PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2010, 03:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

Phen0m is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: EVO vs Epic.. Thinking of Evo, need opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeMoves View Post
I want to buy asap. I was exited to see the keyboard on the epic but I heard rumors of inferior call quality, 4g, wifi, and gps. Basically that these are buggy.

4G Is better on the epic between the two phones.. connects faster.. goes to sleep when not in use..Not sure why you heard wifi was bad? its fine/normal. GPS is probably inferior to the EVO, EPIC received an OTA update on 9/16/10 further addressing issues with it. afaik its fine/usable.

I think they will probably fix all of that but when?

Also heard evo has flash now?

Yes via Froyo(android 2.2), EPIC has flash lite via android 2.1

How good are the keyboard options for the evo?
Same across all platforms. Swype comes native on the EPIC, doesnt on EVO.. many options on both.

5char
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:45 PM
Master Kimosabi
Pocket PC: HTC s620<Touch Pro<Touch Pro2<Hero<EVO
Carrier: The 10 years ago Network

aman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Why would you need swype on the epic? Get an evo if you are going to use swype
Old 09-28-2010, 03:50 PM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman1127 View Post
Why would you need swype on the epic? Get an evo if you are going to use swype
evo doesn't come with swype like the epic does. just because the epic has a keyboard doesn't mean you want to use it. epic with a keyboard still weighs less then an evo.
Google is the next skynet
Old 09-28-2010, 04:31 PM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak

Please excuse the interruption....

But, since this has turned into another thread of which phone is better, I have moved it to the Phone Comparison forum.

Now you may feel free to carry on...
Old 09-28-2010, 05:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: palm pre/htc tp
Carrier: sprint

dfve is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdinog View Post
Ohh man, this is my ignorant point of view because I do not have the Epic.

GPS on the EVO is as good as it gets, no lag, very stable.
Durability, can't really say, I protect the phone a lot, though some have said it is durable.
Tethering is free if you Root! Awesome!
8 MP camera! Works great, great picture quality.

Which would be better? Can't really say as far as updates and such. I would say maybe both are obsolete in the next year or so.
most accurate opinion yet....
Old 09-28-2010, 05:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: palm pre/htc tp
Carrier: sprint

dfve is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
They mentioned why its cheap after what I said....and I never said once they are wrong or right...I was going through a possibility list of what could be the reason for that feel..

So your saying the plastic feels different from say the Evo or a TP2? Is there a phone that doesn't feel like a toy?

um..by that post it sounded like a continuation of the original argument about durability...can you prove to me based on that post alone that it is not? considering so far there was talk of durability?

Anyways we should be getting back on topic >.>
to much trying to pik the flysh*t out of the pepper in this thread
Old 09-28-2010, 06:09 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

nreeldeep is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phen0m View Post
I believe he's just eradicating some of the ridiculous notions and assumptions people have with that fantastic device. Its like they're threatened by it, in the same way there is no other phone.. to iphoner's.
Saying posters are threatened is a leap. Gten might feel somewhat threatened by critical analysis of the epic that doesn't jive with his. noone on any board can "eradicate" the ridiculous notions and assumptions of others. all one can do is offer his/her counter notions and assumptions.

your comparison post was terrific. as a satisfied evo owner and former epic owner, I agree with you. the epic edges the evo in some important areas. though I don't agree that the epic, hands down, is the better device. I call it a draw. as you said, timing, design and lack of mindshare have hurt the epic.

Last edited by nreeldeep; 09-28-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:19 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S / Epic 4g

KaliS is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKaliS is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKaliS is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKaliS is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKaliS is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to KaliS

i was playing around with my cuzn's EVO yesterday for a good couple of hours. it is big and fast and the screen is nice looking. but the one thing that i just didn't like was the standard keyboard, he didn't have swype on it and we couldn't find a download link for it. when i was typing on the onscreen keyboard i made TONS of mistakes and found myself wanting a physical keyboard for the sake of being precise. i think that is the one thing, for me, that really leans more to the EPIC, i do actually "need" a physical keyboard at times. i''m sure i could buy a BT keyboard, but then that is just another thing to carry around or find before quickly leaving the house or office. with the EPIC, like my TP2, its like im taking a mini-laptop with me and in the case that i do need precision, i can do what i need with no worries.

don't get me wrong, im really diggin the EVO and if there comes one with a keyboard at least, i would be all on it. the "look" of the EVO is really attractive and appealing. but that EPIC just seems a little more polished for MY needs... i just hope i don't get the EPIC and 3 months later that nice HTC with 4.3" screen, super Amoled, and updated TP2 like keyboard, is released....arrggghhhh!!!
Old 09-29-2010, 10:29 AM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaliS View Post
i was playing around with my cuzn's EVO yesterday for a good couple of hours. it is big and fast and the screen is nice looking. but the one thing that i just didn't like was the standard keyboard, he didn't have swype on it and we couldn't find a download link for it. when i was typing on the onscreen keyboard i made TONS of mistakes and found myself wanting a physical keyboard for the sake of being precise. i think that is the one thing, for me, that really leans more to the EPIC, i do actually "need" a physical keyboard at times. i''m sure i could buy a BT keyboard, but then that is just another thing to carry around or find before quickly leaving the house or office. with the EPIC, like my TP2, its like im taking a mini-laptop with me and in the case that i do need precision, i can do what i need with no worries.

don't get me wrong, im really diggin the EVO and if there comes one with a keyboard at least, i would be all on it. the "look" of the EVO is really attractive and appealing. but that EPIC just seems a little more polished for MY needs... i just hope i don't get the EPIC and 3 months later that nice HTC with 4.3" screen, super Amoled, and updated TP2 like keyboard, is released....arrggghhhh!!!
closed mouths don't get fed around here, if you want the new swype just ask. I have attached the most recent swype which was just released under 2 weeks ago. it is actually a newer version then what comes installed on the Epic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainfreak View Post
Please excuse the interruption....

But, since this has turned into another thread of which phone is better, I have moved it to the Phone Comparison forum.

Now you may feel free to carry on...
Look at the title, wasn't it a phone discussion from the beginning? you make it seem like the thread turned around or people were off topic or something of that nature.
Attached Files
File Type: apk swype2.44.apk (4.32 MB, 28 views) Click for barcode!
Old 09-29-2010, 10:32 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S / Epic 4g

KaliS is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKaliS is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKaliS is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKaliS is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKaliS is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to KaliS

question: one of the things i need to know is how do you use keyboard shortcut functions using the onscreen keyboard on the EVO? are the typical keyboard shortcuts even available on the android platform? im thinking of things like "ctrl-c or ctrl-v", "hold shift to select group" or "hld ctrl to select specific items". is there a mapping function to do this is on the Epic if its not a standard function or what?

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison