PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia > Omnia Development
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2009, 11:18 AM
The Pusher
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

Adrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Adrynalyne's Base and M2D ROMs

The thing about backups are this. They back everything they can up, or whatever you specify.

So, if I make a registry change in my rom, and you restore your backup, which typically includes the registry, you've undone my work. If I remove a file, and you restore your backup, which includes the \Windows directory, you are putting that file back.

This is the only real disadvantage of using cooked roms, is that backups are dimished somewhat. I always restore my contacts, email, and personal folders from backup, regardless of rom release.

There is a solution, sort of. I've not used it, but may start.

http://www.modaco.com/content/i9x0-o...r-the-dummies/

As for whether you reinstall now, and the backup be good for the future roms--I can say this.

There will be no more radical changes that I can forsee, such as file removal. So in that respect, you are covered. Fixes are mostly what I have planned, with maybe some added features.

That said, I am not going to be updating 1.0 for a bit unless its an emergency, so don't worry about me bringing out 1.x tommorrow
Old 04-27-2009, 11:35 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

nvrmind is keeping up the good worknvrmind is keeping up the good work

Awesome tutorial... I hadn't seen that, just been using it stock... seems to work very well for me, so far. However, it enables SSL for my ActiveSync, so I still have to go in and change that, but the rest of the email accounts (I have two others) work great.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

lazer9 is a n00b

Just wanted to add a thanks again to Adrynalyne for excellent work with base 1.0 and to say I have used spb backup to restore all my apps via Full backup but in "Rom upgrade" mode and selecting no to "File over write". So far no issues and pleased at the free device storage still 98.32mb free after backup restore which is 76mb more than I would have with the Verizon original or Beta.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

nvrmind is keeping up the good worknvrmind is keeping up the good work

Here's a couple of programs, iDialer and iContacts, that are small and really work well. Maybe a candidate for the next ROM... get rid of the crappy Samsung Contacts...

Thanks

edit: oops... forgot the link

Last edited by nvrmind; 04-27-2009 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:38 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Omnia II

Robtao is keeping up the good workRobtao is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruven98 View Post
That's a really good question, because i too just recently had to re-flash to the "leaked" rom and re-installed all my apps that i'm running. Then backed up with Resco.

I really want to try Big A's cooking skills myself. So if we flash over to 1.0 and restore from back up, what are we left with?
I backed up with SPB backup after flashing the leaked ROM, then flashed a full restore with Rozzer's ROM, using ROM update mode and leaving "Overwrite files" unchecked. Active Sync wouldn't work. Then I reflashed with "Overwrite files" and ActiveSync worked again. But both versions put back all of the VZW crap, and filled the ROM back up. Edit: Maybe not both.

[Edit: I am not certain of the differences between "Overwrite" or not. I don't think I checked to see about the Verizon crap being there when I unchecked "Overwrite" because ActiveSync not working was a deal breaker.]

I would like to see a way to change ROMs and still add back all of my installed apps, but I think when you restore the "system" portion of the ROM, you get the bad back with the good, meaning that the old ROM is basically restored.

If anyone knows how to quickly restore favorite APPs into a new ROM, I think that is what everyone is looking for. I know Sashimi was one way, but i find it just about as fast to simply manually restore from 2 main folders on my storage card, under "CABs", called Main and My Storage, which is where I will install them to.

Verizon: XV6700, XV6800 w/ROMs cooked in PPCGeeks Kitchen, Omnia i910 with cac2us ROM and Omnia 2 with Ninja4Hire's ROMS.

Last edited by Robtao; 04-27-2009 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:14 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Moto Droid

JonV is keeping up the good workJonV is keeping up the good workJonV is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robtao View Post
I backed up with SPB backup after flashing the leaked ROM, then flashed a full restore with Rozzer's ROM, using ROM update mode and leaving "Overwrite files" unchecked. Active Sync wouldn't work. Then I reflashed with "Overwrite files" and ActiveSync worked again. But both versions put back all of the VZW crap, and filled the ROM back up.

I would like to see a way to change ROMs and still add back all of my installed apps, but I think when you restore the "system" portion of the ROM, you get the bad back with the good, meaning that the old ROM is basically restored.

If anyone knows how to quickly restore favorite APPs into a new ROM, I think that is what everyone is looking for. I know Sashimi was one way, but i find it just about as fast to simply manually restore from 2 main folders on my storage card, under "CABs", called Main and My Storage, which is where I will install them to.
I was psyched as I read lazer9's account a couple post back that restoring using SPB backup seemed to be the answer once you used the correct settings (which is what I was about to research) however Robtao's findings seem to differ. Maybe I'll have to experiment myself.

I count 38 apps in my Remove Programs list. Some of these won't be needed because they are cooked in. I also keep the installers on the SD card so it is somewhat simpler to reinstall than to surf all over heck. However, it's not just the re-installing that's the pain. It's getting all the registration keys back in place and the re-tweaking of the settings to get back where I was.

Restoring after the leaked ROM was pain free obviously due to it be the same but better version.

It is obvious to me that reclaiming 70-80mb of storage and having a snappier system is worth the pain. However, I'm trying to make sure I have to do it before I do it. Thanks for your help.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

lazer9 is a n00b

Like I said, doing the backup via Spb backup/Rom Restore and not overwriting files seems to have worked fine for me. Saves a whole lot of time re-installing.

With that said, I just noticed my first issue which I don't believe is related to the backup but rather with the removal of support for prior .NET Frameworks? I have a program PocketLastFM.net that will not run now and seems to be requesting Net Framework V2 to be present. I've downloaded the Microsoft redistributable SP and upon running it via activesync, it requests on the Omnia upon install that I first have to remove the newer version of .Net which I don't want to do since some things need V3.5 or whatever. Any solution to this?
Old 04-27-2009, 01:35 PM
The Pusher
Threadstarter

Adrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the community

3.5 is cooked in but for that odd program that needs 2.5 it will need to ne installed. It will not overwrite 3.5.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

lazer9 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrynalyne View Post
3.5 is cooked in but for that odd program that needs 2.5 it will need to ne installed. It will not overwrite 3.5.
Interesting, and with that, maybe I have found my first issue via my backup/restore

Seems for some reason I had manually installed 3.5 awhile back and as I have a listing in (Remove Programs) for it. So I have tried to un-install via that route, however I got an error that it couldn't be completely un-installed but I was able to chose to remove the listing in (Remove Programs). Now I tried again to install 2.0 and it still gives the warning "can't install, must first remove current version". Looks like a hard reset and manually adding in all my programs?

Can anyone confirm that they can in fact add .Net V2?

Update: Somewhere along the line of removing NetCfg V3.5 that I had listed in the (Remove Programs) as well as via SKTools Installed Programs, even though V2 still refused to install, now the PocketLastFM.net is working fine.

Last edited by lazer9; 04-27-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:05 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Phantom27 is keeping up the good workPhantom27 is keeping up the good work

I just wanted to report a bug. I think it's a bug anyway... I'm using V1.0 and have found that on the top bar (task bar I think) the battery shows a charging icon even when I'm not charging. I didn't realize that with .9. I can't think of any programs that I have installed that would cause this problem.

I hardly ever get the battery icon, just the charging icon.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia > Omnia Development