PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2008, 12:01 AM
The Trend Setter
Pocket PC: Touch Pro ....
Carrier: Me

jakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Challange to all the rom chefs

Hey whats up you guys I've noticed that everyone is becoming a chef lately ....... No disrespect or anything like ... I just noticed that everyone is basically making a stock rom ? Not to say thats bad but just how creative are you really how much work have you guys really put in these roms outside of searching for pre-made kitchens and oems .... alot of you guys use no2chems kitchen for your roms thats cool but the oem for that rom and kitchen comes from a clean rom that I made months ago ...... My challange is ... Do you guys know how to make your own kitchen ? Do you know what can and can't be stripped out of the rom ..... If a new official rom was released tonight would you guys be able to clean it out yourself or would you have to wait until someone doe's it for you . What I have seen so far is alot of you making rom where the only thing you change different from the next guys rom is the page pool ..... Have any of you guys ever explored other sites to see what people are doing with these roms ... If not I seriously think that you should search other forums and check out the various roms that are out for different phones ..... This is where I get the idea for my roms I work and search and try out different things to get what will make my rom stand out from others..... Like I said not dissing just wondering what you guys can do on your own ..... I've also noticed that alot of the Vogue users are fairly new to the ppc world ......... I WAS NEW ONCE MYSELF AND I HAD TO LEARN ON MY OWN FROM MY OWN EXPERIENCE ..... If it was not for COLONEL DCD DOGGUY SFAURVE NO2CHEM And a ton of others I would not know anything but how to download a kitchen and search the ftp for oems the add them to my pre-made kitchen and wait for my really simple rom that will only work sometimes ...... Like I said don't take this the wrong way
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:37 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint Diamond(Victor)
Carrier: Sprint

360discgolf is keeping up the good work360discgolf is keeping up the good work
Re: Challange to all the rom chefs

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know S#%t...That is why I try to play around with someone elses kitchen and rom so I can learn. I like to open folders and file and research to find out what those specific files do. I have so much to learn that it's not even funny. That's why I jokingly refer to myself as a fry-cook instead of a chef. I can cook some good grub in the kitchen at my house, but that doesn't make me a chef. I can process orders like at McDonalds or read a recipe, but I'm trying! I figure the more I mess around and experiment that eventually I might just know what the hell I'm talking about.

So there's the fry-cook answer to the chef challenge question. To all the other fry cooks out there, don't stop doing what you do. It doesn't matter if you can if you how to clean a rom(yet) or make a kitchen(yet) or if you know what espt does(yet). What matters is that you are trying to learn everyday and that you are passing along what you learn. That's what this forum is all about. Learn and share, learn and share.

"Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game.
In the deed the glory."

Last edited by 360discgolf; 02-27-2008 at 12:52 AM.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:45 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch

dereknjenny04 knows their stuffdereknjenny04 knows their stuffdereknjenny04 knows their stuffdereknjenny04 knows their stuffdereknjenny04 knows their stuffdereknjenny04 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to dereknjenny04

i have had my ppc phone for about two months now, so i am very new.

i am interested in learning more, but have had little luck in finding useful information.

seems like there is not much intermediate information available.

i am a programmer by trade , so i am technically skilled , but don't know what the next thing to learn.

any recommendation on what to look into to progress ?

like my work: donate a buck

Old 02-27-2008, 11:27 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch

dereknjenny04 knows their stuffdereknjenny04 knows their stuffdereknjenny04 knows their stuffdereknjenny04 knows their stuffdereknjenny04 knows their stuffdereknjenny04 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to dereknjenny04

Sorry for the crappy post above, I did it from my phone last night before bed.

I think I can go through an OEM and clean out all the junk.

I am comfortable creating and modifying RGU, PROVXML, and initflashfiles.txt file.

The place that I struggle is with the memory address relocating.

I understand that some files are just files, while others are built as modules and reside in a fixed location in memory.

With packages from different phones, the addresses can overlap, or be non existent. This requires the modification of the address in each module to ensure there is no conflict.

I know there are tools like G'Reloc that are supposed to do this for you, but I would rather understand what this tool is actually doing.

