PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2010, 05:20 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

TheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Got My Evo_Thoughts after 24hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evo View Post
You're comparing a TP2 to the Evo??? And this coming from someone who currently owns a TP2. Windows Mobile vs. Android is no comparison. And you seem to discredit yourself in so many ways. You self-admittedly say "I haven't given the Android market a fair chance yet..." then you continue to go and and try to use the Windows Apps as a huge reason the TP2 has an advantage. If you haven't given Android a try---something that is a HUGE factor in why the Evo is so great---how can you run on here and try to give a FAIR and unbaised review??? I don't even own an Evo yet and I can guarantee physical keyboard or not, the TP2 doesn't compare to the Evo.

And again, it's getting progressively harder to not blatantly dole out insults to you people ... you're bitchin' about a $10 fee ... odds are you blow through ten dollars every few days on fast food or other crap that you could do without. And again, I'm all for $10 extra if it means I can download and stream video UNCAPPED. I don't pay any fees for tethering on my TP2 ... I have wifi router and I typically consume on average 11GB of data per month ... and that's with relatively little downloading. I'll gladly pay the extra $10 if it means I don't have to walk on eggshells all the time. Get over it.
I picked mine up tonight, and I agree with him. When the TP2 is working good, this doesn't beat it for all-around functionality and ease of use. I'm not sure if I'll make the jump or not. The number on it is paid up until the 20th of June, so I have a lot of time to try and make it do the things I need it to do. Android certainly seems to be more stable - of that there is no doubt, and that is my biggest gripe about the TP2. But to imply that everything about the Evo is better is just not true. However, I will try to resolve as many as I can through software, and I am leaning towards making a permanent switch. We'll see in the coming days and weeks.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:28 AM
VIP Member

TheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisH09 View Post
Evo 4G - 1Ghz Snapdragon Processor
Touch Pro 2 - 528MHz Qualcomm Processor

Hmm..double the speed, but the TP2 still is better? How did you come to that conclusion? Even the amount of RAM and ROM on the Evo is way bigger. I currently have the TP2 and can say from experience that phone is "half" of what the Evo is. The Qwerty keyboard is just a added fasion, if you can't type on a onscreen keyboard, you don't deserve to own a Smartphone, physical keyboards are just one more thing to break, or stop working. Windows Mobile Apps? Are you serious? They are 90% junk...horrible layouts, look like a kid made them...and tweaking programs are the worst of it. You shouldn't have to load your phone up with tweaking programs, it should come out of the box ready to use...without alteration..

Your whole thing on the $10 mandated fee is semi wrong. The fee is for data usage yes, but it also is part of what kind of phone you are getting. There is no other phone out there right now that can even come close to the Evo in terms of specs, and features.

Evo 4G (3G/4G data capable, Mobile Hotspot up to 8 devices, Dual cameras with flash, one of which is capable of 720P video, kickstand, 4.3inch screen, HDMI out...and many more.

Can you tell me any other phone out there that can even come close? Yeah, maybe the HTC Incredible, but it lacks in areas that Evo has. The $10 fee is to cover all those and data usage, uncapped 4G usage...I'm more than willing to pay for that...it really is a very small price to pay when it comes to what you get.

Try out the Android Market, you will be suprised what you see and how much of it is free. I can tell you there are programs in the market I wish I could have on my TP2, that will never ever come...So wake up..take another dip into the Evo World!
What's with all the vitriol? I agree with some of what you say, and disagree with other things. The keyboard on the TP2 isn't any more likely to break than the kickstand on the Evo. Until Froyo, all apps load to main memory. My free memory went from 370 down to 272 loading up some free apps from the MarketPlace. And I never ran out on the TP2, so what difference does it make that the Evo has twice as much? And twice the speed? That doesn't matter to most things, now does it? Phone calls? No. Reading, doing email, playing Teeter, texting - lets face it, for most things the TP2 is faster than needed. And the 720p video isn't that good - I took one tonight and uploaded it to YouTube, and my TP2 would have done about as good with a file one tenth (1/10th) the size.

Your assertion that "if you can't type on a onscreen keyboard, you don't deserve to own a Smartphone" is just insulting and stupid. Objectivity is needed, not fanboys.
This post has been thanked 6 times.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:22 AM
VIP Member

Re: Likes & Dislikes of the EVO...

One thing you need to remember about the Send and End key situation in that the Evo screen only works with bare skin. It won't with with gloves on, or with a "tool", like a stylus, pen, whatever. A physical Send and End key thus would have been nice for when you are wearing gloves. I realize that every phone has compromises, just so folks realize that this phone has made some too - it is not perfect, any more than than the last "greatest ever" phone you lusted after was perfect (you know, the phone that you can't wait to replace with an Evo now lol)
Old 05-28-2010, 06:49 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G Touch

ChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuff

Do you relized when you upload video to youtube it is compressed? I posted on your youtube that I've seen way better quality than what your video showed from a Evo 4G. I take the comment back on the keyboard deal, it's a nice feature but I find myself using the onscreen keyboard more than the physical one. Personal pref I guess.

Advanced Task Killer will take care of those memory issues on that phone or any Android Device at that. The question that keeps swirling in my head is how people still like the TP2 even with all the issues it has. Windows Mobile runs like junk unless you find a stripped ROM, or put massive amounts of tweaks on it. I feel I shouldn't have to deal with all that to have my phone working. Ever since I moved to 6.5 on my TP2 it has run choppy, lots of memory is eatin up...and there are hardly any apps worth getting. You may say different, but the feel and look of them is horrible.

I used the Evo, I may have a few concerns but the pros outweigh the cons at this moment...it offers alot more in the sense of functionality than the TP2 will anyday...

Apps are readly available, look cleaner...and function better.

I know your opinion on the TP2 and the Evo, but my opinion leans towards the Evo.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:28 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Do you relized when you upload video to youtube it is compressed? I posted on your youtube that I've seen way better quality than what your video showed from a Evo 4G. I take the comment back on the keyboard deal, it's a nice feature but I find myself using the onscreen keyboard more than the physical one. Personal pref I guess.

Advanced Task Killer will take care of those memory issues on that phone or any Android Device at that. The question that keeps swirling in my head is how people still like the TP2 even with all the issues it has. Windows Mobile runs like junk unless you find a stripped ROM, or put massive amounts of tweaks on it. I feel I shouldn't have to deal with all that to have my phone working. Ever since I moved to 6.5 on my TP2 it has run choppy, lots of memory is eatin up...and there are hardly any apps worth getting. You may say different, but the feel and look of them is horrible.

I used the Evo, I may have a few concerns but the pros outweigh the cons at this moment...it offers alot more in the sense of functionality than the TP2 will anyday...

Apps are readly available, look cleaner...and function better.

I know your opinion on the TP2 and the Evo, but my opinion leans towards the Evo.
The last 3 hours of playing with the Evo have me leaning much more toward it than the TP2. The software is generally much better, and often has a link to a video user guide online. As with WM, there are some programs in the same genre that are better than others. For instance, I downloaded 2 programs that identify items from scanning it with the camera. One is called Goggles, and the other Shopper. In testing both, Goggles immedeiately identified my pack of Pall Malls, but Shopper never could. So a varying degree of quality between software titles is as with any other platform.

On the other hand, nothing has crashed the Evo, nor does it seem to be slowing down. This despite the fact I haven't killed any tasks (haven't got that far yet lol). If I'm like many of you, the discovery and adventure of a new phone is half the fun (or more). This one sure is fun. I welcome the flash back for the camera, but have yet to find an app that works it as a flashlight. I'm sure one is out there, or will be soon.

I agree that WM is junk. I wish the TP2 had been natively an Android phone. The only 3 things better about this hardware are the screen size, the camera flash, and the processor speed. That is, for daily use for me. I never hooked my TP2 up to a TV, and may never do this one either. But for emergency use, say watching TV when the cable is out, either one would work. I'll never see 4g where I live, so the choppiness would probably be the same.

Don't get me wrong, I still value the fact it has 4g. I would rather have things I may never need than not. That why I miss more buttons and the IR port that the Mogul had. If only I could design a phone..........

The flip side of the coin, hardware wise, can't be overlooked either. The TP2 was a pretty nice form factor in many ways, but even as I decided to make compromises when I moved from the Mogul to the TP2, there will be some here too. But all-in-all, I'm leaning harder than a few hours ago to the Evo.

One thing folks will notice when they get theirs is that the screen is so big, and so touch sensitive, that using it one-handed (in portrait mode) is a little tough, because unless you have super-long thumbs, reaching accross to the opposite side of the screen means your thumb is fully extended, and some other part of your thumb, particularily the joint in the middle, can touch the screen where you aren't aiming for, sending it off in some other direction than you intended. It is HUGE in the hand when doing things on-screen one-handed.

Last edited by TheBundo; 05-28-2010 at 07:30 AM.
This post has been thanked 6 times.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:00 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

SkunkApe is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSkunkApe is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSkunkApe is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSkunkApe is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSkunkApe is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I went from the TP2 to the Hero. Im not going to go into a giant novel like most did, but basically after using WinMo for years...I got sick of it and finally realized it was junk. Decided to make the jump to android and it was the best decision i have made with a phone.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:38 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkApe View Post
I went from the TP2 to the Hero. Im not going to go into a giant novel like most did, but basically after using WinMo for years...I got sick of it and finally realized it was junk. Decided to make the jump to android and it was the best decision i have made with a phone.
I agree. I look forward to a SuperAndroid phone whose hardware incorporates the best of everything. I tested scores of software titles tonight, and was generally very impressed. Nothing made the Evo crash., and I had over 50 programs that hadn't been "killed" or exited. In fact, I was stunned that most programs, maybe 95%, don't have any "Exit" option at all. Yet, no issues at all.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:48 AM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

Quote:
There is no other phone out there right now that can even come close to the Evo in terms of specs, and features.
LG EXPO http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...sku=sku4220493
HD2 http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/phones/...-phone=HTC-HD2#
Incredible http://www.htc.com/us/products/droid...uEw#tech-specs
Nexus One http://www.google.com/phone/static/e...ech_specs.html

all arguable to have relative specs to EVO, all have 1gh processors... you didnt say overall experience, you didnt say anything about cariier plans , etc..

so umm yeah id say theres 4 other phones that are similiar in comparison to the EVO specs...

wanna talk features now:
4G: like 10 freakin people can use it, so honestly at this point, people shouldnt even use 4G as a possible "upgrade in features" since a Significant portion of people wont be able to use it for a year or more.. and by that time half the EVO users will be upgrading to the next sweet thing anyways..

kickstand: FTW yaaaaaay the EVO has a kickstand! GTFO with that isht LOL

Forward Facing Camera: new for cdma smartphones only...most stupid flip phones have a cam on front...and without 4G your front cam on an EVO is a valuable as a free flip phone at sprint that has on cam on front....., NOT new on gsm by any means, sprints late again..

QIK: is this a joke? i used to run this on my Mogul 3 yrs ago.. nothing new, nothing fantastic.. any winMO device can run it just about.. and now its rumored thats its $5 extra a month to use the enhanced video chat as well http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/05...-extra-5month/

YouTubeHD: read the reviews.. an improvement, but nothing close to what was expected..

8MP Cam: whoopty doo! im sure some devices 3MP or 5MP will stand up just fine if compared.. (the Nokia N96 is 5MP, but has Carl Zeiss optics, ill bet its cam stands up to the EVO)..

720p Record: SWEET! now try to pic mail(wont even happen) or email that 50MB 1min vid somewhere from your phone... can you say "Got a minute, have a snickers"

Battery: what, the one sprint is warning us that it consumes high amounts of power.. http://www.phonedog.com/2010/05/27/s...-that-battery/
read it.. wanna know how sprint tells you to save battery life?? turn off 4G, wifi, bluetooth, gps, send/recieve, hotspot, and live wallpaper..umm dont we use that stuff all the time though?? 4G aside...

4.3" screen: honestly, big freeeking deal.. its .5" bigger than other phones.. whatcha gonna do with that extra screen space, actually use your WHOLE finger to press instead of the tip or your nail..(you guys do know that you have to use your fingers right, theres not stylus here)

if people need to complain to feel better about paying, ok... if people need to rationalize the cost by comparing carrier rate plans, ok.. if people use the specs to rationalize the cost,ok...

but were all just lying to ourselves really..take 4G away(which you kind of have to since not alot of people get to use it)... and this phone isnt much different than several other phones already on the market..

Last edited by boredandtattooed; 05-28-2010 at 10:39 AM.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:52 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: hero cdma
Carrier: sprint

drksilenc is keeping up the good workdrksilenc is keeping up the good work

thebundo just so you know that android only keeps 6 active programs open at a time. they pause the rest so it doesnt consume all the ram
boredandtattooed bitter much? big deal ehh, its still better it may not be by much but it is still better

Last edited by drksilenc; 05-28-2010 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:54 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Epic 4G Touch

tool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to tool2269 Send a message via Yahoo to tool2269

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
but were all just lying to ourselves really..take 4G away(which you kind of have to since not alot of people get to use it)... and this phone isnt much different than several other phones already on the market..
yet we're paying ($10/mo) for something no other phone has! a rich data experience

so take that!

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
evo 4g, lemon, mic