PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2 > Android On TP2 Development

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2010, 03:52 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

damage_them is keeping up the good workdamage_them is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: NAND Boot File Repository

Quote:
Originally Posted by natemcnutty View Post
Unfortunately, the zImage is on the actual NAND, and you can't update it. I originally thought it was pulling from my SD Card, but that explained why I could never get hw3d working and wifi wouldn't work with the updated modules.

For now, the only way to test the new zImage/modules is with Haret since Tinboot isn't playing nice right now. I was kind of hoping ACL and Wozz wouldn't have to waste their time on Tinboot, but whatever isn't working is over my head
i guess this explains why it would only look for the modules wozz put in..hmm(im learning new things everyday )
Old 10-01-2010, 05:55 PM
N00b

rawker is just getting started

Do we even need the files on the SD card then? or is still looking for the modules there?
Old 10-01-2010, 06:34 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: VZW Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Threadstarter

natemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

OK, here's the latest update. I have refactored a bunch of the first couple of posts with some new information. After trying to make modifications to tinboot to make it work, I decided to create NBH files from previous builds and check those. On the plus side, they all worked; on the downside, that means the commits for 3D messed things up (at least for me).

I have now included the NBH file with the builds from the 23rd and the 25th. The zImage is only included with those for reference and is not needed for NAND booting since the NBH puts the zImage and initrd.gz onto the NAND.

If you guys could test the one from the 25th and let me know how it works for you, that would be awesome. As far as the latest build with hw3d enabled, I'm learning how to start with a base of the 25th and selectively add one commit at a time to find which one breaks it for me
Old 10-01-2010, 06:35 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

natemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawker View Post
Do we even need the files on the SD card then? or is still looking for the modules there?
Yes, I updated the FAQ to be more clear about what is going on with the NAND and SD card. Long story short, the zImage and initrd.gz files are in the NBH and get flashed directly to the NAND. The modules, system.ext2, rootfs.img, and data.img are still stored on the SD card.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

i tired the one from 25th..for me the startup animation is gone..but the phone comes on rather quickly with out it less lag while navigating through out the phone(moves fast!!)..wifi works..its coming together slowly but surely..i also removed all the other junk like heret zimage intrid..since we dont need them on sd..im on rhod400..great work!!
Old 10-01-2010, 11:16 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/5.1.21126/20.2485; U; en) Presto/2.5.25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by damage_them
i tired the one from 25th..for me the startup animation is gone..but the phone comes on rather quickly with out it less lag while navigating through out the phone(moves fast!!)..wifi works..its coming together slowly but surely..i also removed all the other junk like heret zimage intrid..since we dont need them on sd..im on rhod400..great work!!
Awesome. I wonder why the animation isn't working for you. I started everything clean with mine, and everything is smooth.

So far, battery is lasting me about 6 hours probably entirely due to the screen not powering off. I'm really hoping I can find some time to build new tinboots with ACL's newer commits over this weekend.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:57 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: Verizon

coolsilver is keeping up the good workcoolsilver is keeping up the good work

YAY!

Great progress. Wifi indeed works. USB debugging works (had to load SDK x64 drivers for Win 7).

Seems good to me so far. I still like to see a fix to the screen at least not sleeping and wonky charging. Battery lasted just slightly shorter than usual probably due to screen not powering down.

Otherwise, I'm thrilled! Keep it up, I had problems trying to gather what I could on my own to build and test myself. So I'll wait for new updates and post my findings.

Last edited by coolsilver; 10-02-2010 at 02:07 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:44 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolsilver View Post
YAY!

Great progress. Wifi indeed works. USB debugging works (had to load SDK x64 drivers for Win 7).

Seems good to me so far. I still like to see a fix to the screen at least not sleeping and wonky charging. Battery lasted just slightly shorter than usual probably due to screen not powering down.

Otherwise, I'm thrilled! Keep it up, I had problems trying to gather what I could on my own to build and test myself. So I'll wait for new updates and post my findings.
Well, since your device performed a little differently than mine did with the 0925 build, maybe you can see if the latest build works for you. I just updated the first post with a newly compiled NBH (included the zImage for reference) and module files. On my device, it seems like it freezes on the loading screen, but it is doing something because I'll see it flicker every so often. Unfortunately, nothing gets logged to dmesg, so I have no way to figure out exactly what it is doing.

Also, you may want to edit your froyo.conf file on the SD card to reduce the size of compcache to something smaller than 90 as that seemed to help me get a little further into the boot before it froze
Old 10-02-2010, 03:14 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: tp2
Carrier: Sprint

[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

As much as id love to do this on the kernel i think the quick and dirty way to get it done right now is just to modify the rootfs for nand.

What we can do is create a blank file on your sdcard that has the name of your physkeyboard value that would originally go to the startup/cmd line. So for example if you normally use physkeyboard=rhod400 on your cmdline, we can just create an empty file called rhod400.

This modded rootfs can detect that and load the correct kb settings. Thats all the difference really between the rhods.. rest of the crap we alreayd handle in the kernel. I can help someone do this or you would like i can upload one modified already. The downsides are that we would need to keep up with changes on the real community rootfs, but then again that doesnt change much.

Also, i checked tinboot and it really doesnt need any modification. So natemcnutty, not sure why its not working for you. But i can help you mod the scripts if needed.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:43 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natemcnutty View Post
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/5.1.21126/20.2485; U; en) Presto/2.5.25)

Awesome. I wonder why the animation isn't working for you. I started everything clean with mine, and everything is smooth.

So far, battery is lasting me about 6 hours probably entirely due to the screen not powering off. I'm really hoping I can find some time to build new tinboots with ACL's newer commits over this weekend.
i will try the newest one and report back..i hope 3d works

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2 > Android On TP2 Development