99% sure im rooted because in the cmd window is get # and not $ like i used to get.

Thanks in advance!!!
I believe that error means you have a bad file.
Try downloading and replacing the files again.
You just need the files from the Rooting OTA Files.zip http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/attachment...6&d=1278447386
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:52 AM
Lurker

compalalaska is a n00b

i just looked and my eng-pc36img file is only like 146 mb so i re downloaded it and it says its 171 while downloading but once it finishes its 146 again... so im trying to download it from the mirror now but its gunna take like 35 minutes because im not premium or w/e... but ill try the rooting ota thing while i wait... ill let u know... THANKS A LOT !!
Old 07-26-2010, 11:06 AM
Lurker

compalalaska is a n00b

Ok, I just re downloaded those files and I got the same error again... Also though now that I think about it I used the original pc36img to root and not the eng-pc36img that i renamed because the renamed version wouldnt work. It would read the rom, go through the blue bar, say checking rom and then just go back to the boot loader menu with out asking if i wanted to update.. im assuming this is because my eng-pc36img file is not the right size compared to your screen shot.... hopfully it works this time on the download... i hope this kinda makes sence... lol
Old 07-26-2010, 11:09 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

vinnyt225 is a n00b
Question Will rooting erase my current phone settings??

Hi fellow members, I want to root my EVO just to uninstall sprint apps and get free wifi tethering. I don’t want to flash any roms. My phone is updated to the 1.47 software version. I have a few questions regarding this process…

1.)Will my phone be completely erased after this root? Because I installed a lot of apps and don’t wanna go through that process again..

2.) can anyone care to help me with this process? Like make it simple for me to understand?

Thanks!!!
Old 07-26-2010, 11:20 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

danielt14 is a n00b
Send a message via Skype™ to danielt14

@iknowsquat
First I did the custom ROM "CyanogenMod-6- a Nightly Build"and it came with the ROM Manager. i got curious in the ROM Manager because there is a feature that gives you updates if there is a new version out of the ROM you are on. So i messed with it and it prompt me that i had to use ClockworkMod do you want to Flash ClockworkMod now? so i did. now when i go in the hboot screen (i think thats what it is called) and go to "RECOVERY" I am in ClockworkMod Recovery V2.5.0.1 and its different from when i originally Rooted with Fast tutorial. I liked it the way it was before, prior doing the clockworkmod. I hope that sums it up for ya. hit me up if u have questions.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
backup, basics, easy, evo, hboot-.076, help root, htc evo 4g, htc evo password, radio-1.36.00.04.02, recovery, restore, root, rooting, videos