PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2010, 02:19 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

TheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: We Got 2.2 Root!

Can you use this method to end up with DC 3.2.3, and just skip 2.2 for the time being?
Old 08-26-2010, 06:39 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC One M8
Carrier: Verizon

Karl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Karl Send a message via Yahoo to Karl Send a message via Skype™ to Karl
Re: We Got 2.2 Root!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockcycle View Post
I tried to take the OTA, downloaded just fine, when it went through it's thing it rebooting, extracting, applying, it failed. Leaving a /!\ and android on screen. Looks like the 2.2 OTA won't install on a unrevoked3 rooted phone according to posts found on other forums.

I am gonna just use the recovery to flash the rooted ota by netarchy. EDIT: This got me to 2.2 OTA xx.6, without updating the Baseband. TROUBLE: My phone will not sync, charge, otherwise recognize it is connected to a PC after the initial connection. It thinks I pulled the cable. Take in mind I have gone through all these steps being able to prior tot he last step i took... YMMV careful!

-CC

FOLLOW UP: Manually updated the radio to xx.28 via recovery and I am able to use any USB cable once again to connect to the PC.
hey can you use unrevoked on a pre-rooted evo to turn s-off without having to reflash rom?
or use unrevoked to turn s-off and then restore nandroid ?

sense it has an s-off/s-on tool i wanna use it

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."

Last edited by Karl; 08-26-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:13 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc evo
Carrier: sprint

chopped_ya is a n00b
re: EVERYTHING EVO - Rooting | NAND | Flashing Roms | Wipe

yea so im kinda new to the andriod and i have the new version on my evo i was wondering how to flash my roms and get the old version back after i root it if this is covored in your thread please let me know and also will this brick my phone if i do root it. just let me know and i might have other questions thanks for you time
Old 08-28-2010, 10:03 PM
White Monster > Red Bull
Pocket PC: Clean S4 - Development stopped - xposed mod
Carrier: AT&T

thacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to thacounty Send a message via MSN to thacounty Send a message via Skype™ to thacounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopped_ya View Post
yea so im kinda new to the andriod and i have the new version on my evo i was wondering how to flash my roms and get the old version back after i root it if this is covored in your thread please let me know and also will this brick my phone if i do root it. just let me know and i might have other questions thanks for you time
A bricked phone would be useless. There are no tutorials here with that ending in mind.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:20 AM
boostedbanana is VIP!!
Pocket PC: Supercharged EVO with 3000mah of boost!!

stanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIP

choppedya, just follow everything word for word, step by step, and you'll be fine. There are a lot of very helpful and knowledgable people on here who are more than willing to help!!

Modding phones and modding Mustangs..
My white Evo with a black battery door is SEXY!!
Old 08-29-2010, 04:29 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopped_ya View Post
Downgrading Froyo is not covered here, however after you downgrade you can use this tutorial to obtain root and learn about flashing ROMs.
First go here for downgrading instructions:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=765496
EDIT:FASTRX8 Does have this link in Post #2

Once it says:
Once it is finished, select restart. You now are on the stock 2.1 build of Android.

you can either continue with their instructions or come here and follow the tutorial for root.
If you choose to use these instructions then you will most likely start with Step 5 Root after 1.47 OTA-confirm your software version via Menu/settings/about phone/software info/software number

With these instructions you will want a rooted version of Froyo such as this:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=743352

As I understand it if you follow the unrevoked instructions from the thread I linked you have some more options about what to flash.
Hope that helps.

Last edited by iknowsquat; 08-29-2010 at 04:34 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

lxcivic4life is keeping up the good worklxcivic4life is keeping up the good worklxcivic4life is keeping up the good work
Help with rooting stock 2.2 - error writing misc: No space

All,

I am very sorry if this has been asked, but I searched and could not find an answer...

I am trying to root my stock 2.2 froyo evo.

I am following the steps from regaw_leinad's guide at XDA.

I perform all the steps successfully until I get to:

cd /data/local
./flash_image misc /sdcard/mtd-eng.img

I keep getting:

mtd: read all-zero block at 0x00000000; skipping
mtd: not writing bad block at 0x00080000
error writing misc: No space left on device
#

According to regaw_leinad's guide, if I get this error, I should reboot phone and try again, but I have and still same error.

Any help?
Old 08-31-2010, 09:18 AM
White Monster > Red Bull
Pocket PC: Clean S4 - Development stopped - xposed mod
Carrier: AT&T

thacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to thacounty Send a message via MSN to thacounty Send a message via Skype™ to thacounty
Re: Help with rooting stock 2.2 - error writing misc: No space

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxcivic4life View Post
All,

I am very sorry if this has been asked, but I searched and could not find an answer...

I am trying to root my stock 2.2 froyo evo.

I am following the steps from regaw_leinad's guide at XDA.

I perform all the steps successfully until I get to:

cd /data/local
./flash_image misc /sdcard/mtd-eng.img

I keep getting:

mtd: read all-zero block at 0x00000000; skipping
mtd: not writing bad block at 0x00080000
error writing misc: No space left on device
#

According to regaw_leinad's guide, if I get this error, I should reboot phone and try again, but I have and still same error.

Any help?
Reboot phone and pc. Try again.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:01 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc evo
Carrier: sprint

chopped_ya is a n00b

ok so last night i completed the rooting process that is on http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=765496 which is the one on the first post by RX8 so i was wondering is this the full root? and also what custom roms are there to get and where to i get them? i have seen phone with the wifi tether (which i have installed) and other apps like the snes imulator and use the wiimote on them. Is there a forum that ecplains where to get and how to do these. Thanks for your time.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:51 PM
boostedbanana is VIP!!
Pocket PC: Supercharged EVO with 3000mah of boost!!

stanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIP

This forum has a lot of ROMs and apps. You can also check out XDA

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
backup, basics, easy, evo, hboot-.076, help root, htc evo 4g, htc evo password, radio-1.36.00.04.02, recovery, restore, root, rooting, videos