PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2009, 09:55 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Fuze, Elfin
Carrier: Rogers

dsi76 knows their stuffdsi76 knows their stuffdsi76 knows their stuffdsi76 knows their stuffdsi76 knows their stuffdsi76 knows their stuffdsi76 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: WM 6.5 Kitchen QVGA and VGA Developer Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsi76 View Post
Here's another issue...

Because I'm using the default WM6.5 dialer, I now have to use the default WM volume control as well. Otherwise the in-call volume will not work if you use the finger-friendly HTC Volume.

The problem is that in the Settings menu (or any menu other than the home screen), if I use the volume control, it is shifted too far to the right:

Is there a solution for this? Maybe moving the taskbar speaker icon over to the left will help (although I don't know how to do this.. will need to search!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecanilis View Post
My workarround was to change the reg key:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Shell\TaskBa r]
"ConsistentClockOrBattery"=dword:1

This way you will get more contact space to ok/close button and you will not have that problem because the battery icon will be in every window.
I know that this was a registry key for people that whould like to click at the battery icon to see the power metter. But i like this way better...

Cheers

Ok, I have a workaround for your issue, Zecanalis. You can replace the default battery icon with a battery icon which has a percentage inside it, so that you don't need to worry about going to the Power settings to see the value.

Here's one I used:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...79&postcount=1

There's probably a nicer QVGA one, but this does the job.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:07 AM
PPCKitchen Crew
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: VZW

joojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-htc-touch View Post
modules are files that have a specific memory adress, and are used for xip (execute in place) basically, cant xip unless it's location is static
So basically there is no difference as far as the SYS and OEM files since they are not in the XIP. They can either be a module or a file without any performance gain/impact?
Old 04-23-2009, 10:16 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 6800
Carrier: verizion

aaronpoweruser is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via Yahoo to aaronpoweruser

i cant change the notification settings in 21501
it opens but when i click ok it reverts to default and doesnt close the app
Old 04-23-2009, 11:06 AM
PPCKitchen Crew
Pocket PC: Evo and Evo3d
Carrier: Sprint

mattsm is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmattsm is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmattsm is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmattsm is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmattsm is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmattsm is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmattsm is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmattsm is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmattsm is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmattsm is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmattsm is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronpoweruser View Post
i cant change the notification settings in 21501
it opens but when i click ok it reverts to default and doesnt close the app
I had this problem as well with one I cooked in the kitchen. Don't know what was causing the problem cause I left some things out and did a recook. Now the problem is not there. I did change comm manager on recook. That was the only thing I changed other than add more oems. Don't know if that was it or not. Had 10 button and on recook did not select any.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:52 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 6800
Carrier: verizion

aaronpoweruser is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via Yahoo to aaronpoweruser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsm View Post
I had this problem as well with one I cooked in the kitchen. Don't know what was causing the problem cause I left some things out and did a recook. Now the problem is not there. I did change comm manager on recook. That was the only thing I changed other than add more oems. Don't know if that was it or not. Had 10 button and on recook did not select any.
right now i dont have any comm cooked in
i like simplisty and more ram
Old 04-23-2009, 01:30 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Dream, Kaiser, Herman
Carrier: rogers

dan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by joojoobee666 View Post
So basically there is no difference as far as the SYS and OEM files since they are not in the XIP. They can either be a module or a file without any performance gain/impact?
wrong, your confusing xip with xip-section, xip is not limited to the xip section
Old 04-23-2009, 02:00 PM
PPCKitchen Crew

joojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
wrong, your confusing xip with xip-section, xip is not limited to the xip section
I'm sure I am. The XIP does contains modules that run in XIP, but any other file that is in the imgfs as a module would run in XIP as well?

So do recmod and reversmode play into this at all? I was assuming that these convert files to modules/modules to files. If this is the case, would I be correct in assuming that by converting some of my files to modules with reversmode that the program/dll would then run in XIP, not freeing up more RAM, but opening quicker?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am STILL unable to find a good read somewhere with the whole breakdown.

Last edited by joojoobee666; 04-23-2009 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:25 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Dream, Kaiser, Herman
Carrier: rogers

dan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by joojoobee666 View Post
I'm sure I am. The XIP does contains modules that run in XIP, but any other file that is in the imgfs as a module would run in XIP as well?

So do recmod and reversmode play into this at all? I was assuming that these convert files to modules/modules to files. If this is the case, would I be correct in assuming that by converting some of my files to modules with reversmode that the program/dll would then run in XIP, not freeing up more RAM, but opening quicker?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am STILL unable to find a good read somewhere with the whole breakdown.
from what I can tell, the reason for having a xip section, is to make it possible to handle the xip in a different way.

excerpt from MSDN:
Windows CE allows you to create multiple execute in place (XIP) regions in one single operating system (OS) image. XIP regions are areas where an application can execute code directly from read-only memory (ROM) rather than having to load it from random access memory (RAM).
With a multi-region image, you have finer control over the image layout, you can control region updates, and you can decide on a per-region basis how the OS will access that region when it pages its components at run time.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:31 PM
PPCKitchen Crew

Quote:
from what I can tell, the reason for having a xip section, is to make it possible to handle the xip in a different way.

excerpt from MSDN:
Windows CE allows you to create multiple execute in place (XIP) regions in one single operating system (OS) image. XIP regions are areas where an application can execute code directly from read-only memory (ROM) rather than having to load it from random access memory (RAM).
With a multi-region image, you have finer control over the image layout, you can control region updates, and you can decide on a per-region basis how the OS will access that region when it pages its components at run time.
I did just manage to come across this little tidbit:
"The advantage of XIP modules comes into play when one considers the limited amount of RAM available on a typical Windows Mobile device. XIP modules are pre-relocated to a guaranteed available base address, and do not require any runtime alterations to their backing memory when mapped. As a result, XIP modules can be backed entirely by ROM and not RAM, decreasing the (scarce) RAM that must be devoted to holding executable code"

So, if I am reading this correctly, it would be advantageous to convert ANY program/dll that needs to stay loaded/in use for the entire boot into a module. This should in essence free more RAM? (HTC Task Manager is one example, Arcsoft being another, and possibly even some phone/canvas related resources)

And just going one step further, the XIP layout is what WMreloc is actually doing. It is creating the imgfs and XIP maps?

Last edited by joojoobee666; 04-23-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Love; HTC Touch Diamond

Zecanilis is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronpoweruser View Post
right now i dont have any comm cooked in
i like simplisty and more ram
I had same problem with build 2500.
And when i resolved i didn't achieved any conclusion.
I changed somethings in my OEM folder, but at the end i replaced everything or almos everything back to the begining and all worked well...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software