PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2009, 02:48 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Dream, Kaiser, Herman
Carrier: rogers

dan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: WM 6.5 Kitchen QVGA and VGA Developer Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by joojoobee666 View Post
I did just manage to come across this little tidbit:
"The advantage of XIP modules comes into play when one considers the limited amount of RAM available on a typical Windows Mobile device. XIP modules are pre-relocated to a guaranteed available base address, and do not require any runtime alterations to their backing memory when mapped. As a result, XIP modules can be backed entirely by ROM and not RAM, decreasing the (scarce) RAM that must be devoted to holding executable code"

So, if I am reading this correctly, it would be advantageous to convert ANY program/dll that needs to stay loaded/in use for the entire boot into a module. This should in essence free more RAM? (HTC Task Manager is one example, Arcsoft being another, and possibly even some phone/canvas related resources)

And just going one step further, the XIP layout is what WMreloc is actually doing. It is creating the imgfs and XIP maps?

yeah, wmreloc relocates modules memory mapping adreesses, so that there are no overlaps, converting to module can be good, but does not work for everything, basically, only program code can be xip, content cannot, so in the case of phone canvas, the core executable may be xip, the all the graphics will still reside in RAM, so the savings will not be huge
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:00 PM
PPCKitchen Crew
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: VZW

joojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-htc-touch View Post
yeah, wmreloc relocates modules memory mapping adreesses, so that there are no overlaps, converting to module can be good, but does not work for everything, basically, only program code can be xip, content cannot, so in the case of phone canvas, the core executable may be xip, the all the graphics will still reside in RAM, so the savings will not be huge
Ahh ok, that makes sense. I already converted Arcsoft and Etphone.dll to modules in hopes of gaining some performance from it. So far, my text messaging does seem to be a bit more responsive (I guess it could be placebo). I am going to pull HTC Task Manager from the Geeks OEM, change the GUIDS and convert it as well. I guess I will see how it goes.

Do you know of why this would be a bad idea? Am I at risk of running out of slots for the modules?
Old 04-23-2009, 03:13 PM
VIP Member

dan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIP

Quote:
Ahh ok, that makes sense. I already converted Arcsoft and Etphone.dll to modules in hopes of gaining some performance from it. So far, my text messaging does seem to be a bit more responsive (I guess it could be placebo). I am going to pull HTC Task Manager from the Geeks OEM, change the GUIDS and convert it as well. I guess I will see how it goes.

Do you know of why this would be a bad idea? Am I at risk of running out of slots for the modules?
it is possible to run out, but I have a bunch in my user oem as well, you should be fine, just don't go crazy with it
Old 04-23-2009, 03:16 PM
PPCKitchen Crew

joojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
it is possible to run out, but I have a bunch in my user oem as well, you should be fine, just don't go crazy with it
Cool, thanks for all the help
Old 04-23-2009, 03:43 PM
MIA
Pocket PC: All HTC CDMA PPC
Carrier: Alltel
Threadstarter

conflipper can't get a higher reputation levelconflipper can't get a higher reputation levelconflipper can't get a higher reputation levelconflipper can't get a higher reputation levelconflipper can't get a higher reputation levelconflipper can't get a higher reputation levelconflipper can't get a higher reputation levelconflipper can't get a higher reputation levelconflipper can't get a higher reputation levelconflipper can't get a higher reputation levelconflipper can't get a higher reputation level

be careful though, i know with g'reloc, you had to watch out, because sometimes you can get an overlap in memory address, so be careful, when you convert a lot test often so if it does get an overlap you will be able to narrow down, you can convert. .dll, .exe and .mui to module.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc mogul 6800
Carrier: ZoomMobile

vickylife007 knows their stuffvickylife007 knows their stuffvickylife007 knows their stuffvickylife007 knows their stuffvickylife007 knows their stuffvickylife007 knows their stuff

Wow, wow, wow!!! Learnt so much reading your dialogues, Dan and Joojoobee. But aint you guys forgetting something, today is THURSDAY. Aint we supposed to be expecting two drops today as in two major leaks? We've been anticipating.
And trust me no amount of xip, modules, files, rom and ram talk is "distractive" enough (permit my english".
Whet our appetites a bit, what's happening to those leaks?
Hey Joojoobee what about that cure we talked about?
Just another leak, that's all we ask for.

Last edited by vickylife007; 04-23-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:47 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conflipper View Post
be careful though, i know with g'reloc, you had to watch out, because sometimes you can get an overlap in memory address, so be careful, when you convert a lot test often so if it does get an overlap you will be able to narrow down, you can convert. .dll, .exe and .mui to module.
this is true, while converting, take it slow, convert one or two, flash/verify it works ok, then move on, making too many changes at once can make problem tracking very difficult
Old 04-23-2009, 03:55 PM
PPCKitchen Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by conflipper View Post
Isn'tWMReloc supposed to work better then G'Reloc now?

Quote:
this is true, while converting, take it slow, convert one or two, flash/verify it works ok, then move on, making too many changes at once can make problem tracking very difficult
Yup, something didn't work right with the HTC Task Manager. The CPL comes up, but the actual icon in the corner isn't working. Going to recmod one at a time till I isolate it.

Last edited by joojoobee666; 04-23-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:09 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Isn'tWMReloc supposed to work better then G'Reloc now?

Yup, something didn't work right with the HTC Task Manager. The CPL comes up, but the actual icon in the corner isn't working. Going to recmod one at a time till I isolate it.
interestin that the icon would be missing...
Old 04-23-2009, 04:14 PM
PPCKitchen Crew

Well, that was easy. taskmgrCustRes.dll only has icons, so that was probably my problem

HTC Task Manager is now running as modules/XIP after recmodding that dll.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software