PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2010, 02:17 PM
dLo
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

dLo is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: All Evo 4G Pre-Order Discussions Go Here

ok so i have been searching these forums for an answer to my question and haven't really found the answer i am looking for. I will be buying the EVO out of contract since i don't have an upgrade and don't plan on renewing for a 2yr contract. I was wondering if i had to buy the EVO specifically at the sprint store or if i could buy it at BB or RS and still be able to activate the phone to my line of service. I saw some maybes but not a definitive answer on that. I would like to know if i can just buy the phone, or preorder, from BB or RS cause i have a feeling that release day at a sprint store will be mad nuts and you still might not have a chance of getting it since it'll be first come first served. So does anyone know if it is possible to buy this phone from BB or RS and it be able to work since i have service through a sprint store?
Old 05-21-2010, 02:19 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

slopokdave is becoming a PPCGeeks regularslopokdave is becoming a PPCGeeks regularslopokdave is becoming a PPCGeeks regularslopokdave is becoming a PPCGeeks regularslopokdave is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dLo View Post
ok so i have been searching these forums for an answer to my question and haven't really found the answer i am looking for. I will be buying the EVO out of contract since i don't have an upgrade and don't plan on renewing for a 2yr contract. I was wondering if i had to buy the EVO specifically at the sprint store or if i could buy it at BB or RS and still be able to activate the phone to my line of service. I saw some maybes but not a definitive answer on that. I would like to know if i can just buy the phone, or preorder, from BB or RS cause i have a feeling that release day at a sprint store will be mad nuts and you still might not have a chance of getting it since it'll be first come first served. So does anyone know if it is possible to buy this phone from BB or RS and it be able to work since i have service through a sprint store?
At best buy at least, you don't have to be upgrade-eligible or out of contract to pre-order. You will just pay full price when they release.

They might not be $449.99 at best buy, but will price match Sprint, and they don't know what the 1 year upgrade price will be yet either, because they don't have an actual UPC to scan yet.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:35 PM
Regular 'Geeker

touch_rules is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartouch_rules is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartouch_rules is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Just spoke with my local sprint rep and was told this bombshell....

In addition to the extra charges (10.00 for 4G and 29.00 for hotspot wifi sharing) if you buy an EVO in an area with 3G only your data plan will be limited to 5 gb's on your hotspot. If you buy it in a 4G area you will have unlimited data on your hotspot.

I don't understand this one but I think that is rediculous!
Old 05-21-2010, 02:40 PM
Yo, VIP - Let's Kick It!!
Pocket PC: EVO - Rooted & OMJ's Rom

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
So does anyone know if it is possible to buy this phone from BB or RS and it be able to work since i have service through a sprint store?
slopokdave basically answered your question, but I just wanted to add to it so it's clear for anyone in a similar situation.

If you plan to pay full price for the phone, you can buy it anywhere you like and still get it activated to your account.
Whether it be, BB, RS, Ebay, or some guy in a back alley selling them out of a trunk. As long as the ESN is clean (which a new phone would be) you can get any Sprint phone from any source and simply swap it for your existing phone.

The discussions about buying them at BB/RS or anywhere else are more centered around the fact that people want to be able to get them on their contracts and take advantage of the discounts for upgrading. There are no issues if you're paying full price.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:43 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

slopokdave is becoming a PPCGeeks regularslopokdave is becoming a PPCGeeks regularslopokdave is becoming a PPCGeeks regularslopokdave is becoming a PPCGeeks regularslopokdave is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRX8 View Post
slopokdave basically answered your question, but I just wanted to add to it so it's clear for anyone in a similar situation.

If you plan to pay full price for the phone, you can buy it anywhere you like and still get it activated to your account.
Whether it be, BB, RS, Ebay, or some guy in a back alley selling them out of a trunk. As long as the ESN is clean (which a new phone would be) you can get any Sprint phone from any source and simply swap it for your existing phone.

The discussions about buying them at BB/RS or anywhere else are more centered around the fact that people want to be able to get them on their contracts and take advantage of the discounts for upgrading. There are no issues if you're paying full price.
Good point...

If you are buying it retail, without any rebates, either from Sprint $449.99 or from Best buy with the Sprint price match would probably be best.

I'm sure that RS will price match too from their $499.99 price, but I have no idea.... I don't shop there.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:48 PM
dLo
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

dLo is a n00b

ok... so RS just told me that i am not able to preorder the phone unless i am eligible for an upgrade or do an 'add a line'. why the EFF can they not preorder a phone for someone unless it meets those parameters... If i am willing to pay full price they should be praising the ground i walk on for making it easier for them... i hand you money and you hand me the greatest phone EVAR! seems easy enough to me... And another thing is everyone i talk to (RS, BB, Sprint) has a different answer which makes me think no one knows what the EFF they are talking about and doesnt know anything on the price or how you can get the EVO by buying it full retail which means Sprint is EFF'ing people like me that aren't eligible for an upgrade OR adding a new line. ridiculous.

*EDIT*
i want to preorder it to make sure i get my phone on the 4th =P I dont want to take a chance and go to sprint and then be all out. i am impatient enough as it is waiting til the 4th xD

Last edited by dLo; 05-21-2010 at 02:50 PM. Reason: adding text
Old 05-21-2010, 02:51 PM

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by touch_rules View Post
Just spoke with my local sprint rep and was told this bombshell....

In addition to the extra charges (10.00 for 4G and 29.00 for hotspot wifi sharing) if you buy an EVO in an area with 3G only your data plan will be limited to 5 gb's on your hotspot. If you buy it in a 4G area you will have unlimited data on your hotspot.

I don't understand this one but I think that is rediculous!
Pretty sure that's wrong. I can't see how they would be able to police that.
It's no different than someone in 4G who's got no coverage in their office building and uses 3G all day. They wouldn't be capped at 5gb.

I'd be willing to bet my future EVO's that it's not true. The rep that told you that is pretty much completely mistaken.

However, now that it's been posted on a forum, it will spread like wildfire. Soon we'll have new discussions popping up about how lame Sprint is because they're capping 3G markets.

Eventually, it will be posted as fact somewhere.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
ok... so RS just told me that i am not able to preorder the phone unless i am eligible for an upgrade or do an 'add a line'. why the EFF can they not preorder a phone for someone unless it meets those parameters...
That's an interesting issue...
I never really considered the fact that they wouldn't allow you to pre-order the phone. I guess that's their policy.

What if you just pre-order it, telling them that the day you pick it up, you'll add a line? Then the day you pick it up, tell them you changed your mind about adding a line and you just want to pay full price.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:04 PM
The EVO Guru
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

brownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

I've heard quite a few people say RS wont take pre-orders unless you're up for upgrade or are adding a new line. Didnt have this issue at BB... they dont even check your account if you tell them you're buying outright they just have you to fill out the paperwork and give you the gift card with the receipt... thats what they did to me.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopokdave View Post
I have seen some people who had pre-ordered at Best Buy and were charged tax for the $50 deposit/gift card. Was this maybe employee-error or because of their state/tax policy?
I have read about this so much, I've totally forgotten where the threads where. I think they were on sprintusers.com.

Basically my understanding is that some states are not allowed to charge sales tax on gift cards. The reason being, is that you will be charged tax twice.
For example;
If you buy a $50 gift card and the tax is 10%, you'll pay $55.
When you go back to buy something for $50, you get taxed so the total is $55.
Then you hand them the $50 gift card, they subtract it from the total, now you still owe $5.
You paid the $5 tax twice.

The way it should work is;
You pay $50 and the gift card is worth $50.
When you buy something for $50, it comes to $55 w/ tax.
You hand them the $50 gift card and pay the tax of $5.
You paid the $5 tax once.

So, if someone bought a gift card and was charged tax, they should either go back and have it corrected or keep their receipt and make sure they get the full credit applied to their purchase. If they paid $54.36 for their $50 gift card, they need to be credited $54.36 when they apply that card to a purchase.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G