PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2008, 01:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch (Vogue)
Carrier: Telus
Threadstarter

Soul_Est is keeping up the good workSoul_Est is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: I would like your input on this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggsie View Post
I think an interesting approach would be to create the ROM as a bare, or with a minimum of items and then cook the CABs of the available applications into the ROM and finally, cook Tier Autoinstall into the ROM so that the first time the ROM boots up, the user has the ability to select which CABs they install.

So, the base you select can be customized each and every time it is installed and is only limited by the number of combinations of installable CABs that you build into the base.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth-twinturbo View Post
Whatever you do please make sure that you make reg edits so the touch will run faster, no matter what rom i have i feel like the touch is under powered and laggy, its just not smooth enough for me. I am looking for a stable rom that will run fast and some of the rom's use to much memory and slow the touch down only leavin 56 mb of free ram and under 60 mb of free ram the touch gets really slow to me. Reg edits to make run faster and reg edits to increase internet speeds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Est View Post
No problem at all. Giving your input on what you'd like to see included in the ROM is what this thread is about right? I'll try and look for it although I'm not sure what versions I'll find.

The RL (RegLogger) ROM will be finished by this weekend and I should have an OEM of Opera Mobile 9.5 Beta finished not long after. I'll send PMs to those who replied to my thread with a link to download the a 'test' ROM. This ROM will be based either on no2chem's kitchen-ifyied 3.04 (Alltel) ROM or the leaked Sprint 3.02 ROM. After I get the responses from you all on what works and what doesn't, I'll begin my work on porting a Kaiser, Polaris or Diamond SYS to a stock Alltel and cleaning it all out as much as I possibly can including removing Outlook, PIE, and settings like Owner Information (which I find to be kind of a security threat so I never used it) and editing the registry to suit. I'm doing this not because it seems cool. I've been inspired to put more work into my ROM due to these to threads here and here. If anyone thinks removing these would be impossible, let me know. That all said, I'm now looking at my touch running my test RL ROM and QuickMenu is showing me that I have 82mb of memory free. I believe you're all in for a nice treat.

One more thing: I did not put this thread out there to gather arguments, it is meant only to gather ideas from those interested in a different ROM. No bickering please.
I'll be eventually be making the ROMs THAT bare...

Various tweaks and programs found on XDA-Developers, PPCGeeks, MoDaCo, and WinMo-Experts forums.

Thank you to all the experts who enlighten us on the ways of enhancing our phones beyond the norm.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:36 PM
b00nsquad
Pocket PC: Touch PRO 2
Carrier: Sprint SERO

boggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIP

Outlook, PIE, etc. can go for the sake of building a bare-boned baseline, but I know I will need, at least an Outlook CAB, so that I can use the device for email. 82 mb of free memory sounds interesting, but can you qualify that by restating your pagapool size? Thank you for the update. Best regards, -boggsie
Old 05-25-2008, 07:37 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Sure thing boggsie. It's 32mb.

-Best regards,
Soul_Est
Old 05-25-2008, 08:35 AM
b00nsquad

boggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIP

Quote:
Sure thing boggsie. It's 32mb.

-Best regards,
Soul_Est
So that works out to around 106mb free, with the standard 12mb pagepool ... is my math correct?

That's not to imply that this rom would be better with 12mb as opposed to 32mb, just trying to compare, as much as possible, apples to apples.

Best regards,
-boggsie
Old 05-25-2008, 06:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Actually boggsie, I got over 168MB free space on a clean kitchen-ifyied ROM with a 12MB pagepool. Or was it 32MB? Can't wait for summer... (need more time to do my homework and work on this ROM)

-Best regards,
Soul_Est
Old 05-26-2008, 01:15 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

stealth-twinturbo is just getting started

any new work on the rom do you have any up for testing ?? lol thanks looking forward to it
Old 05-28-2008, 06:55 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth-twinturbo View Post
any new work on the rom do you have any up for testing ?? lol thanks looking forward to it
I'm still working on it. I'll have to modify no2chem's Advanced Settings package since there are most if not all the registry edits I would have included in the bare ROMs included in that very same package. I should have one up by tomorrow. You'll all see a new thread then asking for your opinions on how the ROM and its features worked (or not) and how to improve upon them. I'm also considering putting together my own theme for the ROMs as well as repositories for AppToDate to pull cabs from. Also, school is quite the interruption, but I'll try my best to finish these ROMs.

Last edited by Soul_Est; 05-28-2008 at 07:06 AM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:36 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Alright everyone, the moment of truth is almost here: a beta 'mule' ROM for testing the features of the new ROMs will be released later today. It'll take me some time to perfect a bare ROM but I'll continue to release new ROMs as they're finished. Please note that nuePackageInstaller may not work for you if you have .netCF 3.5 installed and have not configured the program to run on it (more on that later). Currently, I have yet to setup a repository for cabs, although I have set one up for newer ROMs at rack111.com. I hope this can tide you all over until I can really devote some time to these projects (about one month away).
Old 05-29-2008, 08:52 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I apologize for I did not foresee this annoying problem. As I posted this morning before I went to bed, I decided to go with Rack.111 as my webhost. This was due to the fact that they offered 25GB of storage and 250GB of data transfer. As it turned out I can't upload anything larger than 15MB. I then signed up with Zymic after reading in the forums that they supported zip files and then found out afterward that I can't upload anything larger than 25MB (and improvement to be sure). So now I have two 'free' webhosts, and a big need for hosting my files. One option I have is hosting the repository on the webspace my friend has. With a total of 1.6TB of available space and unlimited data transfer per month, its to quote him directly, "overkill". Another option is to go with a file hosting site or sign up for a online storage solution such as ADrive and 'publish' the ROMs and have a nueUpdate config.xml setup on one of the two webhosts along with a website in front in order to cover up my intentions. I'd like to see your thoughts on this.

-Best regards,
Soul_Est

Last edited by Soul_Est; 05-29-2008 at 10:29 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:06 PM
b00nsquad

Quote:
I apologize for I did not foresee this annoying problem. As I posted this morning before I went to bed, I decided to go with Rack.111 as my webhost. This was due to the fact that they offered 25GB of storage and 250GB of data transfer. As it turned out I can't upload anything larger than 15MB. I then signed up with Zymic after reading in the forums that they supported zip files and then found out afterward that I can't upload anything larger than 25MB (and improvement to be sure). So now I have two 'free' webhosts, and a big need for hosting my files. One option I have is hosting the repository on the webspace my friend has. With a total of 1.6TB of available space and unlimited data transfer per month, its to quote him directly, "overkill". Another option is to go with a file hosting site or sign up for a online storage solution such as ADrive and 'publish' the ROMs and have a nueUpdate config.xml setup on one of the two webhosts along with a website in front in order to cover up my intentions. I'd like to see your thoughts on this.
I'm fairly certain that you could setup your own folder on the FTP site here at PPCGeeks and then use their storage and bandwidth to host and serve the files.

Under QLINKS, select FTP Deletes/Folders and then navigate to Vogue - Users and create your folder right there.

Best regards,
-boggsie
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue