PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2007, 03:34 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: iPhone
Carrier: AT&T

storyr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
WeatherPanel Freaks: WP-Auth - WeatherPanel Authorization

ATTENTION!

WP-Auth is discontinued.

I've posted modified DLL's that will authorize through proxies, ActiveSync, etc. This is a superior solution to WP-Auth! In addition, this new solution will authorize with a hosted server - providing uninterrupted authorization services.

Read about it/download here

WP-Auth version 1.0

Apparently it's time to post this I've been using this since Nov/2006 without an issue. What it is:

A cab file that alters the registry to redirect auth.marsware.net http requests to another ip address. The files required for authorizations are installed at this location. Note: This is my company's ip address, which will be changing soon. I will update at that time.

Installation Instructions:

1. Disable the WeatherPanel Today plugin:
  • a) Start -> Settings -> Personal -> Today
    b) Select Items tab, find WeatherPanel and uncheck it
    c) ok
2. Download WP-Auth.zip to your PC and unzip WP-Auth.cab

3. Install the WP-Auth.cab file to your device
  • a) Copy WP-Auth.cab to the My Documents folder on your device (via ActiveSync)
    b) Disconnect your device from your PC
    c) On your device, browse to your My Documents folder (using File Explorer or equivalent)
    d) Tap the WP-Auth.cab file to install it (note: it's best to install to main memory)
    e) close File Explorer
4. Power off your device, wait a few seconds, then power it back on (so registry changes will "stick")

5. Soft reset

6. Re-enable WeatherPanel in your Today settings.

7. Run the WeatherPanel diagnostics
  • a) Open the WeatherPanel settings
    b) Select the About tab
    c) Tap Run Diagnostics
    d) After a few seconds, you should see:[list:1722668dae]Connection: SUCCESS
    Auth: SUCCESS
e) Scroll the little window up to see the specific version of WeatherPanel you're running[/list:u:1722668dae]8. Perform an update.

If you did see Auth:SUCCESS in step 7, but it still isn't updating, try this:
  • a) Disable the WeatherPanel plugin
    b) On your device, navigate the your WeatherPanel data folder, found in the WeatherPanel installation location (e.g. \Program Files\Marsware\WeatherPanel\data)
    c) Delete all of the files found in the data folder
    d) Re-enable WeatherPanel in the Today settings
    e) Perform an update
More Resources

(1) A simple HOSTS editing program that allows you to easily add plain text and IP addresses(2) PC Hosts file modification for updating WP through ActiveSync
Old 08-16-2007, 04:27 PM
What I do is a Lou Thang
Pocket PC: Incredibl / Bold
Carrier: Verizon

wowthatisrandom is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwowthatisrandom is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwowthatisrandom is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwowthatisrandom is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to wowthatisrandom Send a message via MSN to wowthatisrandom Send a message via Yahoo to wowthatisrandom
awesome thanks!!!!
Old 08-16-2007, 05:15 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon

Kolano is becoming a great contributor
My copy installed via Kitchen OEM is working fine at the moment, so I want to understand at what point it will break. Can you provide any further info on when this is needed (i.e. when does Weatherpanel try to authenticate to the server).
Old 08-16-2007, 05:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: AT&T Fuze

kbcherry is a n00b
This fix worked perfectly for me. I spent a couple of hours today trying to figure out what was going wrong.

StoryR - Thanks a ton for all of the work you do with WeatherPanel. Its one of two or three apps. that I can't live without. And I still love using the Chameleon Theme. I saw were you posted that this would now be running through your Company's IP for authorization. I'm assuming that is not free for you. Would you be open to accepting donations? If so, where would you want them sent? I donated once before to the PayPal address found in WeatherPilot, would you want them to go to the same place?

Thanks a bunch!
Old 08-16-2007, 05:59 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul, HTC Apache
Carrier: Sprint

jamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to jamesus Send a message via Yahoo to jamesus
Twas only a matter of time. I do remember you saying you would write this program when the time came. Thanks for all of your hard work to keep this app alive and kicking!

A mass of tears have transformed to stones now sharpened on suffering and woven into slings...
Old 08-16-2007, 06:16 PM
Moderator/WMExperts Staff
Pocket PC: Pure, TP2, Snap, Ozone, Intrepid,Treo Pro

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
lol...

I was wondering what was happening today with WP!

StoryR: once again, not enough thanks can go to you for this!

Edit: Spoke to soon!

I had some problems with this working but got it eventually...

Here's what I did:

- Cleared the "Data" under \Program Files\Marsware
- Disabled my cities and auto-update and toggled the phone radio
- Make sure you "refresh" SPB Mobile Shell if you are using that

Now it made the connection and the data correctly. This program is feeling like POS now--all patched up from breaking! But at least it works still! lol
Old 08-16-2007, 07:55 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

storyr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the community
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolano
My copy installed via Kitchen OEM is working fine at the moment, so I want to understand at what point it will break. Can you provide any further info on when this is needed (i.e. when does Weatherpanel try to authenticate to the server).
Prior to updating it's weather data, WeatherPanel sends out an HTTP request to auth.marsware.net. If the request fails, it won't update. If the request works, WP then sends requests to weather.com to download the data for each city you've configured.

Apparently auth.marsware.net has stopped working. I hadn't noticed becuase I've been useing WP-Auth for over nine months now.

The symptom is the weather data won't update. If yours is still working, then all these other people must be crazy Consider yourself lucky...
Old 08-16-2007, 08:01 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbcherry
This fix worked perfectly for me. I spent a couple of hours today trying to figure out what was going wrong.

StoryR - Thanks a ton for all of the work you do with WeatherPanel. Its one of two or three apps. that I can't live without. And I still love using the Chameleon Theme. I saw were you posted that this would now be running through your Company's IP for authorization. I'm assuming that is not free for you. Would you be open to accepting donations? If so, where would you want them sent? I donated once before to the PayPal address found in WeatherPilot, would you want them to go to the same place?

Thanks a bunch!
That was you?! Thanks so much! I didn't know if anyone would ever see that inside the WP-Pilot about box That's the one and only donation I've ever received - it was very exciting... My wife spent it

This is really not costing me anything, so no need for $. Anyone can host this - more information can be found in the WeatherPanel forum here.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:20 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

badwolf is keeping up the good workbadwolf is keeping up the good workbadwolf is keeping up the good work
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbcherry

Thanks a bunch!

You really need the internet to figure out why you can not connect to the internet.....
Old 08-16-2007, 09:43 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malatesta
lol...

I was wondering what was happening today with WP!

StoryR: once again, not enough thanks can go to you for this!

Edit: Spoke to soon!

I had some problems with this working but got it eventually...

Here's what I did:

- Cleared the "Data" under \Program Files\Marsware
- Disabled my cities and auto-update and toggled the phone radio
- Make sure you "refresh" SPB Mobile Shell if you are using that

Now it made the connection and the data correctly. This program is feeling like POS now--all patched up from breaking! But at least it works still! lol
Thanks! And good to know. It seems to be hit and miss for some folks. It may be a good idea to disable WP in the Today settings or SPB Mobile before applying this change...

And what's with the PPCGeeks web site? Cripes!
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software