PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G > Sprint Epic 4G Development
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: Since using midNIGHT ROM, have you become more Autism Aware?
Yes. Keep up the good work. 66 94.29%
No. You need to focus a bit more on that. 4 5.71%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2011, 02:27 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

abednego is keeping up the good workabednego is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: [ROM] midNIGHT ROM v4.2 (BYOR Edition) 3/9/2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptfdmedic View Post
In response to what Johnny was saying. It does happen. It's not a ROM issue per say, it's a Froyo issue. Someone did a write up about it. It has to do with the proximity sensors being buggy. If you toggle the speaker phone it works again. I have not seen this myself since DK28 but it wouldn't shock me if Samsung left that little present in EB13 for us.
I tried searching for a fix and couldn't find one Have any suggestions?

It seems odd to me - if its the proximity sensor, wouldn't that just cause the screen to turn on & off if buggy?
Old 03-09-2011, 08:16 AM
nous défions
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S III

Johnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dja2k View Post
Boot screen looked weird showing "android" over Samsung logo.
Whenever that happens it means that kernel didn't flash properly. If it ever happens again, try and reflash just the kernel...might save you some time. One thing to watch for while Clockwork is flashing any new ROM is right at the end your screen will flash off and on and you should see some big blue letters flash across your screen for a half a second. That is when the new kernel is flashing. If you don't see that happen, the kernel didn't flash. Can't really explain why it happens, and its rare, but it does happen sometimes.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:30 AM
nous défions

Johnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful Dave View Post
Thanks. Can you pint me to a link that will tell me how to Odin to EB13. Actually, I just need the right download. I saw a few on xda-developers. I found these instructions, is this correct?
Last Resort (Easiest)
  1. Download Epic4G_FroyoUpgrade_EB13_Tool.exe
  2. Install the file
  3. Run “SWUpgrade for SPH-D700″
  4. Follow the directions
  5. Congratulations! You now have “EB13″ Android 2.2.1 on your Samsung Epic 4G by Sprint!
Thanks
You can use the Samsung Upgrade Tool but it takes longer. Its sort of Odin for Dummies because all you do is follow the instructions on the screen and you can't make a mistake.

If you go back and look at the page where these instructions originally came from:

How To: Epic 4G Android 2.2.1 Froyo - BriefMobile

Look at the second set of instruction "Alternative Method (Easier)". It has the download links for Odin and the .tar file that will give you stock EB13. I'll repost it here just for convenience.

Alternative Method (Easier)

Download Samsung_Mobile_Driver_V1.3.800_For_SPH-d700_Epic_4G.zip
Unzip the file and install the driver
Download Odin3+v1.61andepic.pit.zip
Unzip the file and open up “Odin3+v1.61.exe”
Put your phone into “Download Mode”
Pull out battery
Put in battery
Push and hold “1″ on your keyboard
Power on device while holding “1″
Plug your Epic 4G into the computer
Download SPH-D700-EB13-8Gb-REL.tar.md5
Place the file in the “PDA” slot
Start flashing
This will reset your phone to default settings
Congratulations! You now have “EB13″ Android 2.2.1 on your Samsung Epic 4G by Sprint!
Once again here is the SPH-D700-EB13-8Gb-REL.tar.md5
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:41 AM
O-Matic
Pocket PC: Vogue, TP2, Epic 4G, Nexus S, Galaxy SIII, Nexus 4
Carrier: Big Pink

shane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to shane6374

Quote:
Originally Posted by abednego View Post
I tried searching for a fix and couldn't find one Have any suggestions?

It seems odd to me - if its the proximity sensor, wouldn't that just cause the screen to turn on & off if buggy?
Toggling the speaker is the only known work around right now. It's not anything with the rom itself, it's an issue with Samsung and froyo. We had this same issue on DK28 as well. It looks like something Samsung never fixed before they released EB13.

Just in case... You could still have this issue on the stock EB13 rom as well, so don't think that will solve the problem either.

Remember to clickon those who help! It's right down there.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:00 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane6374 View Post
Toggling the speaker is the only known work around right now. It's not anything with the rom itself, it's an issue with Samsung and froyo. We had this same issue on DK28 as well. It looks like something Samsung never fixed before they released EB13.

Just in case... You could still have this issue on the stock EB13 rom as well, so don't think that will solve the problem either.
It is so odd. I jumped ship from HTC due to their faulty hardware and screen - only to come to this. I have bad luck with phones.

It started off ok, but its' been getting progressively worse.

EDIT: so everytime I make or receive a call, I have to ... hurry up and toggle the speakerphone button? =/
Old 03-09-2011, 01:28 PM
O-Matic
Pocket PC: Vogue, TP2, Epic 4G, Nexus S, Galaxy SIII, Nexus 4
Carrier: Big Pink

shane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to shane6374

Quote:
Originally Posted by abednego View Post
It is so odd. I jumped ship from HTC due to their faulty hardware and screen - only to come to this. I have bad luck with phones.

It started off ok, but its' been getting progressively worse.

EDIT: so everytime I make or receive a call, I have to ... hurry up and toggle the speakerphone button? =/
I think it's hit or miss. I've never had this happen to me, but it's been reported as an issue through out the entire range of froyo builds. There also is the possibility that something is wrong with the phone itself.

I think each person has different experiences with different brands. I had both the Vogue and the TP2 and never had a hardware issue with either. I've now had the Epic 6 months and no issues that I can blame on hardware. It can be hard for us flashoholics to be 100% sure what is causing our problems since we're using "enhanced" roms on our devices. Thankfully most of us have TEP and Sprint is normally pretty good about exchanging our phones.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:43 PM
nous défions

It happens to me once or twice a day and what ROM I'm using has not really shown a difference. I do think however that it started with DK28, so it must be a Froyo thing. Remember, as soon as EB13 was released Sprint stopped the OTA updates and announced that they are already working on another update to fix all the bugs.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:03 PM
Regular 'Geeker

I would love for an update to be released prior to 2.3.

There is no way I'm toggling the <Speakerphone> button each time I want to talk to someone. It's odd that a high end phone would have that issue...

I'm going to the Sprint store next week for a replacement. Maybe that will have a better proximity sensor, assuming that is the problem.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:28 PM
nous défions

Back on topic, the battery life on this ROM seems to be the same as the last several versions. I was hoping to see an improvement with the ICQ gone. I have noticed however that my phone charges up MUCH faster than before. From 10% back up to full usually takes 4+ hours with the phone on. I plugged it in yesterday at around 20% and about 30 minutes later I looked at it and it was already up to 65%. It might not last longer, but it sure seems to charge faster.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:36 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane6374 View Post

Is DK28 the "stock" ROM that comes shipped on the epic: Android 2.1 ?
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G > Sprint Epic 4G Development