PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2010, 12:17 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: EVO vs Epic.. Thinking of Evo, need opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizhk View Post
From many posts that I have read. Swype is far superior to a keyboard. More convenient and faster then any sliding out of a keyboard.

So if it is not about a keyboard, and it is not about the screen (Epics will be coming in SLCD soon) then it is about software, size of screen, and processor. Take your pick, I pick Evo.

Wizhk
Well if you look at it that way SLCD is till better then a regular LCD used in an Evo..and since SLCD is not PenTile it may actually interest some people who found an issue with it.

In terms of processor Epic wins

In terms of software a lot of people prefer sense over touchwiz, but its not like most things sense does can't be replaced with Apps and Widgets..and within some time most likely a Sense port as well..

As for the size of the screen..as far as I see 4" is the most popular:
BGR Poll: What is your preferred smartphone touchscreen-display size? « Boy Genius Report

But yes it is your pick

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 09-27-2010, 12:48 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

TheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

My wife misses the built in stylus, and they do make ones that have something magnetic or whatever that work for the Evo, but the one I bought her turned out to be fatter on the end than it appeared on the net swite where I ordered it (it comes with a short string attached to a plastic plug-in that fits into the headphone jack to keep track of it, but that's goofy, doesn't fit into the holster, and is dangling all over - built-in would be much better). And she never used the keyboard on her Mogul, just the stylus.

My point is this - there is no perfect phone for everyone. She has an issue with the Evo because she has long fingernails, and can't use the tips of her fingers with the onscreen keyboard, or even a slide-out one.

I had used physical keyboard phones since 2005 with the Samsung i730. It had an industrial strength IR port, and built-in programmable software to control TV's,VCR's, etc, from accross the room. It was great for messing with the TV's in bars, friends homes, etc. I tried porting the software over to the Mogul, but it wouldn't work, and then I found out the Mogul's IR port was a lightweight, and only had a range of a couple feet or so. Then the IR port went away completely in sunsequent phones.

So we've lost the IR port, the stylus, and the Epic keyboard is inferior to the TP2's. HTC, how about a SuperEvo for those that want it. Android (Gingerbread), keyboard, stylus, and an industrial strength IR port. And let have regular video out in addition to HDMI. And anything else that's missing. A REAL SuperPhone
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:50 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

TheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
As for the size of the screen..as far as I see 4" is the most popular:
BGR Poll: What is your preferred smartphone touchscreen-display size? « Boy Genius Report
What other people like has never meant spit as to what I choose to buy, watch, listen to, or anything else.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:04 AM
"The Fuzzy One"

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBundo View Post
What other people like has never meant spit as to what I choose to buy, watch, listen to, or anything else.
I never said for you specifically..I was countering a general statement with a general statement..I clearly pointed out afterwards "But yes it is your pick"

As for response to your previous post..personally I do not see the hype with Capacitive over Resistive screens...in reality Resistive screens are cheaper and more advanced and more precise then Capacitive...then someone out there tried to convince people only capacitive screens can do multi touch..but Resistive screens can as well...I also miss the IR port...even as weak as the one on the Mogul..The Epic originally was suppose to have video out via 3.5mm but Sprint seems to have software locked it...

Realistically speaking I'm not expecting much from HTC lately..so far All I'm seeing is re-branded Evo's/Nexus ones and the only keyboard phone I've seen coming has 4 rows..I mean if you did something right..why mess it up?

From samsung based on information I'm gathering next Galaxy S will have an almost indestructible screen with half energy waste, no extra energy waste on whites and a Tegra2...sounds promising to me >.>

But obviously there is no perfect phone for everyone..so far if you notice I've only reiterated misconception of facts and my personal opinion nothing else...
Old 09-27-2010, 01:09 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG v10
Carrier: T-mobile

clockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Thing I have recently been really noticing is that on going developer support for the EVO is big and getting huge..

Consider, MIUI and Ported HTC Desire HD roms for starters. The EVO has a large following and extensive community.

Something I wish Samsung phones had slightly more of than it currently does...

-CC
Old 09-27-2010, 01:35 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockcycle View Post
Thing I have recently been really noticing is that on going developer support for the EVO is big and getting huge..

Consider, MIUI and Ported HTC Desire HD roms for starters. The EVO has a large following and extensive community.

Something I wish Samsung phones had slightly more of than it currently does...

-CC
Actually on XDA..the i9000 forums Development are 2x as big as the Evo development forums...and with a growing Vibrant, Captivate and Epic community...It also has quite some development outside XDA as well...The only thing to keep in mind is many people are new to samsung so it takes time to adjust..otherwise its growing at a really fast paced...

