PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2008, 10:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch (Vogue)
Carrier: Telus

Soul_Est is keeping up the good workSoul_Est is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I would like your input on this...

I'm currently working on porting a 21109 XIP and SYS that I found earlier this year. I got the XIP ported and working with the SYS of the original ROM that I had previously flashed onto my phone. The problem I've run into now is getting the ROM with the ported SYS working. I'll start doing extra reseach into this but as I've done so much already on xda-developers as well as here on PPCGeeks, I'm currently near my wit's end. Here's what I've done so far:

Removing uneeded folders (AdobeFlash, AutoUpdate, FWUpdate, etc...) No Boot
Translate all remaining .rgus in folders and replacing .mui files to english No Boot
Use 21109 SYS with edited .VM No Boot
Replace 21109 OEMDrivers with original OEMDrivers No Boot
A few other attempts which also resulted in a a Non booting ROM

I've made sure to G'Reloc everything so that the file in the SYS falls in the correct places but to no avail. WINCENLS_WWE is in the SYS as well

If anyone can help me with this I'd greatly appreciate it.

Various tweaks and programs found on XDA-Developers, PPCGeeks, MoDaCo, and WinMo-Experts forums.

Thank you to all the experts who enlighten us on the ways of enhancing our phones beyond the norm.

Last edited by Soul_Est; 02-27-2009 at 06:12 PM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:12 PM
b00nsquad
Pocket PC: Touch PRO 2
Carrier: Sprint SERO

boggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIP
Re: I would like your input on this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Est View Post
I'm about to start producing a series custom ROMs based off of Sprint's leaked WM6.1 ROM. As to what I'll call them, I currently don't know but I'll think of something (Soul_ROM or SuulROM maybe?). What I'll really need from this community are suggestions on what programs (whether OEM or need conerting to OEM) or regedits to include in these ROMs. I'm currently working on converting Opera Mobile 9.5 Beta into an OEM myself. The ROMs will come in three versions: ULTRA-LITE (completely bare), LITE (most commomn and useful programs included), and COMPLETE (almost every option-box checked). Your help will be most appreciated on this project.

I think an interesting approach would be to create the ROM as a bare, or with a minimum of items and then cook the CABs of the available applications into the ROM and finally, cook Tier Autoinstall into the ROM so that the first time the ROM boots up, the user has the ability to select which CABs they install.

So, the base you select can be customized each and every time it is installed and is only limited by the number of combinations of installable CABs that you build into the base.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:46 AM
The Trend Setter
Pocket PC: Touch Pro ....
Carrier: Me

jakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Est View Post
I'm about to start producing a series custom ROMs based off of Sprint's leaked WM6.1 ROM. As to what I'll call them, I currently don't know but I'll think of something (Soul_ROM or SuulROM maybe?). What I'll really need from this community are suggestions on what programs (whether OEM or need conerting to OEM) or regedits to include in these ROMs. I'm currently working on converting Opera Mobile 9.5 Beta into an OEM myself. The ROMs will come in three versions: ULTRA-LITE (completely bare), LITE (most commomn and useful programs included), and COMPLETE (almost every option-box checked). Your help will be most appreciated on this project.

This project sounds very familiar ........... Hmmmmm
Old 05-18-2008, 05:35 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Temp TP2 until the 3D
Carrier: Sprint

No1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIP
Send a message via MSN to No1ustad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakdillard View Post
haha. i was thinking the same thing

Mogul -> Vogue -> TP -> TP2 -> Snap -> Evo -> 3D
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:39 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggsie View Post
I think an interesting approach would be to create the ROM as a bare, or with a minimum of items and then cook the CABs of the available applications into the ROM and finally, cook Tier Autoinstall into the ROM so that the first time the ROM boots up, the user has the ability to select which CABs they install.

So, the base you select can be customized each and every time it is installed and is only limited by the number of combinations of installable CABs that you build into the base.
Thanks boggsie for that great ideas. It made me think of implementing something you'd normally see in Unix-like operating systems: software repositories. Think pacman for Arch Linux or apt for Debian. I'll definitely look into Tier's AutoInstall and Paul's AppToDate to see what they can do for the user.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakdillard View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by No1ustad View Post
haha. i was thinking the same thing
You're both right. These were just ideas I was throwing out there to gather interest and see how popular they would be. Thanks for the input.

I'm currently working on ironing the bugs out of a ROM I'm building for helping with developing OEMs. I'll release that ROM this week under the codename RL (RegistryLogger). AppToDate and UC are slated for the next version of this ROM. Once I figure out a way to get the two to work together like pacman or apt, users and developers would also have the option of not using their computers for everything except flashing a new bootloader, radio or producing software or ROMS.

Last edited by Soul_Est; 05-18-2008 at 10:38 PM.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:14 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Temp TP2 until the 3D

No1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIP
Send a message via MSN to No1ustad

That sounds like a good idea. Though I prefer to use my computer more, i'm sure that would fill a niche
Old 05-19-2008, 01:37 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: XV6900
Carrier: VZW

soccerman821 is keeping up the good worksoccerman821 is keeping up the good worksoccerman821 is keeping up the good work

It's a really good idea and i'm glad other cookers have done it this way.. but my only thing against it is that i always have to search high and low for all the *.cab's i want to install and once i finally get it all set... like last time something went wrong and i went into a constant reset or the fact that there is a new update every 5 days... i'm not blaming anyone .. simply wondering if there is a better way to do this... maybe have a cab sticky with all the latest cabs or sumthing.. at least it will make the search a lil less tedious.

this might just be me..and i guess im too picky with what is on the full ones.. which is why i have cooked my own lately but i miss a lot of the tweaks and things that the experts here know
Old 05-19-2008, 01:43 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

stealth-twinturbo is just getting started

Whatever you do please make sure that you make reg edits so the touch will run faster, no matter what rom i have i feel like the touch is under powered and laggy, its just not smooth enough for me. I am looking for a stable rom that will run fast and some of the rom's use to much memory and slow the touch down only leavin 56 mb of free ram and under 60 mb of free ram the touch gets really slow to me. Reg edits to make run faster and reg edits to increase internet speeds.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:11 AM
b00nsquad
Pocket PC: Touch PRO 2
Carrier: Sprint SERO

boggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerman821 View Post
It's a really good idea and i'm glad other cookers have done it this way.. but my only thing against it is that i always have to search high and low for all the *.cab's i want to install and once i finally get it all set... like last time something went wrong and i went into a constant reset or the fact that there is a new update every 5 days... i'm not blaming anyone .. simply wondering if there is a better way to do this... maybe have a cab sticky with all the latest cabs or sumthing.. at least it will make the search a lil less tedious.

this might just be me..and i guess im too picky with what is on the full ones.. which is why i have cooked my own lately but i miss a lot of the tweaks and things that the experts here know
There seem to be quite a few people who could do without the entire PPCKitchen. The suggestion I made, would cater to their (individual) needs, in that a ton of CABs would be built into the actual RUU_signed.nbh file and on first boot, Tier Autoinstall would fire up and list all of those CABs. Then, the user could select only the programs that they wanted.

Of course, this isn't my project, but I think the idea has merit, too. Unfortunately, because it would (potentially) contain so many CABs, the RUU_signed.nbh file would be H-U-G-E.

Best regards,
-boggsie
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:13 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerman821 View Post

I do agree with you on the cabs since I ended up with my perfect setup (along with having to install new programs every few days), then I installed Opera Mobile 9.5 Beta (The PIE Killer) and had to hard reset since I didn't know the values under which keys in the registry Opera changed. I hope a lot more software developers and ROM chefs adopt AppToDate as this could potentially cut down on the time needed to search for the cabs. Just grab a master xml file off a webserver edit it to include the programs you want and let AppToDate do the work for you when it comes to downloading and installing programs. I guess a 'COMPLETE' ROM would be like Vista Ultimate and I definitely wouldn't want to have slowing down other users Vogues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth-twinturbo View Post
Whatever you do please make sure that you make reg edits so the touch will run faster, no matter what rom i have i feel like the touch is under powered and laggy, its just not smooth enough for me. I am looking for a stable rom that will run fast and some of the rom's use to much memory and slow the touch down only leavin 56 mb of free ram and under 60 mb of free ram the touch gets really slow to me. Reg edits to make run faster and reg edits to increase internet speeds.
I definitely will stealth-twinturbo. That's why I'm producing the RL ROM first to help me figure out what registry values I need to change under which keys in order to get blazing performance. All I know know is that changes to the OOM values for more memory is a bad idea. But you can expect the pagepool to be 32mb along with tweaks to the filesystem cache and glyphcache and much more can I'm going to list right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggsie View Post
There seem to be quite a few people who could do without the entire PPCKitchen. The suggestion I made, would cater to their (individual) needs, in that a ton of CABs would be built into the actual RUU_signed.nbh file and on first boot, Tier Autoinstall would fire up and list all of those CABs. Then, the user could select only the programs that they wanted.

Of course, this isn't my project, but I think the idea has merit, too. Unfortunately, because it would (potentially) contain so many CABs, the RUU_signed.nbh file would be H-U-G-E.

Best regards,
-boggsie
That is also true which is why I would like to setup some sort of package manager to do the work. If I'm not mistaken AppToDate can do the work of downloading, and installing the programs while WM's own Remove Programs can take care of removing them. All we would need now is a way to download master xml files as well as select which programs should or should not be installed but not have it in a very long list which I believe would be quite traumatizing to certain users. Also if I'm not mistaken Tier's Autoinstall should work with cab fils on the storage card too which would mean a very lean but very customizable OS. If we could have AppTodate or the GPM (Graphical Package Manager) run before (should the master xml file have been OEM'ed) or after the Autoinstall (should you want a custom set of programs to show up due to a custom master xml), then I believe a lot of the problems with finding cabs for installing just after installing the OS could be negated. Or someone could package similarly themed program's cabs into different directories inside of a rar file which can be extracted onto their storage card for Autoinstall to look up and install after the OS installation.

Tell you all the truth, I wasn't expecting the kind of reponse I'm now getting. Thank you all so much for your input. I'll definitely do what I can to make the fastest, stable and above all else most customizable ROMs I possibly can. For now I better finish my homework.

Last edited by Soul_Est; 05-19-2008 at 06:14 PM.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue