PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2010, 12:09 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: EVO vs Epic.. Thinking of Evo, need opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sapient View Post
You didn't ask what the person in question found cheap feeling. You explained to him he only THINKS it feels cheap to him. You are not seeling information. People have been pretty explicit about why they think the phone feels cheap. You tell them they are wrong about how the phone feels to them.
They mentioned why its cheap after what I said....and I never said once they are wrong or right...I was going through a possibility list of what could be the reason for that feel..

Quote:
Regardless of how durable the phone is, it does feel a bit like a toy. The plastic feels cheap. The sliding mechanism feels cheap. It feels fragile in the hand.
So your saying the plastic feels different from say the Evo or a TP2? Is there a phone that doesn't feel like a toy?

Quote:
How is that about durability?
um..by that post it sounded like a continuation of the original argument about durability...can you prove to me based on that post alone that it is not? considering so far there was talk of durability?

Anyways we should be getting back on topic >.>

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 09-28-2010, 12:27 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

The Sapient is keeping up the good workThe Sapient is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
They mentioned why its cheap after what I said....and I never said once they are wrong or right...I was going through a possibility list of what could be the reason for that feel..
No. You said "Let me explain what exactly you are feeling...." That is not suggesting a list of possibilities. It is not asking for clarification.

Quote:
So your saying the plastic feels different from say the Evo or a TP2? Is there a phone that doesn't feel like a toy?
Yes and yes. Or, more specifically, there are many phones on the market right now that feel significantly less toy-like than the Epic.

[QUOTE=gTen;1958473can you prove to me based on that post alone that it is not? [/QUOTE]

It is not up to me to prove that the poster wasn't secretly thinking something other than what he posted. He did not say what you claimed he said.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:46 AM
"The Fuzzy One"

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
No. You said "Let me explain what exactly you are feeling...." That is not suggesting a list of possibilities. It is not asking for clarification.
I asked for clarifications on many occasions..do I have to ask every person multiple times? to be fair though I may have phrased it a bit too implicatively..that said I can't say there is anything wrong with it...

Quote:
Yes and yes. Or, more specifically, there are many phones on the market right now that feel significantly less toy-like than the Epic.
Ok..so less..but still toy like..at one point a cellphone was the size of a backpack..and at one point toys were just carved out of wood or made out of cloth...these days in age in all considering..what is the border between what a toy is? >.>..

Quote:
It is not up to me to prove that the poster wasn't secretly thinking something other than what he posted. He did not say what you claimed he said.
Well if you read back a few posts before he posted the one you linked..he was talking about build quality...(yes I know it can get confusing with 20 different people talking about different things at the same time)

So can we get back on topic now?
Old 09-28-2010, 09:02 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

The Sapient is keeping up the good workThe Sapient is keeping up the good work

Quote:
I asked for clarifications on many occasions..do I have to ask every person multiple times? to be fair though I may have phrased it a bit too implicatively..that said I can't say there is anything wrong with it...
I think it is clear that we are taking issue with your post where you explicitly tell the poster he doesn't really think the epic feels cheap. That you don't do that in every post is immaterial. It is the post where you did do it, and your subsequent rationalizations of that post, which are being criticized.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:42 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: PPC-6850

ls3mach is keeping up the good workls3mach is keeping up the good work

Quote:
I think it is clear that we are taking issue with your post where you explicitly tell the poster he doesn't really think the epic feels cheap. That you don't do that in every post is immaterial. It is the post where you did do it, and your subsequent rationalizations of that post, which are being criticized.
Yeah, he definitely made this thread suck and derailed it huge. The Epic feels cheap to me. The keyboard isn't the best thing since sliced bread. He seems very put out that someone doesn't think his phone is the hottest thing out this year. This site seems to be over-moderated lately and just petty. Not sure if it is an influx of kids or that non-techs and idiots in general are buying nice phones.

I will probably get another week long ban for thinking the mods here suck. See you guys next month. lolol
Old 09-28-2010, 10:12 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Threadstarter

Phen0m is becoming a great contributor

After 24 days with the EPIC, and 5 with the EVO.. here are my opinions:

I generally use my phone for sexting, games(mainly emulators), calls of course, browsing, navigating, media consumption and remote sessions(logmein).

The EVO to me gets a huge plus just for the screen size..the difference between 4-4.3 is massive. For comparison.. EPIC seems almost identical to a TP2, while the EVO feels like a different beast entirely.. almost Dell Streak like.
Conversely, the Display on both is just as big of a difference. I could barely put down my EPIC, sometimes just using it to resort apps, or play a quick game. I haven't had that same feeling with the EVO.. the EVO looks very WinMoish in this regard. For comparison, its like watching a show on a Plasma, vs an early model LCD TV.

To me the EPIC is hands down a faster device. On Various roms, ive noticed what look like frame-skips, or hiccups when scrolling, also the "message sending" thing is annoying when texting. On average im getting 35-39 MFLOPS OC'ed on different kernels and roms.. But the 9 MFLOPS'd EPIC just feels swifter.. smoother scrolling, faster transitions.

UI.. There is no sense on the EPIC.. but there is AOSP when you clear defaults from Touch Wiz.. You can also use Launcher pro widgets, Samsung widgets, Fancy widget and Beautiful widget to replicate the experience you get with a Sense(which i personal dont.. or didnt use on my EVO(till now..see bottom.)..
On my EPIC i generally used Launcher PRO, enabled 7 home screens, then customized them with: System widgets(Power control plus & Switch pro(bluetooth, 4g etc.), Home(beautiful wid. clocks), News/sports feeds, Gaming page, Apps page, Internet shortcuts page, Music widget. I like this method better than using Sense.

Keyboard vs no Keybord. I originally purchased the EPIC due to my history with the Moguls, and TP2's.. but really.. its an antiquated addition.. and i never though in a million years i'd say that.

On my EPIC I just found myself using Swype 99% of the time, and the on-screen controls for gaming.. as its more convenient, and really.. more accurate. The hardware keyboard on the EPIC is pretty good(TP2 was better).. but its just not necc.
Is see what Sprint did though.. they knew coming second, the EPIC couldnt compete with(the EVO) in public opinion as a touch only device, so they had them tack on a keyboard.. it works, and works well.. just rather have a larger display if i could tradeoff.

No native Swype on the EVO is big downer though.. the few builds ive tried on the EVO have all had quirks like no text showing up when typing(swyping) words. I <3 Swype.

The battery life on both suck dearly, EPIC wins ever so slightly in my experience.. but ive yet to condition my EVO's battery as i did with the EPIC. Both charge s l o wly.. im talking 3+ hours to recharge.. maybe its my cords. Maybe its not.. The EPIC radio's sleep when not in use(both 4G and 3G.. an actual "zz" will appear on 4G.. this is fantastic, as it eliminates the toggling.

The GPS at least on my model.. worked flawlessly.. I understand this may have been an issue with past galaxy models.. but i had 0 GPS problems. EVO's is solid as expected.

Phone signal though.. EPIC was TERRIBLE indoors..certain restaurants(DC/VA).. forget about it..even at my girls place in DC..no signal at all.. EVO seems better in this department.. i do understand the EVO's had numerous radio updates..but something is def. up with the EPIC's radio in certain places.. outside, i got great reception almost everywhere.

Games do look better..much better(especially PSX games) and run a bit faster on the EPIC.. but the extra screen space comes in handy when using the on screen controls. EPIC having a keyboard is handy here, as you do get to utilize the entire screen for consumption.

Multimedia, EPIC's stock video player is near flawless.. its like Rockplayer but with 5.1 surround..looks like im watching content on my LED. I love this player.. problems are that its not a standalone, loadable player.. you have to access it via the "gallery", and it doesnt pickup media all streams from the net.. just some(from a vimeo like site).
I haven't viewed video beyond Youtube on the EVO yet, so i cant comment on this area.

Call quality is too close to call as im always on a BT headset or Speakerphone, although i feel like people hear me better on the EVO compared to the EPIC.. haven't as gotten many "HUH'S??"

Camera goes to the EPIC.. I know the EVO is 8MP and i dont get it either.. but the EPIC's cam is very very clean and clear, especially the video in dimlight. I fring video'd with a friends iphone 4 next to me.. and the front cam had better saturated colors, and kept up with my actions better(this is vs the iphone not the EVO mind you).

Design.. If the Iphone is a 10.. EVO is a 9.. the phone just catches your eye.. and feels like a quality device. Thing is.. people are harping on the plastics surround the EPIC, but the EVO uses the exactly same molded plastic.. its just much better designed.
The EPIC is nowhere near as bad as people are making it out to be.. but Samsung kinda dropped the ball here imo. Odd placement of the charging input, power button and volume. I don't understand why they didn't reuse the chassis or at least the design of the Samsung Mondi..go for 4.3" thin the plastics, unrecess the screen.. etc. I'd give the EPIC a 7 on design.

This is running long, so ill end it like this.. IMO.. the EPIC is a better device hands down, nearly the same thinness(14mm vs 13mm).. faster..better hardware for future proofing..prettier(in use), better cam, swype.
But.. aesthetics, timing and support unfortunately count for quite a bit in our society.. not only that.. but we are a "bigger is better" contingent.

EVO's ushering in of this 4G dawn..bigger screen, support, and surprisingly for me kickstand.. count for quite a bit... so i do understand why the EVO is more lauded... Its like Sprint customers were finally thrown a unified device.. iphonesque in its following.. then this brash newcomer comes along.. treading on its turf.

Both great devices.. seriously.. you cant go wrong either way.

PS-This is the rom that made me stay with sense.. absolutely gorgeous:
[ROM] Myn’s Warm TwoPointTwo - [RLS 1 - 09/27/2010] -An Enlightening Experience *NEW* - xda-developers
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:19 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG v10
Carrier: T-mobile

clockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaliS View Post
with those things in mind. i have to think about what i want to do with the device and what i HAVE already been using my previous devices for. im a business user that also likes to have phone with my devices...my use/wants have mainly been:

1) ability to check all my email accounts on the go and send email as well (i have 5 accounts that need constant checking)
2) ability to view, edit, create MS-Word documents and other files from MS-Office.
3) ability read PDF docs (being able to create would be good too)
4) i want to be able to play some games while im in court and have down time
5) must have FM radio! i was pissed that this was something the TP2 didnt get and i got drained waiting for developers to figure it out...dont know if they ever did.
6) i dont want to have to do a lot of extra adding ROMs to get my phone to be good. i want something that is excellent out the box.
7) no freezing, stalling, black screen of death, malfunctioning keyboards, super hot battery, or any of the other issues that plagued the TP2. these issues made what should have been my "2 year phone" into my "i can't wait to something better comes out" phone.
#2 Will be the one you'll probably have to work the most at, since it's not integrated. The Evo does come with quickoffice which lets you view, but not edit or create. But there are options in the market.

If you do a lot of editing, the Epic's hardware keyboard might be beneficial.

#5 Evo has an FM, but it barely can get a signal in my experience.

#6 Only if you want to, but not needed at all IMHO. +1 Excellent out of the box.

#7 Solid OS, doesn't compare to what you have had to put up with on WM.

-CC

EDIT: After reading the whole thread, it seems it's gone somewhere else and become a "I gotta defend my device" thread.. It's a shame, it has some good reference points.

Last edited by clockcycle; 09-28-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:54 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phen0m View Post
To me the EPIC is hands down a faster device. On Various roms, ive noticed what look like frame-skips, or hiccups when scrolling, also the "message sending" thing is annoying when texting. On average im getting 35-39 MFLOPS OC'ed on different kernels and roms.. But the 9 MFLOPS'd EPIC just feels swifter.. smoother scrolling, faster transitions.
Just to point out, doing a Linkpack test on a snapdragon is pointless..you won't get proper results...The point of Linpack is to do a floating point operation using raw processing power of the CPU...The snapdragon for some reason uses its VFP for the floating point calculation in Linpack..which is a floating-point accelerator..its like taking a test with an answer sheet next to you lol

Quote:
Is see what Sprint did though.. they knew coming second, the EPIC couldnt compete with(the EVO) in public opinion as a touch only device, so they had them tack on a keyboard.. it works, and works well.. just rather have a larger display if i could tradeoff.
Actually..Sprint just has a policy of 1 phone per form factor...so once an Evo came out with no keyboard means automatically the next phone would either come 6month-1year later or must be a different form factor.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S / Epic 4g

KaliS is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKaliS is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKaliS is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKaliS is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKaliS is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to KaliS

excellent information. and in reality it just goes to show that sprint has 2 great phones to choose from and consumers just have to go with what they want, which is a HARD choice for some like me. i'm almost tempted to give the EVO a try to see if i miss having a physical keyboard and notice at all that the screen isn't as brilliant as that on the EPIC. i want the better phone, and i truly believe that the EPIC is better in someways...but that doesnt mean the other phone isnt also very very good or deficient.

the perfect phone would probably be either a Galaxy S with a 4.3" screen (with or without a keyboard) or an HTC Evo with a physical keyboard and super amoled screen. it looks like for not we can't have it all, so gotta make a choice or get them both...lol
Old 09-28-2010, 01:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: palm pre/htc tp
Carrier: sprint

dfve is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM_SOHC View Post
Got an evo, bought my girl an epic and that lasted for all of about 2 days lol, back went the epic and she got an evo... I wasn't impressed at all with the epic considering all the jive it put out (and isn't it funny you can walk right in an buy an epic but have to wait for an evo, that should tell you supply/demand right there)... A majority of people do their homework before purchasing a device, which is why the evo is still sold out and you can get an epic at any store u walk into that stocks them...

Samsung = Toyota
EVO = Lexus

Same base, but the Evo is just that much more appealing I guess... I went out on a limb purchasing a samsung device anyway just because of their lack of software/hardware support in the past, but in the end it was up to my girl and she loved my phone way more than the epic so the evo it was... Give samsung a little while to strengthen their smartphone abilities and I'm sure they'll be up to par soon enough but for now they don't have much on HTC, and I know I'm not the only one who thinks that...
is that her in the lil movie trailer??? lol

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison