PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 06:04 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: EVO
Carrier: Sprint

havek is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
re: EVERYTHING EVO - Rooting | NAND | Flashing Roms | Wipe

Yes, flashed with the rooted version of stock (froyo). It's a default thing if you follow the exact steps over at xda (where you suggested i go).

Tried the tethering today and worked just as you said. You are the man.

Hey, sorry to do this to you buuuuut now that I got everything I need/want on my phone i just realized there is one step i have not done. Now brace yourself.... How do I backup my rom? (I think I heard you fall off your lazy boy).

You said once I am done (rooting) to back it (rom) up so i have something to fall back to. Cant i just use the PC36IMG file i used when i flashed it from 2.1 to 2.2?

Or is it another step entirely? And do i store it (file, image, etc.) in the sdcard and when the phone crashes or whatever just reboot into the bootloader and flash or what?

Will this backup cover all my apps and settings too or just the OS, bootloader and default apps?

One last question... is there anyway to reboot from the bootloader without taking out the battery? I mean when i go in the bootloader to look around w/out making changes.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:28 PM
White Monster > Red Bull
Pocket PC: Clean S4 - Development stopped - xposed mod
Carrier: AT&T

thacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to thacounty Send a message via MSN to thacounty Send a message via Skype™ to thacounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by havek View Post
Yes, flashed with the rooted version of stock (froyo). It's a default thing if you follow the exact steps over at xda (where you suggested i go).

Hey, sorry to do this to you buuuuut now that I got everything I need/want on my phone i just realized there is one step i have not done. Now brace yourself.... How do I backup my rom? (I think I heard you fall off your lazy boy).

You said once I am done (rooting) to back it (rom) up so i have something to fall back to. Cant i just use the PC36IMG file i used when i flashed it from 2.1 to 2.2?

Or is it another step entirely? And do i store it (file, image, etc.) in the sdcard and when the phone crashes or whatever just reboot into the bootloader and flash or what?

Will this backup cover all my apps and settings too or just the OS, bootloader and default apps?

One last question... is there anyway to reboot from the bootloader without taking out the battery? I mean when i go in the bootloader to look around w/out making changes.
In recovery there is an option for backup/restore. Choose Nand Backup. that will take a couple mins and you will be backed up. It stays on the SD and you can put it on your comp too if you want. Don't change the name unless you don't put spaces in it, it won't work if its named "todays backup" but it will if it is named "todaysbackup".

If you are in recovery there is an option at the top on the main screen to reboot. If you don't have a recovery, flash one. I suggest Amon RA 1.8.0. But its up to you.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:52 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by havek View Post

Happy to help Bro.
To pick up where thacounty left off...
The nand is a complete copy of your ROM as it is when you back it up. EVERYthing. When you restore it you will be back to your ROM at the moment you did the backup as if you never left.
To take apps and settings from one ROM to another you want an app like Titanium Backup from the Market-free or paid versions.
To get into Recovery and/or Bootloader easily get Quickboot from the Market-free. It will give you the option to boot into Recovery, or Bootloader directly from the OS. It also has a Reboot option.
Like thacounty said you should be able to choose Reboot from Recovery or bootloader to get back into the OS.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:25 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Vibrant galaxy s
Carrier: T-Mobile

argentinito is becoming a great contributor
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

any advice? Im kinda scare i did flash my imagio n its was easy but i dont know why im so insecure about root my evo ... what room do u recomment me? I want to have a better battery life... thanks guys
Old 09-09-2010, 06:09 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

coppermine18 is just getting started
Re: im plannin to root my evo this weekend!!!!

OMGGGGGGGG!!!!

There are plenty of threads on just these kinds of questions, as well as a search function. I would recommend doing some footwork on your own if you would like some response.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:00 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HitachiG1000, ppc6700,I730,Mogul,Touch,TP,TP2, EVO

lefty11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlefty11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlefty11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

maybe you could try something like juice defender to help with battery life if that is the main thing you are looking for.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:59 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Vibrant galaxy s
Carrier: T-Mobile

argentinito is becoming a great contributor
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I do have juice defender n i want to root to have a damn screenshot appli. Lol
Old 09-09-2010, 10:45 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo Shift 4G

tokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stuff

Here's the thread on how to root android 2.2. Read carefully, and read again. If you still have questions, read the thread again...there are video links on there too.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=765496
Old 09-09-2010, 11:07 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 & Hero & Evo 4G

xcon is keeping up the good workxcon is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokuzumi View Post
Here's the thread on how to root android 2.2. Read carefully, and read again. If you still have questions, read the thread again...there are video links on there too.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=765496
While this method works, its ALOT of leg work in my opinion...

I used the un-released unrevoked 3.2 method and then unrevoked forever'd my phone and it took literally all of 5 min max... I strongly recommend using that method instead, less to mess up.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:51 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: His and Her HTC EVO's

travisr528 is keeping up the good worktravisr528 is keeping up the good work

I recommend doing it the long way. That way you understand more and if you mess things up down the road you will be more knowledgeable and may be able to fix it easier.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
backup, basics, easy, evo, hboot-.076, help root, htc evo 4g, htc evo password, radio-1.36.00.04.02, recovery, restore, root, rooting, videos