PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2009, 08:22 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

Drybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Are forced Firmware updates over the air illegal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxtech3 View Post
if you arent happy with the way the phone updates, return it
Any configuration of the above statement has got the be the lamest comment ever.

"If you don't like [insert product feature or company policy here] return the phone."

1. Completely useless comment. Does anyone really need to be told that they have this as an option? Everybody knows they can return the phone.

2. People want to voice their opinions about various product features and company policies and this usually doesn't mean that they want to completely get rid of the product, and if it does, see point 1.

Every time I see somebody post a comment like this, I have to roll my eyes.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:34 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTV EVO
Carrier: VZW
Threadstarter

caleb02 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcaleb02 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcaleb02 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to caleb02 Send a message via MSN to caleb02 Send a message via Yahoo to caleb02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybonz View Post
Any configuration of the above statement has got the be the lamest comment ever.

"If you don't like [insert product feature or company policy here] return the phone."

1. Completely useless comment. Does anyone really need to be told that they have this as an option? Everybody knows they can return the phone.

2. People want to voice their opinions about various product features and company policies and this usually doesn't mean that they want to completely get rid of the product, and if it does, see point 1.

but sometimes you cant return the phone after either so many minutes used as in the case with Revol Wireless 7 minutes by the way and with sprint 30 days but with limits....

i dont have the pre but i would not get rid of it just because of the forced updates. i like updates of all kinds, as should any ppcgeeks users. lets face it if you are using custom roms then always updating to the lastest version then you wont mind the forced palm pre updates. the only differences is that we chose to update and not the phone......
Old 06-25-2009, 09:19 AM
VIP & Proud Member of CBM
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2-Sprint, HTC Evo Fully Rooted-Sprint
Carrier: Sprint Nextel

nxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybonz View Post

and I think anybody who complains about a certain feature of a phone, unless its a bug or some techinical issue, is also a useless comment. The phone updates the way it does, no matter how much anybody complains, its going to still do the same thing. So go ahead and roll your eyes.

"I pity tha fool... that don't press !"

Last edited by nxtech3; 06-25-2009 at 09:22 AM.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:20 PM
In the state of confusion
Pocket PC: EVO ONE(M7), Galaxy S4

sanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to sanmanc Send a message via MSN to sanmanc Send a message via Yahoo to sanmanc

The Pre tells you that it will update in 7 days whether you like it or not. Why not do it while you are sitting on the couch watching TV or sitting at the table having breakfast or dinner or reading ppcgeeks or sitting on the pot? I'm sure there are other telephones around during that time you can use in case of an emergency. It takes no more than ten minutes to complete so if you can't give up 10 minutes during a 35280 minute time frame you are a busy person and maybe should have more than one telecommunications device.

There I finally vented about this subject. I feel much better now.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:34 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

caleb02 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcaleb02 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcaleb02 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to caleb02 Send a message via MSN to caleb02 Send a message via Yahoo to caleb02

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmanc View Post
The Pre tells you that it will update in 7 days whether you like it or not. Why not do it while you are sitting on the couch watching TV or sitting at the table having breakfast or dinner or reading ppcgeeks or sitting on the pot? I'm sure there are other telephones around during that time you can use in case of an emergency. It takes no more than ten minutes to complete so if you can't give up 10 minutes during a 35280 minute time frame you are a busy person and maybe should have more than one telecommunications device.

There I finally vented about this subject. I feel much better now.
when i went to mercer county community college for summer classes a person died while on the toilet.... lets say he was updating his pre back then and it got bricked........
Old 06-25-2009, 02:48 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

Drybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxtech3 View Post
and I think anybody who complains about a certain feature of a phone, unless its a bug or some techinical issue, is also a useless comment. The phone updates the way it does, no matter how much anybody complains, its going to still do the same thing. So go ahead and roll your eyes.
I don't know what you are talking about. There are all kinds of changes that have been generated from customer complaints all across the market, regardless of the product, going back as far as you can go... and any good company that is serious about providing the highest level of support for their product welcomes this type of dialog.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:56 PM
In the state of confusion
Pocket PC: EVO ONE(M7), Galaxy S4

sanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to sanmanc Send a message via MSN to sanmanc Send a message via Yahoo to sanmanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb02 View Post
when i went to mercer county community college for summer classes a person died while on the toilet.... lets say he was updating his pre back then and it got bricked........
What caused this person to die? If this person died of cardiac arrest or a heart attack chances are this person would probably not have had the ability to make a phone call.

Last edited by sanmanc; 06-25-2009 at 03:06 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre

johndeere92 is keeping up the good workjohndeere92 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via MSN to johndeere92

Let's say someones using their iPhone while on the toilet..texting someone..it freezes up..then they start to have a heart attack for whatever reason..is it apples fault that they make a pos phone? Should it be illegal for them to sell that phone? Any phone made by anybody is capable of freezing up/malfunctioning maybe even bricking on its own which I have heard of some iPhones doing. This is a ridiculous argument. It may be an interesting story but there is no point in saying that Palm's auto update is going to result in people dying. Any phone malfunctioning for whatever reason could result in someone not being able to dial 911.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:46 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmanc View Post
What caused this person to die? If this person died of cardiac arrest or a heart attack chances are this person would probably not have had the ability to make a phone call.
my guess is that he had one heck of a s***

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeere92 View Post
Let's say someones using their iPhone while on the toilet..texting someone..it freezes up..then they start to have a heart attack for whatever reason..is it apples fault that they make a pos phone? Should it be illegal for them to sell that phone? Any phone made by anybody is capable of freezing up/malfunctioning maybe even bricking on its own which I have heard of some iPhones doing. This is a ridiculous argument. It may be an interesting story but there is no point in saying that Palm's auto update is going to result in people dying. Any phone malfunctioning for whatever reason could result in someone not being able to dial 911.
I would say that yes it is an interesting story and perhaps a jury would award some one something like the lady who sued mcdonalds after spilling coffee on herself.... remember this is the age of non personal responsibility, someone else is always to blame... johnny got a "F" on his test because the teacher refused for him to use enhanced test taking methods.... a.k.a. cheating. you see if johnny fails then it makes the teacher look bad and her stats go down.....
Old 06-26-2009, 05:35 AM
Gatornator
Pocket PC: Palm Pre /3 EVO 4G's/1 moPho!

gator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeere92 View Post
We're not talking about just using the phone for whatever purpose and it malfunctions while needing to dial 911. We are talking about FORCED updates. FORCED. Without your actual consent. I'm all for auto updates, if I so choose to set it that way. There was legislation for PC software makers to stop forcing auto updates for thier software without first acknowledging to the user that there is an update and give the user an option to either exit or continue at thier own risk. This is all about choice. You can love the phone, want the phone, keep the phone, diddle the phone, all to your hearts content but still hate a feature it has. Yeah, any phone can malfunction keeping you from dialing 911 but there is one key difference. That difference is called FORCED update! If that forced update fails rendering your phone useless for whatever reason, then yeah they are/should be responsible. Period.

Last edited by gator352; 06-26-2009 at 05:44 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre