PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 11:07 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Epic 4G Touch
Carrier: Sprint

tool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to tool2269 Send a message via Yahoo to tool2269
Re: where's the rooting-specific sticky/subforum?

all 2.2 rooting methods require downgrade to 2.1 then rooting from there. most 'instructions' showing this method use 'unrevoked' to root.

i highly suggest replacing the instructions about 'unrevoked' with 'simpleroot' or any other FULL root method.

basically you just need to go from 2.2 to 2.1, then root using any 2.1 method you prefer.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:12 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community
re: EVERYTHING EVO - Rooting | NAND | Flashing Roms | Wipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by havek View Post
I am new to this rooting business so i have some questions.

1. when/at what point should i backup my stock rom or as i believe you call it do a nand backup. I know the difference between a stock and custom rom i just dont know which one i am supposed to backup. If a stock rom backup is plausible then great cause my phone is still under warranty. I'm sure you know why this is a concern.

2. i see you say to install a custom rom or atleast the rooted version of the sprint rom but i followed the link you suggest and i dont know which one is the most recent. Could you help identify the correct one.

Currently I have the OTA 2.2 froyo stock for my HTC Evo. Thanks.

BTW I am following these steps: ROOTING Part I and Part II (Full Root) section 2 ver 2. I believe this is the right option for my phone. Again thanks
First, with Froyo you need to start here
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=765496
as Fast has linked in Post #1.
After you complete the process you can come back here for more tips on flashing and backing up.
AFAIK there is no way to back up the stock, unrooted ROM.
Once you root then you should back up your ROM so you have something to fall back to.
What ROM you choose is up to you.
I'm mobile atm, search for rooted Stock Froyo for the Evo. I'll post a link later if you can't find it.
EDIT:
Here's a link to Stock Froyo, rooted
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=743352

and +1 what tool said, follow the instructions to downgrade Froyo to an earlier OS and use any method to root. Personally I'd use the instructions from Fast's tutorial or Simply root (which is just the automatic version of the steps listed here by Fast)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyepoker View Post
I've been waiting until everyone else has worked through the whole rooting business for froyo and as I search through the forums it occurred to me that there hasn't been any recent activity on the topic - seems like we should have a master thread or single area for it. I've still got the original OS on my evo and am curious about 2.2 - what are the various methods of rooting 2.2 after the allowing the OTA? The ony thing I have seen is unrevoked forever.... anything else out there?
Congrats on getting moved to the "master thread"
Like tool points out, there is no root method for Froyo. Froyo can be downgraded to an earlier OS and then that can be rooted as always.

Last edited by iknowsquat; 09-06-2010 at 04:02 PM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:18 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: boost mobile

ricomilion is a n00b
SD card root method? froyo 2.2

Hi, my evo has a broken usb port, so i can not sync. is there any way i can root it over the sd card?
Old 09-06-2010, 01:36 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

babyoche is a n00b
Re: Please Need Help Unlocking phone

or u can just ask ur girlfriend, she know everything.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:40 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: EVO

havek is a n00b

Dude thanks a million. My Evo is now rooted.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:45 PM
Lurker

havek is a n00b

Hey, I've got another few questions if you dont mind me asking.

While I was rooting I ran into some additional info. One was that to root the Evo 2.2 all one had to do was:
1. download the PC36IMG file to the Evo's sdcard
2. reboot into the bootloader
3. flash
4. end of story

Is that possible? What difference is there from the path you suggested versus what is being said at the follwoing link: http://www.androidcentral.com/evo-4g-root-instructions As far as i am concerned my phone is rooted and I am thankful that you pointed me in the right direction. Still I thought I'd ask.

Moderator, I apologize if i'm not supposed to add links but no harm is meant. I just like to provide evidence. Hey if someone can benefit from this than great.

Also, was the bootloader modified in the rooting process you suggested? Really I dont care but someone who wants to root asked me and as far as I saw the bootloader was not modified. I thought I'd ask however since I am new to this.

Thanks again. You guys are the best.

Last edited by havek; 09-07-2010 at 12:47 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:08 PM
White Monster > Red Bull
Pocket PC: Clean S4 - Development stopped - xposed mod
Carrier: AT&T

thacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to thacounty Send a message via MSN to thacounty Send a message via Skype™ to thacounty

Quote:

While I was rooting I ran into some additional info. One was that to root the Evo 2.2 all one had to do was:
3. flash
4. end of story

Is that possible? What difference is there from the path you suggested versus what is being said at the follwoing link: http://www.androidcentral.com/evo-4g-root-instructions As far as i am concerned my phone is rooted and I am thankful that you pointed me in the right direction. Still I thought I'd ask.

Moderator, I apologize if i'm not supposed to add links but no harm is meant. I just like to provide evidence. Hey if someone can benefit from this than great.

Also, was the bootloader modified in the rooting process you suggested? Really I dont care but someone who wants to root asked me and as far as I saw the bootloader was not modified. I thought I'd ask however since I am new to this.

This is for Eclair, please don't run this as it will have negative effects on your Evo.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:24 PM
Retired Staff

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Quote:

3. flash
4. end of story

Glad you got it.
That method I linked you to was two fold.
First the Froyo downgrade then the root method.
Like I and others said, you can downgrade then choose any root method.
If you went with the unrevoked method you *may* not have full root-unlocked nand. I assume that is what you are referring to with the "modified bootloader"?
Double check by booting into bootloader manually.
Power off, then Power on while holding Volume Down.
At the top of the screen it will say S-On or S-Off. You want it to say S-Off. Also, if you have an unlocked nand ("full root") then your hboot will be .76.2.
Check it and let us know what it says.

Like thacounty said that link you mentioned (and there's no issue with posting relevant links btw) is old, for the 2.1 or Eclair. Froyo users cant run it, it may/may not cause havoc with the deivce. IMO the file would have no effect.

For current Froyo users the root process just got a whole lot simpler. There is now a one step root method for Froyo-you missed by a day or two
Send your Bud here
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=776477

I have not tested it nor do I know any issues that may arise. As always proceed at your own risk. If your friend reads the thread and has qualms then you can always walk him/her through the method you used.
Good luck and welcome to the party!
Old 09-07-2010, 11:28 PM
Lurker

havek is a n00b

Thanks to thacounty and Iknowsquat for your input and guidance.

I booted into the bootloader and this is what i have. hboot 0.93.0000 and s-off. I guess its one of those "she's a little pregnant". Got the symptoms but not fully developed. hahaha.

Sooo, I can leave it at this or should I keep going? And what would keep going mean? (I mean other than having a full root).

For all sakes and purposes I don't mind going further if I can learn to develop for mobile OS's or atleast hack them. Yes i do program but for open systems.

But for starters i just want the hotspot up and running which i have not been able to do so far. Any insights?

Again, you guys are great.

PS. I'll stick with your suggested rooting methods and point anyone and everyone there.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:14 AM
Retired Staff

Quote:
Thanks to thacounty and Iknowsquat for your input and guidance.

I booted into the bootloader and this is what i have. hboot 0.93.0000 and s-off. I guess its one of those "she's a little pregnant". Got the symptoms but not fully developed. hahaha.

Sooo, I can leave it at this or should I keep going? And what would keep going mean? (I mean other than having a full root).

For all sakes and purposes I don't mind going further if I can learn to develop for mobile OS's or atleast hack them. Yes i do program but for open systems.

But for starters i just want the hotspot up and running which i have not been able to do so far. Any insights?

Again, you guys are great.

PS. I'll stick with your suggested rooting methods and point anyone and everyone there.
The S-Off is what you want.
I'm thinking the .93 hboot is courtesy of the unrevoked team-must be the version that gets installed when you run their root method.
Regardless, since you have S-Off (Security Off) your nand is unlocked and you have what is considered "full root". Congrats.

For wireless tethering the only reason you would use the Sprint Hotspot would be if you were paying for it.
Wireless Tether by Muller, Lemons, and Buxton from the Market will allow you to tether for free.
It is included in a lot of custom ROMs.
Did you flash a custom ROM or at least the rooted version of Stock?
If you did then that app should work.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
backup, basics, easy, evo, hboot-.076, help root, htc evo 4g, htc evo password, radio-1.36.00.04.02, recovery, restore, root, rooting, videos