PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G > CDMA HTC Evo 4G Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2011, 06:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

hindjew is keeping up the good workhindjew is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: OMJ's HTC EVO 2.2 Custom ROM v4.5 | FroYo 3.70.651.1 | *Updated 1/23/10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas123 View Post
It's a know issue with amon's recovery. Wipe the dalvik cache and try it again. I believe this was fixed in the new beta version- 2.3 IIRC
just wiped and rebooting - lets see if this sucker works. Thanks.

UPDATE: backup running for about 20 minutes. (battery was fully charged, so I'm not worried). How long does a backup usually take? (I'm used to 5 minutes MAX))

UPDATE 2: About an hour and still ticking away.. another hangup - I'm doing another battery pull. This sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLord View Post
There is zero reason to remove footprints. If you knew what it did and how to use it, you wouldn't want to trash it.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk Pro
Just curious, what exactly does it do? (not removing it, but not using it either)

Last edited by hindjew; 01-29-2011 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:13 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy SIII
Carrier: Straight Talk

DarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindjew View Post

UPDATE: backup running for about 20 minutes. (battery was fully charged, so I'm not worried). How long does a backup usually take? (I'm used to 5 minutes MAX))

UPDATE 2: About an hour and still ticking away.. another hangup - I'm doing another battery pull. This sucks

Just curious, what exactly does it do? (not removing it, but not using it either)
An easy address store/retrieval/location program. Whenever I'm out and about and I see a park or a restaurant or place that id like to return to but have no idea how I got where it is, I take a picture with footprints and it adds a gps coordinate. When im ready to go back there, I simply go into footprints, retrieve the picture and use google navigation to go back to it. I also use it for remembering where my kids' dozens of friends live. I simply get to whosoever house, take a picture with footprints, add info about whose house it is, then easily retrieve it to go back. Its also great for vacations to be able to easily go back to hard to find places. The key is that its incorporated into google maps for easy navigation.

-MightyMike was here.... true story!
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:06 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: EVO

chas123 is halfway to VIP status based on repchas123 is halfway to VIP status based on repchas123 is halfway to VIP status based on repchas123 is halfway to VIP status based on repchas123 is halfway to VIP status based on repchas123 is halfway to VIP status based on repchas123 is halfway to VIP status based on repchas123 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindjew View Post

Try wiping the cache as well. I had the same thing happen when I was trying out the latest Mikfroyo ROM (which OMJ's is based off of). I got it to work.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:46 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO!

Fat Tony is keeping up the good workFat Tony is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
There is zero reason to remove footprints. If you knew what it did and how to use it, you wouldn't want to trash it.

Obviously I do NOT know what it does or how to use it. Can you please tell me why not to trash it?

I am not trying to be a smartass or argue (may sound like it), but I really am curious why not delete it. To me it's ... um .... useless.
Isaiah 43:2 When you go through deep waters, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown. When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:48 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

DOH! (smacks forehead)

Next time read the entire page to see if the person explains. Sorry Squat.

I never looked or thought of the program that way. To me it was just, wow look where I was, New Jersey, cooooooool.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:46 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Tony View Post
DOH! (smacks forehead)

Next time read the entire page to see if the person explains. Sorry Squat.

I never looked or thought of the program that way. To me it was just, wow look where I was, New Jersey, cooooooool.
No need to apologize....since it wasn't me

That's Darklord, our avies are similar but obviously mine's better looking (same holds true for real life too)
Old 01-30-2011, 01:48 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Evo 4g
Carrier: sprint

av8or is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to av8or Send a message via Yahoo to av8or

Quote:

Quote:
An easy address store/retrieval/location program. Whenever I'm out and about and I see a park or a restaurant or place that id like to return to but have no idea how I got where it is, I take a picture with footprints and it adds a gps coordinate. When im ready to go back there, I simply go into footprints, retrieve the picture and use google navigation to go back to it. I also use it for remembering where my kids' dozens of friends live. I simply get to whosoever house, take a picture with footprints, add info about whose house it is, then easily retrieve it to go back. Its also great for vacations to be able to easily go back to hard to find places. The key is that its incorporated into google maps for easy navigation.

ok, well i can see how some people might find that handy, and frankly i didn't know what the point of it was, now i see what it does
but it still holds no utility for me personally
could just as easily set a starred location in google maps
Old 01-30-2011, 03:42 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8or View Post
ok, well i can see how some people might find that handy, and frankly i didn't know what the point of it was, now i see what it does
but it still holds no utility for me personally
could just as easily set a starred location in google maps
On Footprints...

I gave an example in another thread.

I was shopping for a used car for my son a while back. Every time I would go look at a car, I would make a footprint. In the footprint I would include the details about the car (price, phone number, mileage, etc). If you've ever used footprints, you already know it prompts you to take a picture and saves the GPS coordinates while you take the picture, and automatically determines the address too.

Anyway, after I would make the footprint, I would export it and email it to one of my friends who knows about cars. He would then go check them out. I had a whole listing of cars when it was all said and done. Each listing contained far more info than if I had just made a note, and each one only took a minute or so to make.

I recently started making a bunch of footprints for car washes in my area. The process goes like this:
When I get to the car wash I make a footprint and take a picture. When I leave I make a voice memo with the prices and my little review of the place. When I get home I listen to the voice memo and type it all up into the notes section of the footprints.

Why do I do this? Because there are so many car washes around the areas I end up, and not all of them are good. Not all of them are open all the time either, and the prices are all different. So I have my own little "database" of car washes for quick reference. I know instantly which car wash is open, how much it costs, if it's brushless, how good it is, and so on. And I can export this and email it to anyone with an HTC phone. So when my friends are talking about how they need a car wash, I can email them the footprint instead of trying to give directions.

Why is this important? Because it snows in the winter here and the salt they put in the streets to melt the ice will rust your car if you don't wash it off. It's obviously too cold to do that in the driveway, so car washes are pretty important in the winter.

If you haven't used footprints, let me give you a hypothetical example that sums up exactly how you would use it...

Your boss surprises you by taking the team out to lunch in a city 50 miles away, to meet with a team from another office in some sort of celebration for good results.

You have never been to this place, and hardly ever go to this area.

You get there, and it's the best place you have ever been. Lets say it's a sports grill and the food is awesome, only 4 bucks for a huge plate of nachos, beers are only 50 cents, there are huge big screens all over showing all the games, and all the waitresses are smoking hot. Plus, a few of the waitresses were hitting on you.

You have no idea how to get back to this place. So you pull out your phone, open footprints, and tap "New footprint." The first screen that comes up is the "Capture your location" screen. You simply tap the camera button on your screen and it takes a picture (of your nachos, right there at the table). While this is happening, it's automatically grabbing your GPS coordinates. After you snap the picture, you hit "Done" and that's it. It automatically gets the address and saves it, along with the GPS coordinates, in the footprint. It gives the file a default name and saves it. You can type in something else if you want, but why bother, you're having a good time.

You could stop right there if you like and be done with it. 20 seconds is all it took to get what you needed.

So in about 20 seconds or so, you have a perfect record of this place to get you back there. You open the footprint and you can read both the GPS coordinates and the address. Tap on the GPS coordinates and it opens up in your navigation app of choice.

But lets say that isn't good enough. You want to add a better photo and a bunch more details. You don't want to do it right now though, because you're having a good time. So when you leave, you snap another picture, this time a nice one of the front of the building, using the regular camera app. Then you open footprints, open the footprint you made earlier, hit menu, then edit. Type in a decent name and select a category. Now it has a name and category that you gave it, instead of the default one the app gave it while you were socializing. Tap on the picture and you can either shoot a new photo or select one from the device. Select the one you just took of the front of the building. Now you will know what you're looking for in 9 months when you come back to watch a game next season. You can also type in any details you want in the notes section. Or, you can also leave a voice memo. I usually leave a voice memo and then when I get home or get a few minutes I'll type the details into the notes section. So if you're driving, leave a quick voice memo and (if you want) you can type it up later. If you're riding with someone else, just type it up on the way back. (I'm weird in that I prefer typed notes instead of voice memos. I only use the voice memos as temporary and type it all up when I get a minute. If voice memos are your thing though, just save a voice memo in the footprint.)

So now you have a perfect record of this place, and it took less than a minute or 2 to make it. 9 months later when you and your friends are planning a day to go watch the big game, you know just the place. Rather than try to give directions to an area none of you ever go to, you just email them that footprint. Now all of them have a picture of the building, have all the details you saved (good food, cheap beers, hot waitresses, nice tv's, etc), they have the address, they have the gps coordinates, and if they tap the gps coordinates it opens up in their navigation app of choice.

It's really a great app. The only knocks on it are,
1: It's only on HTC devices.
2: The sharing is kind of clunky. You hit menu, then export, and it exports a footprints file. Then you email that footprints file as an attachment. Your friend then hits menu and import after they have downloaded the attachment. It would be infinitely better if it worked in some universal app like Google Maps so you could send it someone that didn't have an HTC phone. And it would also be better if it was stored int he cloud so you didn't have to import and export, email attachments, etc. Just send a link via SMS and have it open up the "footprint" in google maps (or some other free app that was available on every platform) would be ideal.

Well sorry for the long post but hopefully everyone now knows what footprints is and exactly how they could use it.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:50 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

OR!

Let's say your little sister's husband smacks her around again. You go down to the house to smack him around a little, only he tries to play Mr. Tough guy and you end up cracking his skull all over an alley. Snap a photo with Footprints, send it to the boys and now they can help you clean up your scene.

When it comes time to dispose of the body, you snap a photo with Footprints and now just in case you ever need to move it, you email it to yourself and your trusted piazans. Six months, six years later if you ever need to move it or are just feeling paranoid, you go to your email and baddabing! You know where your late, exbrother in law is laid to rest.

Thank you HTC!
Old 01-30-2011, 08:10 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Evo 4g
Carrier: sprint

av8or is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to av8or Send a message via Yahoo to av8or

@blackdynamite no i get what footprints can do, and why some would find it useful, those extra 'features' just hold no utility for me over just using a starred location, which honestly i've never used either, and i'm more than familiar with the need for winter car washs as i live in central ny lol

@fattony wow, just wow dude you've gone from stereotype to broad characature lol

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G > CDMA HTC Evo 4G Development