PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2010, 12:16 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo
Carrier: Sprint

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: EVO Full Root No PC or ADB|Recovery|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing| for n00b's + Vi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRX8 View Post
It broke everything
Had to redo Root part 1 & 2. Then I got stuck in loop on the animated screen because I didn't wipe.

Wipe
D'OH!
Old 06-29-2010, 12:18 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

Westfire is just getting started
Re: EVO Full Root No PC or ADB|Recovery|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing| for n00b's + Vi

Stupid wipes

EDIT: I never did try to type in SU at $ to see if it would granted root and #. I think that worked for a couple of people over at XDA.

Last edited by Westfire; 06-29-2010 at 12:34 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:54 AM
Yo, VIP - Let's Kick It!!
Pocket PC: EVO - Rooted & OMJ's Rom
Threadstarter

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community

So here's the verdict...

I never even got to try the new WiMax radio. I was just trying to load the new OTA version of OMJ's rom.
Something definitely didn't work well. I had partial root access. Some apps worked and some didn't. I did have the SU icon though.
I couldn't load the stock Sprint rom back. I tried both signed Sprint Roms, neither worked.
I went into recovery using the manual method (old school) from there I wiped and loaded another rom that was on my SDCard.
That brought me back to the home screen.
Currently I'm in the process of doing Part 2 of rooting to unlock Nand.
Everything seems to be back to normal. I won't be experimenting anymore tonight, but I'll play around w/ it more tomorrow.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:03 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Dang, I was abotu to try to flash OMJ's OTA ROM too. I guess I'll wait and see hwo it goes for a bit before I try...
Old 06-29-2010, 08:16 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

mshnayde is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmonewbie View Post
Your answer is 5 posts back from yours, unfortunately your SOL until someone develops a root method from the new OTA forward. You could try as Fast suggests, to flash the original stock ROM -pre any OTA's and go from there.
Good luck.
Tried to flash the original supersonic 1.32......sprint.exe but it fails. Is that the right file? Thanks for any other suggestions.

Last edited by mshnayde; 06-29-2010 at 08:19 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:49 AM
Retired Staff

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshnayde View Post
Tried to flash the original supersonic 1.32......sprint.exe but it fails. Is that the right file? Thanks for any other suggestions.
If you got it from the link Fast posted then its right. Remember we're just guessing here, you could be stuck till someone comes up with a new root method to get past the OTA.

As far as the RUU-try again. I had to try multiple times when I did it (nothing to do with the OTA).
Try it with your ROM booted.
Try it with your phone in Fastboot-Power off, hold down vol while you power on, select fastboot then run the RUU.

Good luck.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

Westfire is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmonewbie View Post
If you got it from the link Fast posted then its right. Remember we're just guessing here, you could be stuck till someone comes up with a new root method to get past the OTA.

As far as the RUU-try again. I had to try multiple times when I did it (nothing to do with the OTA).
Try it with your ROM booted.
Try it with your phone in Fastboot-Power off, hold down vol while you power on, select fastboot then run the RUU.

Good luck.
Did you ever have any luck last night getting the rooted OTA ROM to work last night? I gave up. I think I might wait until Froyo comes out since I am pretty content with my phone as it is now.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:55 PM
Yo, VIP - Let's Kick It!!
Pocket PC: EVO - Rooted & OMJ's Rom
Threadstarter

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfire View Post
Did you ever have any luck last night getting the rooted OTA ROM to work last night? I gave up. I think I might wait until Froyo comes out since I am pretty content with my phone as it is now.
I was chatting w/ him really late. Believe me when I say, you don't want his problems.
The quick answer is No, he didn't get it working.
I had tons of issues too and I never even tried the WiMax update because I'm not in 4G.
If you're happy w/ what you got, stay there for a while.
If I get this working and have no issues, I'll post it here. But for now, it was just a huge headache to fix what happened.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:15 PM
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRX8 View Post
I was chatting w/ him really late. Believe me when I say, you don't want his problems.
The quick answer is No, he didn't get it working.
I had tons of issues too and I never even tried the WiMax update because I'm not in 4G.
If you're happy w/ what you got, stay there for a while.
If I get this working and have no issues, I'll post it here. But for now, it was just a huge headache to fix what happened.
AMEN Brother! Fast and I ironed it out but it was a giant PITA.

I'm rockin steady again on OMJ 1.5

SPRINT pulled the update apparently as it fubared some non root phones.
Im sure it'll be back and the devs will get it to us in time.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:15 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2

drurc8 is becoming a great contributor

Help, help, help. I cannot re-root my evo after I updated WiMax 2.05 version. I cannot flash any rom and I tried to root again, it fails with the message " Main version is older". any help, please

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
backup, basics, easy, evo, hboot-.076, help root, htc evo 4g, htc evo password, radio-1.36.00.04.02, recovery, restore, root, rooting, videos