I also don't really understand the whole "XIP Porting" thing. I don't really know what a XIP is, much less how to port one
Old 02-27-2008, 12:08 PM
A Geek For Eons
Pocket PC: Photon, Xoom
Carrier: Sprint/US, Airtel/India, Telus/Canada

willysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on rep

FWIW - a good explanation of XIP and Page Pool

The Page Pool
Applications use RAM in two ways. There is code that runs, and there is data that is created while it is running. On a NOR device, the code can run directly from the ROM and not be loaded into RAM first. This process is called XIP (eXecute In Place). NAND devices can't XIP, so their code is loaded into RAM and executed from there. If you don't have a Page Pool, this code is loaded into normal RAM. The Page Pool is a mechanism to limit how much code is loaded into normal RAM. With a Page Pool, we can unload code that hasn't been used in a while and reload it later if we need to. We can't do that without a Page Pool.

http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmobile/...17/494177.aspx
Old 02-27-2008, 01:40 PM
The Trend Setter
Threadstarter

jakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation level

So there's the fry-cook answer to the chef challenge question. To all the other fry cooks out there, don't stop doing what you do. It doesn't matter if you can if you how to clean a rom(yet) or make a kitchen(yet) or if you know what espt does(yet). What matters is that you are trying to learn everyday and that you are passing along what you learn. That's what this forum is all about. Learn and share, learn and share.[/quote]

This is what I'm talking about ........ When I joined this forum in October of last year which was not very long ago , I did not know anything about customizing a rom ..... However through searching and downloading the tools to create roms I eventually learned how to make my own roms . I was at first making Titan roms based off of Dcd's clean roms and No2chems clean roms then it struck me why am I taking someone else's work and claiming it for myself yeah I would give them credit but I did not do anything but add to what was already there. So I learn how to clean my own rom I learn what I could take out what not to take out how to change the file directories,icons ,make hybrids and whatever ...... the point of this thread is not to start troble but to make aware that you guys have been kinda lazy when it come to doing your own work .... If Dogguy never made the prepit and buildit batch files would any of you guys know what those tools are in the kitchen to break down the rom ..... PROBABLY NOT so why is it that you say so what if you can't do it yet... is that really good enough for you ? Believe me alot of you guys enjoy using others work .... I don't I just got really lazy when 6.1 came out and asked No2chem to port it for us ... or other wise you guys would still be using dharverys thread about how to get 6.1 to the vogue
so what I saying is feel free to bug me I REALLY WANT TO HELP YOU GUYS OUT NO JOKE ...... Lets help each other learn how to build OUR OWN VERSION OF A ROM .... and get away from using other peoples work that they put the time in to create ......
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:45 PM
The Trend Setter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereknjenny04 View Post
Sorry for the crappy post above, I did it from my phone last night before bed.

I think I can go through an OEM and clean out all the junk.

I am comfortable creating and modifying RGU, PROVXML, and initflashfiles.txt file.

The place that I struggle is with the memory address relocating.

I understand that some files are just files, while others are built as modules and reside in a fixed location in memory.

With packages from different phones, the addresses can overlap, or be non existent. This requires the modification of the address in each module to ensure there is no conflict.

I know there are tools like G'Reloc that are supposed to do this for you, but I would rather understand what this tool is actually doing.

I also don't really understand the whole "XIP Porting" thing. I don't really know what a XIP is, much less how to port one
See I like you... you get what I'm saying ..... there are tutorials for all of this on xda-developers start your search there ..... When it comes to using other drivers and parts of other roms from other phones I have found a shortcut for that like my vogue roms have some titan drivers and kaiser parts too
Old 02-27-2008, 01:47 PM
The Trend Setter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by willysp View Post
FWIW - a good explanation of XIP and Page Pool

The Page Pool
Applications use RAM in two ways. There is code that runs, and there is data that is created while it is running. On a NOR device, the code can run directly from the ROM and not be loaded into RAM first. This process is called XIP (eXecute In Place). NAND devices can't XIP, so their code is loaded into RAM and executed from there. If you don't have a Page Pool, this code is loaded into normal RAM. The Page Pool is a mechanism to limit how much code is loaded into normal RAM. With a Page Pool, we can unload code that hasn't been used in a while and reload it later if we need to. We can't do that without a Page Pool.

http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmobile/...17/494177.aspx
Nice See Indiana's on it where the resto of yall at
Old 02-27-2008, 02:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: XV6800 s10onn2o 1.0.0 rom
Carrier: VERIZON

s10onn2o is just getting started

Sweet, Jakdillard this is coming from a fry-cook lol. Trying to turn into a real cook, I have been using all these different tools lately that have really done some crazy s%&* to my ppc. but every one like you have always been able to pull me out, And now in the process of making my own kitchen from a fresh rom (i hope it is anyway i think i got it strip lol ) But most of all just wanted to say Thanks to You and all that has help.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:35 PM
The Trend Setter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s10onn2o View Post
Sweet, Jakdillard this is coming from a fry-cook lol. Trying to turn into a real cook, I have been using all these different tools lately that have really done some crazy s%&* to my ppc. but every one like you have always been able to pull me out, And now in the process of making my own kitchen from a fresh rom (i hope it is anyway i think i got it strip lol ) But most of all just wanted to say Thanks to You and all that has help.
Its all good ..... need some help holler at me
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue