PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2009, 03:38 PM
VIP & Proud Member of CBM
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2-Sprint, HTC Evo Fully Rooted-Sprint
Carrier: Sprint Nextel

nxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Are forced Firmware updates over the air illegal?

a heart attack while updating a Pre, i knew flashing ROM's could be an adrenaline rush but thats just crazy!!!! lol

"I pity tha fool... that don't press !"
Old 06-20-2009, 03:41 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

Drybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insoc View Post
The original question was answered already so why are we still digging?
Hey, man... you are the one that just posted... so, yeah...

And I still haven't got any answers about the baboon heart... so this thread lives... ON!

*edit* RAWR!!!!!!
Old 06-20-2009, 10:03 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTV EVO
Carrier: VZW
Threadstarter

caleb02 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcaleb02 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcaleb02 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to caleb02 Send a message via MSN to caleb02 Send a message via Yahoo to caleb02

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk511 View Post
What if you're at home flashing the new mystery rom and you have a heart attack while the rom install is at 46% completion, then how do you call 911?
the difference being is that mystery doeload his rom automatically and then force me 7days later to install it. i chose to download mystery rom and chose to install it
Old 06-21-2009, 12:00 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Mogul --> Touch Pro(Running PhantomRom)

GREY.FOXX is keeping up the good workGREY.FOXX is keeping up the good workGREY.FOXX is keeping up the good work
Send a message via MSN to GREY.FOXX Send a message via Skype™ to GREY.FOXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb02 View Post
why am i an idiot for not having a land line? many more people are cutting the cord and many cellphone companies such as cricket even market to people saying to replace your home phone with the cellphone.... Many people only give out their cellphone numbers even for jobs calling them. When I had an home phone for dsl i never gave the number out. When Qwest offered naked dsl I dropped the home phone and only kept the dsl.... I have no need for a home phone it so 19th century.... I think one in 5 years maybe 10 that att, verizon, and qwest will sell and or shut down their homephone service as cellphones will become even more of a staple. We have seen Verizon even today shift its coporate stragerty toward cellphones and away from homephones as cellphones offer more profit for them then homephones.
Dude calm down I didn't mean nothing by it.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:47 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTV EVO
Carrier: VZW
Threadstarter

caleb02 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcaleb02 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcaleb02 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to caleb02 Send a message via MSN to caleb02 Send a message via Yahoo to caleb02

i wonder if this thread can get 30,000 hits on it..... i think that all updates should have an option for a backup restore built into the phone should the forced ota update fail. by pressing a certain button or buttons upon bootup like the volume key and send should bring the restore program that has a hidden area of memory that contain the shipped rom setup files...
Old 06-23-2009, 12:25 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

Donatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to Donatom3 Send a message via MSN to Donatom3 Send a message via Yahoo to Donatom3

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb02 View Post
i wonder if this thread can get 30,000 hits on it..... i think that all updates should have an option for a backup restore built into the phone should the forced ota update fail. by pressing a certain button or buttons upon bootup like the volume key and send should bring the restore program that has a hidden area of memory that contain the shipped rom setup files...
From Palm:

http://kb.palm.com/wps/portal/kb/na/...192D0.0665F1EC

If an update fails to install properly
  • In the rare event that an update fails, your phone restarts and attempts to reinstall the update up to three times. If your phone still fails to install the update, a message with information on what to do next is displayed on the screen for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, your phone turns off.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:32 PM
Gatornator
Pocket PC: Palm Pre /3 EVO 4G's/1 moPho!

gator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I don't have a landline and proud of it. But I do have 3 cell phones. One sits next to our bed fully charged and ready to go when and if I need it. Now....

Having something forced upon you when you PAY for the service should be illegal. It should be your choice and your choice only if you want to upgrade the software or not. I know, i just thought about like say comcast decides to upgrade thier systems to docsis 3.0 and forces you to get a docsis 3.0 cable modem if you want the speed. But there is a difference. Docsis 3.0 is backward compatible with 2.0 so it's up to you if you want to go that route.

Sprint/Palm forcing updates without consent to your phone that you bought and a plan you picked and pay for is down right wrong. It's almost like sprint/palm openening your front door, going to your phone, updating it, and leaving without shutting the door as you sit watching tv wondering what the hell just happened!! I know for one, anyone entering my home without consent and intent for anything other than handing me a check for 1 million bucks is going to get two in the chest and one in the head.

Now don't get me wrong. You should update with every available update, but it still should be your choice. And yeah, I think that if a forced update bricks your phone at 2am in a comlete coverage area and you need to dial 911 cause your wife went into labor or something, they should be liable to the fullest extent of the law. I will own palm if they update my wifes phone and at 2am, i goto dial 911, and it says....update could not be completed. you must restart your phone so changes can be made......while she or I, lay there bleeding profusely. This is the start of Obuma Care. Forcing things apon you that you don't want or need........thank you, thank you very much!

Last edited by gator352; 06-24-2009 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:23 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

Donatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to Donatom3 Send a message via MSN to Donatom3 Send a message via Yahoo to Donatom3

Wasn't there an agreement when you first activate the phone, and didn't this agreement cover updates? If so it should be legal.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:38 PM
VIP & Proud Member of CBM
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2-Sprint, HTC Evo Fully Rooted-Sprint
Carrier: Sprint Nextel

nxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

if you arent happy with the way the phone updates, return it, the phone was released June 6th so everybody that has one can return. Unless someone got it a couple weeks early (like me) then you might be screwed!
Old 06-24-2009, 07:54 PM
Gatornator
Pocket PC: Palm Pre /3 EVO 4G's/1 moPho!

gator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

No, it's not how it updates, it's the manner in how it updates, without your consent. MMMM, sounds to me you guys don't care about personal freedom and I bet you guys voted for Obuma! Let's see how you guys feel when the gov't FORCES you to buy a certain car with certain features with auto updates for it's systems and one of those udates screws up your car leaving you stranded. I'm not trying to be a jerk guys, but I, like most people, don't like things rammed down my throat without my knowledge and consent. Beside I would return it but it's my wifes phone and she loves it, except for the auto updates.

Last edited by gator352; 06-24-2009 at 08:03 PM.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre