PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 11:34 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

dodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: help please

thanks for the help bro
Old 01-11-2011, 05:03 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Pro 2

carlosruizano is a n00b
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I managed to root and flash mins 2.2 rom but I still have some questions like OP.

I know I can't do anymore OTA software updates, but can I still do OTA updates for PRL and profiles. Where do I get a wimax update?

I didn't know that you could do a wipe in the recovery. Instead I did a hard reset through the normal settings. Is this ok? Because I don't see a couple apps that were there before.

When I did a nandroid backup, there were like six items but only about three were checked by default. Is it ok if I didn't check all of them?

I rooted using "autoroot", is this a reliable method?
Thanks.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:55 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Evo

gammarho55 is keeping up the good workgammarho55 is keeping up the good work
Help please... new to android/ rooting

I hate having to ask newb questions, but i'm finding that with android i'm a newb all over again lol. Was thinking about rooting my evo, but in all my reading i've come across old posts talking about 1-click roots, unrevoked, and so on. i just need to know the easiest way to get rooted... the simpler the better, as i'm not the most computer savvy person. I can hold my own for the most part, but when we start talking about using command lines and such i'm a little lost and i sure as hell don't want to screw up my phone.
With that being said, i have hardware version 0004 and hboot 2.02. i've read some posts saying that unrevoked won't work, but then i've seen some saying its been updated so it should work now. is that the easiest way? I just want to be able to flash the custom roms and improve the battery life on this thing and get my ability to tether back.
Thanks to all those who provide the much needed help for us newbs. we don't say it often enough, but we all appreciate everybody who does.

If someone helped you with a problem, hit the thanks button and let them know you appreciate their time.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:00 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Epic 4G Touch

tool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to tool2269 Send a message via Yahoo to tool2269
Re: Help please... new to android/ rooting

newest version of unrevoked works for 2.02

public:unrevoked3 [RootWiki]
<LI class=level2>Fix for latest EVO 4G OTA (3.70.651.1) and EVO 4Gs with new versions of HBOOT (2.02 and 2.10).
Old 01-11-2011, 11:11 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy S3

lkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stuff

UnRevoked is what's happening. Pay particular attention to getting the correct drivers installed. If you don't it just will not run but it won't damage the phone.

Once rooted, we will walk you through a few subsequent steps to get you "fine tuned".
Old 01-11-2011, 11:22 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint EVRP

kevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuffkevmo1965 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to kevmo1965
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Carlos
As long as your able to flash roms, your fully rooted. OTA's for profile and PRL are fine. Updating wimax is done like updating a radio, flash through recovery.
As far as missing programs, some of the roms have programs removed by whoever put the rom together.
As far as your backup question, next time read up on the options available before just making a backup. If everything is working fine now, go into recovery research what options you have and make a full backup.

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:25 AM
VIP Member

lkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stuff
Re: ?'s about flashing 1st ROM and OTA notice

You can do ALL the OTA's you heart desires but the ROM will fail during installation. The rest will install just fine.

See, all the files will download but the HTC software update will leave you looking at a little Droid and an "!". In rare occassions, some rooted users have been able to install the OTA and then the worst that happens is they loose root.

Last edited by lkillen; 01-11-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:50 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Evo

gammarho55 is keeping up the good workgammarho55 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkillen View Post
UnRevoked is what's happening. Pay particular attention to getting the correct drivers installed. If you don't it just will not run but it won't damage the phone.

Once rooted, we will walk you through a few subsequent steps to get you "fine tuned".
that was so much easier than i thought it would be lol. i double checked and i am s-off. the only thing i noticed is that it didn't wipe the phone. i guess i just figured i might be starting with a fresh slate. so what else do i need to do? thanks for the help.

Last edited by gammarho55; 01-11-2011 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:09 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammarho55 View Post
that was so much easier than i thought it would be lol. i double checked and i am s-off. so what else do i need to do? thanks for the help.
See!! We told you so. LOL

I recommend you update your Recovery. Recovery is a shell program that permits you to to flash updates, do back-ups/restores, wipe caches, etc.

Hang on and I will attach AMON's latest recovery.

I just ran UnRevoked on my daughter's phone that she got for Christmas. I was having some weird effects from Clockwork's recovery so I quickly moved on to Amon.

Copy the attached file to your SDCard. Shut down your phone and start it up in Bootloader by holding he Vol down button and pressing the power button. When you are in the bootloader screen, hit the power button One time. This will cause it to go into HBoot. Wait about 10 seconds and your card will be scanned, looking for different key file names. When it finds the PC36IMG.zip file, it will process it and ask if you want to install it. Vol up for Yes.

The install will take only a few seconds. Once done, let the phone reboot all the way up. Now do a shut down and boot into Recovery. Do a little exploring and get familiar with the option names. Most menus lead to sub-menus. Nothing happens without offering you a chance to back-up so don't be agraid to explore. Pay attention to Wipe procedures.

Now, go into back-up and do a Nandroid backup. Someday down the road, you are going to tell us your phone is bricked and we are going to instruct you to restore a Nand backup. When you say you have never done one, you will have the ultimate egg on face. So do it NOW. It is your lifeline.

Next? Flashing a custom ROM.
Attached Files
File Type: zip PC36IMG.zip (4.07 MB, 11 views) Click for barcode!
Old 01-11-2011, 12:17 PM
VIP Member

Re: help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge_longhorn View Post
yea i figured it out...its my memory card..i thhink its corrupted works fine with out it in...curious tho to what happend to the memory card
Yeah, people forget to look at that. Any entended I/Os will cause a time-out and recycle. During the pre-opt, it was probably testing the card and hung. The default exception handler is probably to reboot. Would be nice to have an exception thrown to the screen so we know what is happening.

If you think of it, open up your log and see if you see an error message about your card.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
backup, basics, easy, evo, hboot-.076, help root, htc evo 4g, htc evo password, radio-1.36.00.04.02, recovery, restore, root, rooting, videos