I don't exactly look to see which roms Evo has in particular..but on Epic we got a rom with overclock of 1.4ghz, do you?
Old 09-27-2010, 02:04 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG v10
Carrier: T-mobile

clockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Actually on XDA..the i9000 forums Development are 2x as big as the Evo development forums...and with a growing Vibrant, Captivate and Epic community...It also has quite some development outside XDA as well...The only thing to keep in mind is many people are new to samsung so it takes time to adjust..otherwise its growing at a really fast paced...

I don't exactly look to see which roms Evo has in particular..but on Epic we got a rom with overclock of 1.4ghz, do you?
I would love to see the Samsung community to continue to grow in support. I am glad other manufacturers are finally seeing the potential..

Competition sparks innovations that all can benefit from.

Haven't tried to OC, def nice, remember I like the Epic. Personally would hate to see what type of battery life that would get. Just pointing out that the EVO specifically has support for it. Although the Galaxy S may have a large support community, it is GSM based and the CDMA Epic with it's keyboard is a different monster and limited to what it can actually use from it's GSM brother's dev base.

But to show you what I mean, check this out ; YouTube - Android - Iphone MIUI ROM BEST ROM EVER!!! Fast nice MIUI everything works.

It's similar to what is on the HTC Desire HD "Enhanced Sense UI" being ported to the EVO.

-CC

EDIT: Grats on the Orange name gTen

Last edited by clockcycle; 09-27-2010 at 02:12 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: palm pre/htc tp
Carrier: sprint

dfve is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phen0m View Post
Well I have the EPIC, and I know this is an EVO forum, but im seeking information.. as im coming up on my 30days.. and want to make a sound decision.

Im really not too disenchanted with my EPIC unlike most people, the biggest issues for me are:
Phone charges slower than any phone ive ever seen, and also drains just as fast.. You can do things to increase standby Battery time, but in-use.. the Battery literally drips away right in front of you(funny because super amoled is supposed to help immensely with batt. life).

EVO Questions:
-How is the EVO's IN-USE battery time approx. I know this will widely vary, but with normal usage(web, IM's, gaming.. what can i expect).
-Gaming, How well do emulators(PSX in particular) run? How are the touch-screen controls?

-Does the EVO have a "sleep" method for 3G/4G(Epic does sleep when not in use)

-Overall performance.. Ive had 0 issue's with my EPIC gaming or in Multimedia.. how does the EVO fare in this arena?

-Lastly.. how is the sound when used as a mp3 player?

Thanks!!
go on, be a big boy n make your own decision, no one here cares what you buy both are great phones
Old 09-27-2010, 03:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S / Epic 4g

KaliS is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKaliS is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKaliS is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKaliS is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKaliS is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to KaliS

i love this thread as it is offering relevant thoughts to consider regarding EVO vs. EPIC buying decision. im facing the same dilemma as i approach my upgrade time in october . im in a TP2 now and have been with HTC since they had the ppc-6700, so a hardware keyboard is what im used to. that being said, if there was an onscreen keyboard that i could get all the functionality out of it i was definitely consider it, hence the EVO choice. i also like huge screens and the EVO wins there. that being said, the EPIC also has a huge screen and with other goodies (gorilla glass and super amoled). i think the the choice of differences seems to boil down to these:

EVO
-huge screen that is excellent
-HTC sense
-large community support that is very active for some time now
-more hype and "it" factor
-captures what iphone haters love, bigger screen with a different look that can do everything iphone can.
-solid HTC support, perceived from manufacture track record

EPIC
-very large screen that is super amoled & gorilla glass
-excellent processor
-excellent graphics for gaming & advanced multimedia
-great battery life
-excellent keyboard
-more up to date build quality
-"wait & see" support perceived from manufacturer

with those things in mind. i have to think about what i want to do with the device and what i HAVE already been using my previous devices for. im a business user that also likes to have phone with my devices...my use/wants have mainly been:

1) ability to check all my email accounts on the go and send email as well (i have 5 accounts that need constant checking)
2) ability to view, edit, create MS-Word documents and other files from MS-Office.
3) ability read PDF docs (being able to create would be good too)
4) i want to be able to play some games while im in court and have down time
5) must have FM radio! i was pissed that this was something the TP2 didnt get and i got drained waiting for developers to figure it out...dont know if they ever did.
6) i dont want to have to do a lot of extra adding ROMs to get my phone to be good. i want something that is excellent out the box.
7) no freezing, stalling, black screen of death, malfunctioning keyboards, super hot battery, or any of the other issues that plagued the TP2. these issues made what should have been my "2 year phone" into my "i can't wait to something better comes out" phone.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:40 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: EVO 4G Stock 2.2

Wizhk is just getting started

Quote:
Well if you look at it that way SLCD is till better then a regular LCD used in an Evo..
Evo is SLCD. Just clearing some things up.

Wizhk

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison