PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2010, 09:53 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2; HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

tpeazy knows their stufftpeazy knows their stufftpeazy knows their stufftpeazy knows their stufftpeazy knows their stufftpeazy knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: EVO Full Root No PC or ADB|Recovery|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing| for n00b's + Vi

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmonewbie View Post
Follow either:

Section 2 Version 1 No PC Needed or

Section 2 Version 2 Using the PC (this is basically the old Part 2)

You'll get the # sign with partial root just not the benes of full root.

Thanks WinMo. I guess I will give this a try now. Currently running OMJ's 1.5 (Awesome ROM) and may try fresh next.

Tp

That did the trick for me. Now I am fully rooted. Thanks for the help WinMo

Last edited by tpeazy; 06-29-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:07 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community
Re: EVO Full Root No PC or ADB|Recovery|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing| for n00b's + Vi

Hey Bro-knew this may prove helpful to some--Ways to confirm FULL root. There's the boot into recovery method and then there's also this from toast:

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastcfh View Post
to know if it worked ull have a custom recovery.
to write to system create a test.txt file and do:
Code:
adb remount
adb push test.txt /system
ls /system
u should see the file
to remove the file do:
Code:
adb shell rm /system/test.txt
Just a thought...
Old 06-30-2010, 01:02 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch==>Touch Pro==>EVO

BenS is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBenS is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBenS is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBenS is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBenS is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

winmo please check your pm
Old 06-30-2010, 02:09 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: sprint

jfizz88 is keeping up the good workjfizz88 is keeping up the good work

i think my phone is stuck in recovery. theres the android phone with red exclamation point on the screen. and i ran c:\evo-recovery\recovery-windows.bat like the post says but its not doing anythnig now. can i take out the battery?

edit: NVM i unplugged and replugged the usb and it wrnt into the recovery screen PHEW, i thot i bricked it lol

Crispy EVO because its Toasted.

Last edited by jfizz88; 06-30-2010 at 02:12 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:08 AM
Yo, VIP - Let's Kick It!!
Pocket PC: EVO - Rooted & OMJ's Rom
Threadstarter

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmonewbie View Post
Hey Bro-knew this may prove helpful to some--Ways to confirm FULL root. There's the boot into recovery method and then there's also this from toast:
Just a thought...
Dude that's hilarious...
I just finished talking to you on Gtalk and I hadn't seen you posted this and I didn't see toast post either. I was just trying to figure out a way to test stuff.
Crazy coincidence.
I might add those steps to the F.A.Q. but I want to make them a little more basic.
You know, less room for you-ser error
Old 06-30-2010, 07:51 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch==>Touch Pro==>EVO

BenS is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBenS is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBenS is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBenS is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBenS is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

How come my nandroid back up is not in a zip file. I did all the required steps and I'm trying to restore it from the clockwork mod recovery and when I go through the steps where I look for my file I can find the date but it says file empty or something to that effect. When I transferred my nandroid file to my desktop it reads \HT05JHL10540\BDS-20100618-0730 and inside this folder it has all the images data, boot, nadroid.md5, system but it doesn't see it. Do I need to compress this bds-2010618-0730 file into a zip and try moving it back to my sd card and then reflash?
Old 06-30-2010, 10:13 AM
Threadstarter

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenS View Post
How come my nandroid back up is not in a zip file. I did all the required steps and I'm trying to restore it from the clockwork mod recovery and when I go through the steps where I look for my file I can find the date but it says file empty or something to that effect. When I transferred my nandroid file to my desktop it reads \HT05JHL10540\BDS-20100618-0730 and inside this folder it has all the images data, boot, nadroid.md5, system but it doesn't see it. Do I need to compress this bds-2010618-0730 file into a zip and try moving it back to my sd card and then reflash?
You created a Nandroid backup using Amon_RA_recovery. Now you're trying to restore it using ClockworkMod recovery.
Can't do it that way. They make backups differently.
Rom Manager is looking for backup files in sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/Name.of.Backup
That's where the files should be. I don't know if you can take the file from \HT05JHL10540\BDS-20100618-0730 and move them. That might work.

BTW - Backups are not roms. They don't get flashed like roms. That's why you don't see a zip file. My instructions on post 1 in section 3 tell you how to backup/restore using Rom Manager and section 4 tells you how to backup/restore manually.
You backed up manually and are trying to restore through Rom Manager.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:16 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRX8 View Post
Dude that's hilarious...
I just finished talking to you on Gtalk and I hadn't seen you posted this and I didn't see toast post either. I was just trying to figure out a way to test stuff.
Crazy coincidence.
I might add those steps to the F.A.Q. but I want to make them a little more basic.
You know, less room for you-ser error
That method is FOOLproof, obviously since I did it
Old 06-30-2010, 02:56 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Sprint TP; XV6900 before; XV6700 first
Carrier: was Verizon, now saving on Sprint

fredcatsmommy knows their stufffredcatsmommy knows their stufffredcatsmommy knows their stufffredcatsmommy knows their stufffredcatsmommy knows their stufffredcatsmommy knows their stuff

I made the WinMo jump and am a noobie all over again. Last night I was able to get full root, then flashed OMJ's v1.6, and noticed two problems afterward. I'm not sure if it occurred with the root or the custom rom, so I thought I'd ask here first since I've seen some reference to "the USB issue." My USB issue is not being able to connect to the computer as a disk drive; EVO doesn't recognize it's connected (pop up about selecting connection method doesn't) though it does appear to be charging. I'm not sure about sync since I'm not at home right now. I can, however, access my SD from the file explorer on EVO, so I don't know if my USB issue is what I've seen written about. Second issue is that my bluetooth comes on by itself, and it will not shut off, though the icon goes away when I try to turn it off. Continuously says it's turning off. Any help is of course appreciated (and the button hit!).
Old 06-30-2010, 03:16 PM
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredcatsmommy View Post
I made the WinMo jump and am a noobie all over again. Last night I was able to get full root, then flashed OMJ's v1.6, and noticed two problems afterward. I'm not sure if it occurred with the root or the custom rom, so I thought I'd ask here first since I've seen some reference to "the USB issue." My USB issue is not being able to connect to the computer as a disk drive; EVO doesn't recognize it's connected (pop up about selecting connection method doesn't) though it does appear to be charging. I'm not sure about sync since I'm not at home right now. I can, however, access my SD from the file explorer on EVO, so I don't know if my USB issue is what I've seen written about. Second issue is that my bluetooth comes on by itself, and it will not shut off, though the icon goes away when I try to turn it off. Continuously says it's turning off. Any help is of course appreciated (and the button hit!).
Did you wipe? That's the 1st thing.

Also make sure USB debugging is turned on and you've installed HTC Sync so you have working drivers.

And finally, if those don't work, go to:
Menu>Setting>About phone>Software Info
and list what you have for
Baseband =
Build Number =
Software number =

So we can have more info about what might be causing the problems.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
backup, basics, easy, evo, hboot-.076, help root, htc evo 4g, htc evo password, radio-1.36.00.04.02, recovery, restore, root, rooting, videos