PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2008, 11:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch (Vogue)
Carrier: Telus
Threadstarter

Soul_Est is keeping up the good workSoul_Est is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: I would like your input on this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggsie View Post
<scrambles to google>
I wonder; did you happen to try to un-check the enable advanced network functionality on the USB to PC connection setting applet?
That's a great idea. Unfortunately after testing that theory it would appear that WM5torage hates cards formatted in FAT32. I'll test again with a FAT16 formatted card and post my findings.

Various tweaks and programs found on XDA-Developers, PPCGeeks, MoDaCo, and WinMo-Experts forums.

Thank you to all the experts who enlighten us on the ways of enhancing our phones beyond the norm.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:05 AM
Livin' Dangerously
Pocket PC: Evo!/TOUCHPRO2/ ALSO TOUCH PRO
Carrier: PPCGEEKS SPRINT JUST HELPS ME CALL PEOPLE.

SBR_L3GION should be added to the payroll for their contributionsSBR_L3GION should be added to the payroll for their contributionsSBR_L3GION should be added to the payroll for their contributionsSBR_L3GION should be added to the payroll for their contributionsSBR_L3GION should be added to the payroll for their contributionsSBR_L3GION should be added to the payroll for their contributionsSBR_L3GION should be added to the payroll for their contributionsSBR_L3GION should be added to the payroll for their contributionsSBR_L3GION should be added to the payroll for their contributionsSBR_L3GION should be added to the payroll for their contributionsSBR_L3GION should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via MSN to SBR_L3GION Send a message via Yahoo to SBR_L3GION

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggsie View Post
There seem to be quite a few people who could do without the entire PPCKitchen. The suggestion I made, would cater to their (individual) needs, in that a ton of CABs would be built into the actual RUU_signed.nbh file and on first boot, Tier Autoinstall would fire up and list all of those CABs. Then, the user could select only the programs that they wanted.

Of course, this isn't my project, but I think the idea has merit, too. Unfortunately, because it would (potentially) contain so many CABs, the RUU_signed.nbh file would be H-U-G-E.

Best regards,
-boggsie
for new users this is one of the best ideas i have ever heard if i didnt add e few extras to my stuff i would load this on my parents phones but they want there phones very similar to mine. i love the direction this is going if this winds up being a pretty stable rom with this idea in it i will keep it on my memory card in case i flash a rom that i dont. then i can just flash back and be totally happy.

If I have helped you out or you enjoy my work please feel free to donate.

Helpful ROM cooking Info

How To: Registry edit to .cab
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:26 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBR_L3GION View Post
for new users this is one of the best ideas i have ever heard if i didnt add e few extras to my stuff i would load this on my parents phones but they want there phones very similar to mine. i love the direction this is going if this winds up being a pretty stable rom with this idea in it i will keep it on my memory card in case i flash a rom that i dont. then i can just flash back and be totally happy.
I'm glad your interested in this barebone ROM project. I believe the only things differentiating this project from others is what I'll be adding to them in the coming weeks and months. Your added ideas and opinions will help to ultimately decide where I'll take this project in the future.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:26 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

stealth-twinturbo is just getting started

How bare will you make this rom? Will you have keyboards included? and or 6 tab home? The only thing i hope is that it is smooth and fast running im sick of my touch running like maple syrup, need new damn video drivers.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:52 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch HD (Blackstone)
Carrier: T-Mobile US

jim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuff

hey i just wanna say that this really does sound like an awesome project/idea. especially the package ideas/the ability to get updated cabs and such from other servers in order to conserve space and keep up-to-date. very slick idea and pretty innovative too!

ill definitely be keeping an eye on this project, thanks a lot. as for now i dont think i have anything to add other than SPEED is huge to me, and i as well believe that the touch is LARGELY lacking in that area. even with all the best software, cleanest rom, best reg-edits, and most efficient page-pool...it can still be pretty sluggish.

thanks again!

Don't forget to donate or say thanks!

Flashing How To for Vogue

Super cheap phones: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=39267

HD or iPhone http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=44839

Android on Vogue (by dzo): http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=23244
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:14 AM
SuperNoob
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level

Deleted by ME! Same as next Post...Just having a noob moment!

Last edited by rstoyguy; 05-22-2008 at 09:22 AM.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:17 AM
SuperNoob

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggsie
There seem to be quite a few people who could do without the entire PPCKitchen. The suggestion I made, would cater to their (individual) needs, in that a ton of CABs would be built into the actual RUU_signed.nbh file and on first boot, Tier Autoinstall would fire up and list all of those CABs. Then, the user could select only the programs that they wanted.

Of course, this isn't my project, but I think the idea has merit, too. Unfortunately, because it would (potentially) contain so many CABs, the RUU_signed.nbh file would be H-U-G-E.

Best regards,
-boggsie
This project would not be difficult at all. Take a clean build, follow my tutorial in my sig, and then....I could easily create an OEM for TierAutoInstall where users would simply drop their cabs into a special_OEM, the special_OEM would then be dropped into the kitchen OEM directory and rebuilt to suite anyone! Let me know and I could upload the build-it-yourself-cab-oem. Then the user would just have to buildos, buildit, and then flash their rom. I can see that working fairly smoothly.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:20 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth-twinturbo View Post
How bare will you make this rom? Will you have keyboards included? and or 6 tab home? The only thing i hope is that it is smooth and fast running im sick of my touch running like maple syrup, need new damn video drivers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Est View Post
No problem at all. Giving your input on what you'd like to see included in the ROM is what this thread is about right? I'll try and look for it although I'm not sure what versions I'll find.

The RL (RegLogger) ROM will be finished by this weekend and I should have an OEM of Opera Mobile 9.5 Beta finished not long after. I'll send PMs to those who replied to my thread with a link to download the a 'test' ROM. This ROM will be based either on no2chem's kitchen-ifyied 3.04 (Alltel) ROM or the leaked Sprint 3.02 ROM. After I get the responses from you all on what works and what doesn't, I'll begin my work on porting a Kaiser, Polaris or Diamond SYS to a stock Alltel and cleaning it all out as much as I possibly can including removing Outlook, PIE, and settings like Owner Information (which I find to be kind of a security threat so I never used it) and editing the registry to suit. I'm doing this not because it seems cool. I've been inspired to put more work into my ROM due to these to threads here and here. If anyone thinks removing these would be impossible, let me know. That all said, I'm now looking at my touch running my test RL ROM and QuickMenu is showing me that I have 82mb of memory free. I believe you're all in for a nice treat.

One more thing: I did not put this thread out there to gather arguments, it is meant only to gather ideas from those interested in a different ROM. No bickering please.
I hope for the ROM to be about that bare. No keyboards. No dialpad skins or smartdial. No PIE. No Outlook. No video or even gps drivers. Nothing goes onto that ROM unless you decide to put it there. So you'll need the bare essentials to make it usable: 1) A dialpad skin. 2) A keyboard. 3) Drivers for sound, video, gps as well as the tweaks to the data connection for PIE, Opera Mobile, and Skyfire.

The choice is yours...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim2561 View Post
hey i just wanna say that this really does sound like an awesome project/idea. especially the package ideas/the ability to get updated cabs and such from other servers in order to conserve space and keep up-to-date. very slick idea and pretty innovative too!

ill definitely be keeping an eye on this project, thanks a lot. as for now i dont think i have anything to add other than SPEED is huge to me, and i as well believe that the touch is LARGELY lacking in that area. even with all the best software, cleanest rom, best reg-edits, and most efficient page-pool...it can still be pretty sluggish.

thanks again!
No problem at all. I'm glad you like the ideas being expressed in this brainstorming session and are bumping the ones you like. I hope you enjoy the ROMs once they are finished.

@Everyone
I'm just about to test the latest build of the RL now. It'll be this one that gets the registry tweaks for speed. You will all be invited to try the ROM over the weekend. I'll definitely need your input on the speed and stability of the build before I can proceed any further with the producing the new ROMs.

Best regards to you all,
Soul_Est
Old 05-22-2008, 08:50 AM
b00nsquad
Pocket PC: Touch PRO 2
Carrier: Sprint SERO

boggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstoyguy View Post
This project would not be difficult at all. Take a clean build, follow my tutorial in my sig, and then....I could easily create an OEM for TierAutoInstall where users would simply drop their cabs into a special_OEM, the special_OEM would then be dropped into the kitchen OEM directory and rebuilt to suite anyone! Let me know and I could upload the build-it-yourself-cab-oem. Then the user would just have to buildos, buildit, and then flash their rom. I can see that working fairly smoothly.
I'm not sure if I understand correctly, but it seems that this idea heads back to a user-driven unique build, which contains the cabs which that user prefers.

Again, I am not a driver as this is not my project, but I believe one of the goals is to produce an extremely lightweight, clean base and then have the ability to allow the user to select cabs for installation, after the RUU_signed.nbh has been flashed to the phone.

My initial thought was to integrate *.cab into the RUU_signed.nbh and so upon first boot, TierAutoinstall would fire up and allow any user who flashed the rom, to select their custom options ... all of this, driven by a single RUU_signed.nbh and all of this done by a user who did not have to use any Kitchen (BuildOS, etc.).

The immediately obvious down side(s) to the approach I hinted at are: (a) the RUU_signed.nbh would be HUGE and (b) the RUU_signed.nbh would need to be re-created by the project author, as soon as any one of the included *.cab files had been updated.

In the approach he is describing, I think Soul_Est is approaching this from a utility perspective, where web-sites that have *.cab files available (a cab_catalog.xml ?) are polled at some point (post hard-reset) and at that point, the installation manager (utility) facilitates the real-time selection of cabs (by the user) for installation. The cabs are then retrieved (over-the-air ?) and installed.

The idea you presented, rstoyguy, certainly has merit, but it sounds as if it would still require BuildOS and/or a Kitchen and I think part of the rationale behind this project is providing an option to those who may be intimidated by the whole idea of using BuildOS or a Kitchen.

Best regards,
-boggsie
Old 05-22-2008, 09:49 AM
SuperNoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Est View Post
That could be a problem since TierAutoinstall has already been OEM'd although I'd like to hear more on this idea of yours. Please elaborate.
You'll have to be very specific on how to do this. You could:

1. Have users download a compressed kitchen with a clean build. Add their cab files to "empty OEM" I have attached. Copy to ..\kitchen\oem (so it gets cooked into the kitchen) Have them run BuildOs.exe, then BuildIt.bat, then flash

2. Have users add their cab files to an "empty oem", copy to the ppckitchen USER_OEM. Then they must select TierAutoInstall and the "User_TierAutoInstall_Cabs" then build their rom.

This was users can take a clean rom, have their cabs they want, all with minimal size. Each cab would be uninstallable, they could run TAutoInstall.exe anytime to test, etc... I could easily help with the either option. The user would have to be told not to mess with anything else or be properly schooled briefly...
Attached Files
File Type: zip User_TierAutoInstall_Cabs.zip (1.1 KB, 5 views) Click for barcode!
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue