PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2010, 10:52 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Epic 4G Touch
Carrier: Sprint

tool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to tool2269 Send a message via Yahoo to tool2269
Re: We Got 2.2 Root!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristopher135@yahoo. om View Post
Hey I'm stuck on this part
"4. After unzipping the contents of evo-root.zip to your android sdk tools folder and placing the PC36IMG.zip and unrevoked-forever.zip in the folder, type these commands in cmd prompt from your tools directory."

can anyone help? how do I get to the cmd prompt from my tools directory?
exit out the tools folder so that you can see the folder, but not in it.

now hold down "SHIFT" and right click. one option is 'open command prompt'

you should now be where you need to be.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:11 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

kristopher135@yahoo. om is becoming a great contributor

thanks!
Old 08-26-2010, 11:27 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: EVO

feedDunk is a n00b

Awesome, thanks.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:51 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC One M8
Carrier: Verizon

Karl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Karl Send a message via Yahoo to Karl Send a message via Skype™ to Karl

glad to hear 2.2 can be downgraded
and glad unrevoked forever has made a tool to turn s-on
now ill use it to make sure i never lose root

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."

Last edited by Karl; 08-26-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:21 PM
boostedbanana is VIP!!
Pocket PC: Supercharged EVO with 3000mah of boost!!

stanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIP

Congrats!! I'm happy for you guys who were stuck and couldnt root. Now you all can really use and enjoy your Evo also.

Modding phones and modding Mustangs..
My white Evo with a black battery door is SEXY!!
Old 08-26-2010, 01:42 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO,TP2,Diamond

searcher61 knows their stuffsearcher61 knows their stuffsearcher61 knows their stuffsearcher61 knows their stuffsearcher61 knows their stuffsearcher61 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockcycle View Post
Cool, thanks for the heads up. I had wondered why we hadn't this option when I saw it for the Droid.

EDIT: Followed instructions, so far I have completed applying the PC36IMG.zip. It dropped the bootloader version to 0.79 from 0.93, rebooted Hboot and flashed the rest of the image, got me back to full 2.1... Going through with rooting now. Take into consideration I have not attempted to root previously.. So IMHO the instructions are fairly easy to follow.

ROOTED: Rooted using unrevoked3, then applied unrevoked-forever. Gonna take the OTA now.
If you take the std OTA Froyo....will unrevoked-forever keep your root? Or do you need to use one of the Rooted version of the std ota froyo?
Old 08-26-2010, 01:54 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: a phone
Carrier: none of your buisness

Boo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on repBoo Boo is halfway to VIP status based on rep

i'd really like 2.2 without the disabling of the off/on switch but it seems that wont happen
Old 08-26-2010, 01:55 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

JeffKay is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJeffKay is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJeffKay is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJeffKay is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Friggen Awesome!!!
Old 08-26-2010, 02:12 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG v10
Carrier: T-mobile

clockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by searcher61 View Post
If you take the std OTA Froyo....will unrevoked-forever keep your root? Or do you need to use one of the Rooted version of the std ota froyo?
I tried to take the OTA, downloaded just fine, when it went through it's thing it rebooting, extracting, applying, it failed. Leaving a /!\ and android on screen. Looks like the 2.2 OTA won't install on a unrevoked3 rooted phone according to posts found on other forums.

I am gonna just use the recovery to flash the rooted ota by netarchy. EDIT: This got me to 2.2 OTA xx.6, without updating the Baseband. TROUBLE: My phone will not sync, charge, otherwise recognize it is connected to a PC after the initial connection. It thinks I pulled the cable. Take in mind I have gone through all these steps being able to prior tot he last step i took... YMMV careful!

-CC

FOLLOW UP: Manually updated the radio to xx.28 via recovery and I am able to use any USB cable once again to connect to the PC.

Last edited by clockcycle; 08-26-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:14 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG v10
Carrier: T-mobile

clockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
i'd really like 2.2 without the disabling of the off/on switch but it seems that wont happen
You can now turn S-off or S-on. You can also revert to 2.1, root and flash a rooted 2.2 without using the S-off tool. The S-off tool just gives you the peace of mind to take OTA and still be able to flash recovery images in case the OTA isn't rootable etc..

-CC

Last edited by clockcycle; 08-26-2010 at 02:19 PM.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
backup, basics, easy, evo, hboot-.076, help root, htc evo 4g, htc evo password, radio-1.36.00.04.02, recovery, restore, root, rooting, videos