View Single Post
Old 05-22-2008, 08:50 AM
boggsie
b00nsquad

boggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: I would like your input on this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstoyguy View Post
This project would not be difficult at all. Take a clean build, follow my tutorial in my sig, and then....I could easily create an OEM for TierAutoInstall where users would simply drop their cabs into a special_OEM, the special_OEM would then be dropped into the kitchen OEM directory and rebuilt to suite anyone! Let me know and I could upload the build-it-yourself-cab-oem. Then the user would just have to buildos, buildit, and then flash their rom. I can see that working fairly smoothly.
I'm not sure if I understand correctly, but it seems that this idea heads back to a user-driven unique build, which contains the cabs which that user prefers.

Again, I am not a driver as this is not my project, but I believe one of the goals is to produce an extremely lightweight, clean base and then have the ability to allow the user to select cabs for installation, after the RUU_signed.nbh has been flashed to the phone.

My initial thought was to integrate *.cab into the RUU_signed.nbh and so upon first boot, TierAutoinstall would fire up and allow any user who flashed the rom, to select their custom options ... all of this, driven by a single RUU_signed.nbh and all of this done by a user who did not have to use any Kitchen (BuildOS, etc.).

The immediately obvious down side(s) to the approach I hinted at are: (a) the RUU_signed.nbh would be HUGE and (b) the RUU_signed.nbh would need to be re-created by the project author, as soon as any one of the included *.cab files had been updated.

In the approach he is describing, I think Soul_Est is approaching this from a utility perspective, where web-sites that have *.cab files available (a cab_catalog.xml ?) are polled at some point (post hard-reset) and at that point, the installation manager (utility) facilitates the real-time selection of cabs (by the user) for installation. The cabs are then retrieved (over-the-air ?) and installed.

The idea you presented, rstoyguy, certainly has merit, but it sounds as if it would still require BuildOS and/or a Kitchen and I think part of the rationale behind this project is providing an option to those who may be intimidated by the whole idea of using BuildOS or a Kitchen.

Best regards,
-boggsie
This post has been thanked 1 times.