PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2010, 12:47 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo
Carrier: Sprint

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
re: EVERYTHING EVO - Rooting | NAND | Flashing Roms | Wipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by logik777 View Post
ok in section 1 & 2 i got all the files on my evo an extracted the evo-recovery file to my C: drive on my pc in order to do root my evo do i have to be connected to the pc via sync.......getting ready to root my evo an just want to know before i start TIA......LGK777
Make sure USB debugging is enabled
Menu/settings/applications/development
Then you should be able to run with Sync or Charge Only enabled.
A sync does not need to happen for it to work correctly.
Do not have your SD card mounted or the files on it will not be accessible.
Have fun.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc touch 6900
Carrier: sprint

logik777 is a n00b

in other words it does not have to be connected to the pc?
or just select charge only an leave it connect to the pc......sorry really new to this.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:04 PM
Retired Staff

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
in other words it does not have to be connected to the pc?
In other words

YES

it most certainly does for certain steps.
It will say in the tutorial when it is required.
Watch Fast's video, you'll see it happen before your very eyes

Fast has included Step 2 Version1 so you dont need the PC for that part. If you use Step 2 Version 2-Using the PC, well, then....you need the PC
EDIT:
Quote:
or just select charge only an leave it connect to the pc......sorry really new to this.
Bingo

Last edited by iknowsquat; 08-22-2010 at 01:10 PM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

logik777 is a n00b

thanks for the quick replys iknowsquat very helpful.........LGK777
I'll post back with my progress in a couple got to take the Fam. out for Breakfest.......Later.........LGK777
Old 08-22-2010, 02:48 PM
boostedbanana is VIP!!
Pocket PC: Supercharged EVO with 3000mah of boost!!

stanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowsquat View Post
stang-I know the feeling. I myself was well versed in WinMo and felt lost as hell in the beginning. Once you get past the learning curve I think you'll find Android very easy.
Just an FYI-find a ROM you like, set it up ENTIRELY as you like it and back that up. Then you know you always have that to fall back on and you dont HAVE to backup before every flash. You always can, but dont have to.
Remember the backup is a complete copy of your ROM, not a way to transport data/settings.
For that you'll want to get a program like Titanium backup from the Market. There's a small learning curve with that as well but it's great for backing up/restoring apps, email, Sense settings, etc.
Once you shed your Droid n00b status you can pull your data.img from your nand and use THAT to restore all your data. OMJ talks about it HERE
The Android SDK OMJ mentions is not required to enjoy the hell out of your device but it is a great tool for going "behind the scenes". I've only scratched the surface with it.
Fast's Thank button is working now, just hit any of them, or more than one-he deserves it fo sho! =D>
Cool man, thanks. i will read up on that link later on this evening(about to leave the house now). I defenitely plan on going through this thread and hitting "thanks" on most of FastRX8's posts. His write-up is awesome and without it I woud not be fully rooted and nand unlocked right now..

Modding phones and modding Mustangs..
My white Evo with a black battery door is SEXY!!
Old 08-22-2010, 04:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

logik777 is a n00b

ok i did all the steps . everything went smoothly it appears so when i check to see if my evo was roted thru adb shell i get this message
adb server is out of date. killing...
* daemon started suceessfully *
#
soby seeing this sign i beleive in fully rooted correct.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:51 PM
Retired Staff

Quote:
ok i did all the steps . everything went smoothly it appears so when i check to see if my evo was roted thru adb shell i get this message
adb server is out of date. killing...
* daemon started suceessfully *
#
soby seeing this sign i beleive in fully rooted correct.

Congrats Bro! You are rooted but not necessarily fully.
(You may occasionally see an "unsuccessful" message when trying to run adb. Just re-run it if you do and you'll be all set.)
To have "full root" you need to be nand unlocked-flashing the eng-PC36 file portion of the steps you did. As long as you did all the steps without error you should be fine.
Verify by loading bootloader-power off then power back on while holding down Volume down (if you didnt remove/rename the last PC36 file you used the device will read it but you can just select "NO" when it asks you if you want to proceed)
While in bootloader if it says hboot .76.2 you have successfully unlocked your nand and are "fully" rooted.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

logik777 is a n00b

ok so i did not remove the v1.7 rom from my sd card so to check if im fully rooted i need to turn off the phone power it back on. by while holding down Volume down it will turn on it will read an i will be able to select no....
ok so i did not get that message is because i named omj rom to v1.7-pc36img...?
so should i remove the previous files i instaaled in section one an just leave the pc36img file

Last edited by logik777; 08-22-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:14 PM
Retired Staff

Quote:
ok so i did not remove the v1.7 rom from my sd card so to check if im fully rooted i need to turn off the phone power it back on. by while holding down Volume down it will turn on it will read an i will be able to select no....
The ROM you have on your card does not matter.
During the root process you loaded a PC36IMG file onto your card, loaded bootloader and had the device read your card.
Fast tells you to remove/rename that file after you are finished.
If you dont, every time you load bootloader the device will read the file.
No biggie (just a waste of time) as long as you select "No" when it asks if you want to update. Just remove the file from your card and it wont be an issue.

If you have OMJ v1.7 ROM1 on your card then load you bootloader to flash it since that is in the same file format-PC36IMG as the rooting files. Make sure you remove the other rooting files first though to be safe.
You cant flash v1.7 ROM1 without being nand unlocked so if you can flash that then that could be your test and you will see your hboot version while its being read.

fyi-most ROM files are not in that format, just v1.7 ROM1 to get the proper files from the 1.47 OTA update.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

logik777 is a n00b

ok this is what i have inmy software info.
firmware ver.= 2.1 updated1
baseband ver.=1.36.00.04.02
kernerl ver.=2.6.29-ac94cf60
build num.=1.17.651.1 cl160858
software num.=1.17651.1
so where did i go wrong or what step did i mess up on.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
backup, basics, easy, evo, hboot-.076, help root, htc evo 4g, htc evo password, radio-1.36.00.04.02, recovery, restore, root, rooting, videos