PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2009, 04:22 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Dream, Kaiser, Herman
Carrier: rogers

dan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: WM 6.5 Kitchen QVGA and VGA Developer Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by joojoobee666 View Post
Well, that was easy. taskmgrCustRes.dll only has icons, so that was probably my problem

HTC Task Manager is now running as modules/XIP after recmodding that dll.
yeah, graphic resourse only .dll's don't like to be modules
Old 04-23-2009, 04:30 PM
PPCKitchen Crew
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: VZW

joojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickylife007 View Post
Wow, wow, wow!!! Learnt so much reading your dialogues, Dan and Joojoobee. But aint you guys forgetting something, today is THURSDAY. Aint we supposed to be expecting two drops today as in two major leaks? We've been anticipating.
And trust me no amount of xip, modules, files, rom and ram talk is "distractive" enough (permit my english".
Whet our appetites a bit, what's happening to those leaks?
Hey Joojoobee what about that cure we talked about?
Just another leak, that's all we ask for.
True, but all of this work will not be lost on a new kitchen since this is for my User OEMs.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:31 PM
PPCKitchen Crew

joojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation leveljoojoobee666 can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-htc-touch View Post
yeah, graphic resourse only .dll's don't like to be modules
Yup, and that was proof
Old 04-23-2009, 05:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 6800
Carrier: verizion

aaronpoweruser is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via Yahoo to aaronpoweruser

ok i have 13-17 on boot after running oxis mb free in high memory mode on my titan in 2102 i had about 24 but i didnt have as many oems
also after letting the phone sit for 10 minutes opening no apps but start to get to oxis i am down to 16-13 is there any oem known to cause a memory leak?

i atached my oem selections
Attached Files
File Type: txt go.txt (3.6 KB, 4 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by aaronpoweruser; 04-23-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:08 PM
Deep Thinker
Pocket PC: Tin Can
Carrier: Atomic Vibration

gguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
I did just manage to come across this little tidbit:
"The advantage of XIP modules comes into play when one considers the limited amount of RAM available on a typical Windows Mobile device. XIP modules are pre-relocated to a guaranteed available base address, and do not require any runtime alterations to their backing memory when mapped. As a result, XIP modules can be backed entirely by ROM and not RAM, decreasing the (scarce) RAM that must be devoted to holding executable code"

So, if I am reading this correctly, it would be advantageous to convert ANY program/dll that needs to stay loaded/in use for the entire boot into a module. This should in essence free more RAM? (HTC Task Manager is one example, Arcsoft being another, and possibly even some phone/canvas related resources)
You are reading incorrectly.

First, unlike regular loading, xip modules have larger boundaries. Loading a code section that barely fills a region is very wasteful.

2nd, "Freeing more ram" is a misleading synopsis. What you are doing is consuming less RAM than you would if multiple programs needed the code section. You are consuming more memory than if no program needed the module.

3rd, scarce resources can be an issue when consumed by never-unloaded xip modules.

The moral: don't convert everything to xip. Candidates for conversion are things which are a) used frequently b) used by multiple programs and c) have code sections just under the boundary size.

Last edited by gguruusa; 04-23-2009 at 06:15 PM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:21 PM
Deep Thinker
Pocket PC: Tin Can
Carrier: Atomic Vibration

gguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronpoweruser View Post
ok i have 13-17 on boot after running oxis mb free in high memory mode on my titan in 2102 i had about 24 but i didnt have as many oems
also after letting the phone sit for 10 minutes opening no apps but start to get to oxis i am down to 16-13 is there any oem known to cause a memory leak?
What makes you say leak? A leak is something that continues to consume until you have none left. There are many reasons for memory to be "consumed" at any given time, regardless of whether you are doing anything.

There's a reason why punctuation is taught in grade school. Make punctuation your friend.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguruusa View Post
What makes you say leak? A leak is something that continues to consume until you have none left. There are many reasons for memory to be "consumed" at any given time, regardless of whether you are doing anything.

There's a reason why punctuation is taught in grade school. Make punctuation your friend.
i say leak because it continues to go down till i have 3-4 left and have to restart
Old 04-23-2009, 06:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Ahh ok, that makes sense. I already converted Arcsoft and Etphone.dll to modules in hopes of gaining some performance from it. So far, my text messaging does seem to be a bit more responsive (I guess it could be placebo). I am going to pull HTC Task Manager from the Geeks OEM, change the GUIDS and convert it as well. I guess I will see how it goes.

Do you know of why this would be a bad idea? Am I at risk of running out of slots for the modules?
u wouldnt happen to know a link to a tutorial to do this
Old 04-23-2009, 06:49 PM
PPCKitchen Crew

Just for the sake of curiosity I converted my igo8.exe into a module and cooked it in. When I run it from the windows folder, igo8.exe opens up in half the time 10 secs as opposed to 20 secs), and leaves almost 4.5MB of free RAM STILL! When I run it from the storage card, it takes 20secs to open up and I have .5MB free. Holy sh*t!! eXecute In Place can really make a difference

Thanks again, for clearing all of that up for me Dan and Conflipper!

Last edited by joojoobee666; 04-23-2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:51 PM
PPCKitchen Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguruusa View Post
You are reading incorrectly.

First, unlike regular loading, xip modules have larger boundaries. Loading a code section that barely fills a region is very wasteful.

2nd, "Freeing more ram" is a misleading synopsis. What you are doing is consuming less RAM than you would if multiple programs needed the code section. You are consuming more memory than if no program needed the module.

3rd, scarce resources can be an issue when consumed by never-unloaded xip modules.

The moral: don't convert everything to xip. Candidates for conversion are things which are a) used frequently b) used by multiple programs and c) have code sections just under the boundary size.
Yes, I understand I run the risk of killing my VM after some further reading. Is that what you are referring to?

Also, point 2 is WELL received. I noticed LESS ram after a clean boot. But loading programs that I XIP'd consume less now when running (see my iGO victory which is my main concern here. I use it alot and have to FREQUENTLY reboot to free up enough RAM. The executable is 5MB which is 25% of my free RAM alone. I know, it's probably an awfully large exe to be converting to a module, but what's the worst that can happen? A recook? Just another reason to do so....)

Last edited by joojoobee666; 04-23-2009 at 07:22 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software