PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2010, 12:27 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

claviertekky is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: OMJ's HTC Sense Kitchen v2.1 | WM 6.x / WM 6.5.x | 21055 / 21895 / 235xx | 4/22/1

All right for a newb, how do I add my own packages and programs from cab formats?
Old 07-19-2010, 02:29 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic
Carrier: Sprint SERO

2 Bunny is keeping up the good work2 Bunny is keeping up the good work2 Bunny is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 2 Bunny Send a message via Skype™ to 2 Bunny
Smile KITCHEN Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by claviertekky View Post
All right for a newb, how do I add my own packages and programs from cab formats?
Ah yes! A question I am qualified to answer, and I am delighted to inform you that it is brilliantly simple:

1. Download the "Kitchen Converter" thing I attached to the thread. (I didn't make it, just so we don't get any false impressions ☺)
2. In Windows, Drag the CAB file onto the CAB2OEM icon. A command prompt will come up for 1-3 seconds (usually too fast to read, but I don't think it is that important anyway).
3. CAB2OEM has now created a Folder with the same name corresponding to the CAB file. This folder will be inside of the same folder or directory that the CAB file started on.
4. Take this newly created folder, and drag it on top of the "Ext_Packages_Rebuilder" Executable, wait for the command prompt again, and you're done. You'll notice that the folder's name is the same and it is in the same location, but its contents have been altered slightly so that the kitchen can use them.
5. Place your Kitchen Ready folder into the following path:
"Kitchen Folder, Ext, Diamond, 6.1, Packages" next to all the other folders. You'll be able to spot it right away in the kitchen under "DIAMOND-Device: Packages" (This is the fourth header down the list), and as you probably already know, you can doubleclick on it to have it included in your ROM.

Good Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k4mach View Post
manilla/sense is what HTC calls touchflo.

touchflo isnt really considered a screen plugin as its more than just a pretty homescreen. sense 2.5 runs pretty deep within windows to almost completely hide the crappiness of some of the common areas of windows.
Really? So its like malware, only in the form of a screen plugin? What does it do to Windows Mobile, exactly? And are you confusing "Manila" with "Manilla"? Big difference, and one I know for sure even as a bit of a newbie: One is in a kitchen or CAB, and one is a flavor or color.

Also, if anyone has any hints on that EXT thing for the start menu, that would be fantastic.

- 2 Bunny
Attached Files
File Type: rar Kitchen Converter.rar (21.4 KB, 2 views) Click for barcode!
Old 07-20-2010, 02:21 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Diamond
Carrier: Verizon

FH-CS is a n00b
Re: KITCHEN Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Bunny View Post

Really? So its like malware, only in the form of a screen plugin? What does it do to Windows Mobile, exactly? And are you confusing "Manila" with "Manilla"? Big difference, and one I know for sure even as a bit of a newbie: One is in a kitchen or CAB, and one is a flavor or color.

Also, if anyone has any hints on that EXT thing for the start menu, that would be fantastic.

- 2 Bunny

In this case, Manila is referring to the Touchflo3D interface you can enable or disable in the today/home screen. It's made up of all tabs you can slide through (home, sms, music, pictures, weather, and so on). I haven't used it in a while, but from what I remember, that was as far as it went. It was simply an interface to display information, whereupon actually doing anything (composing a SMS, making an appointment, browsing through your phonebook) required you to use the default windows programs.

Sense is a newer version of Manila with some graphical and functional changes. As mentioned before by 2k4mach, it replaces many parts of windows mobile. Some of the things it replaces includes the appointment editor, SMS, battery/backlight, phone info, phonebook (call log included), alarms, world clock... the list goes on. While I know it's not exactly what we're comparing here, this post on XDA gives a good comparison of sense 2.1 vs 2.5, which might give you an idea about some of the differences between Sense and Manila http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...48&postcount=6

As for your start menu issue, take a look (open in notepad) at the app.dat file in the EXT package for whatever programs you'd like to move. You'll see something along the lines of:
Directory("\Windows\Start Menu\Programs"):-File("AAA.lnk","\Windows\AAA.lnk")
This copies the shortcut for the program AAA from the \Windows folder to \Windows\Start Menu\Programs. In WM 6.1, programs that ended up in the start menu were in \Windows\Start Menu, so all you need to do is add "\Programs" or "\Programs\Games", or whatever folder you want, to that line in the app.dat file, and it will not show up in your start menu. The reverse is also true (just get rid of the \Programs part and they'll end up in the start menu)

Hope this helps : )
Old 07-20-2010, 02:28 PM
Banned User

2 Bunny is keeping up the good work2 Bunny is keeping up the good work2 Bunny is keeping up the good work
Lightbulb TOUCHFLOW Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by FH-CS View Post
In this case, Manila is referring to the Touchflo3D interface you can enable or disable in the today/home screen. It's made up of all tabs you can slide through (home, sms, music, pictures, weather, and so on). I haven't used it in a while, but from what I remember, that was as far as it went. It was simply an interface to display information, whereupon actually doing anything (composing a SMS, making an appointment, browsing through your phonebook) required you to use the default windows programs.
Isn't that all you would need or even want from a single Today plugin?

Quote:
Sense is a newer version of Manila with some graphical and functional changes. As mentioned before by 2k4mach, it replaces many parts of windows mobile. Some of the things it replaces includes the appointment editor, SMS, battery/backlight, phone info, phonebook (call log included), alarms, world clock... the list goes on.
Why would you want to replace all that stuff? I use editors, SMS box, battery manager, and the phonebook on a regular basis.

Quote:
As for your start menu issue, take a look (open in notepad) at the app.dat file in the EXT package for whatever programs you'd like to move. You'll see something along the lines of:
Directory("\Windows\Start Menu\Programs"):-File("AAA.lnk","\Windows\AAA.lnk")
This copies the shortcut for the program AAA from the \Windows folder to \Windows\Start Menu\Programs. In WM 6.1, programs that ended up in the start menu were in \Windows\Start Menu, so all you need to do is add "\Programs" or "\Programs\Games", or whatever folder you want, to that line in the app.dat file, and it will not show up in your start menu. The reverse is also true (just get rid of the \Programs part and they'll end up in the start menu)

Hope this helps : )
Maybe this is a dumb question, but where exactly in the kitchen would I look for the APP.DAT file? Or is that accompanying the apps themselves (individual "APP.DAT" file for each)?

- 2 Bunny
Old 07-20-2010, 03:36 PM
Lurker

FH-CS is a n00b
Re: TOUCHFLOW Reply

Quote:
Isn't that all you would need or even want from a single Today plugin?
It's all preference. Sense has more eye candy, but that is subjective, as you may not actually like how Sense looks. I chose to use Sense for the quicklinks, available mods, weather animations on home tab, finger friendliness, and standard interface carried throughout the applications it replaces.

Quote:
Why would you want to replace all that stuff? I use editors, SMS box, battery manager, and the phonebook on a regular basis.
As mentioned before, it simply replaces them with it's own interface. I find that it tends to be more finger friendly in some instances. Take a look at the screenshots I've attached if you want to see what I mean.

Quote:
Maybe this is a dumb question, but where exactly in the kitchen would I look for the APP.DAT file? Or is that accompanying the apps themselves (individual "APP.DAT" file for each)?

- 2 Bunny
It's in the EXT package. For example, in EXT\Diamond\Common\Packages\SIP - EzInput 1.5.32437.0, you'll see \Files, _skip, app.dat, and app.reg

Not all EXT packages have an app.dat or an app.reg, just so you know. In that case, I usually just copy the app.dat or app.reg from another EXT package and modify it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alarm.jpg (40.0 KB, 35 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: jpg Appointment Editor 1.jpg (46.7 KB, 33 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: jpg Appointment Editor 2.jpg (36.0 KB, 27 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: jpg Backlight.jpg (50.4 KB, 29 views) Click for barcode!
Old 07-20-2010, 05:48 PM
Banned User

Smile Re: TOUCHFLOW Reply

Quote:
It's all preference. Sense has more eye candy, but that is subjective, as you may not actually like how Sense looks. I chose to use Sense for the quicklinks, available mods, weather animations on home tab, finger friendliness, and standard interface carried throughout the applications it replaces.

As mentioned before, it simply replaces them with it's own interface. I find that it tends to be more finger friendly in some instances. Take a look at the screenshots I've attached if you want to see what I mean...
I'm pretty sure I have the first screenie, the last one seems very familiar, but the two in the center look like such a waste. I could already do the same thing in half the space, and in the space I have to scroll, I don't have to bring myself down to Toilet paper scrolling - surely there is a way to restore normal scrolling? I've used toilet paper scrolling in Acrobat Reader on Windows for a few minutes and it drives me nuts, and it is no different on my Mobile. I'm sure someone could help you find cabs to fix some of those.

Quote:

It's in the EXT package. For example, in EXT\Diamond\Common\Packages\SIP - EzInput 1.5.32437.0, you'll see \Files, _skip, app.dat, and app.reg

Not all EXT packages have an app.dat or an app.reg, just so you know. In that case, I usually just copy the app.dat or app.reg from another EXT package and modify it.
Oh, thanks, that really clears things up a bit. Now, lets say I've got the Weather extension, and it didn't install because its "app.dat" file was empty. Inside the "files" folder is a single item: "2330fc3c_manila". Would my "App.Dat" file in Notepad look like this?
Code:
Directory("\Windows"):-File("2330fc3c_manila")
Before, the 2330fc3c is in that directory, so I assume this is where the new one belongs.

Thanks

- 2 Bunny

Last edited by 2 Bunny; 07-20-2010 at 06:06 PM. Reason: NEW QUESTION Reply
Old 07-20-2010, 11:27 PM
Lurker

FH-CS is a n00b
Re: TOUCHFLOW Reply

Quote:

Oh, thanks, that really clears things up a bit. Now, lets say I've got the Weather extension, and it didn't install because its "app.dat" file was empty. Inside the "files" folder is a single item: "2330fc3c_manila". Would my "App.Dat" file in Notepad look like this?
Code:
Directory("\Windows"):-File("2330fc3c_manila")
Before, the 2330fc3c is in that directory, so I assume this is where the new one belongs.

Thanks

- 2 Bunny
To my knowledge, everything is first copied to \Windows regardless of what the app.dat says. Then, the files are copied (not moved) into wherever the app.dat specifies. Having the app.dat copy something to \Windows is essentially redundant.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:44 PM
Banned User

Smile Re: TOUCHFLOW Reply

Quote:
To my knowledge, everything is first copied to \Windows regardless of what the app.dat says. Then, the files are copied (not moved) into wherever the app.dat specifies. Having the app.dat copy something to \Windows is essentially redundant.
That's odd - I couldn't seem to find the file on my device after flashing the firmware.

- 2 Bunny
Old 07-23-2010, 08:18 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc
Carrier: alltel

louie1215 is just getting started
Re: OMJ's HTC Sense Kitchen v2.1 | WM 6.x / WM 6.5.x | 21055 / 21895 / 235xx | 4/22/1

Since OMJ is done. Know of anyone else uploading kitchens. Been trying for weeks,I cook and get to load screen on Diamond and thats it. Got to be in the kitchen
Old 07-23-2010, 11:50 AM
Banned User

Smile HTC Reply

Anybody know where you can get an HTC "Quietly Brilliant" startup GIF and PNG, but with a black background and no "Windows Mobile Phone" nonsense at the end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie1215 View Post
Since OMJ is done. Know of anyone else uploading kitchens. Been trying for weeks,I cook and get to load screen on Diamond and thats it. Got to be in the kitchen
Oh, may I recommend the Caulkin kitchen? It works great for me.

- 2 Bunny

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development