PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2008, 09:49 AM
SuperNoob
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: I would like your input on this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Est View Post
That could be a problem since TierAutoinstall has already been OEM'd although I'd like to hear more on this idea of yours. Please elaborate.
You'll have to be very specific on how to do this. You could:

1. Have users download a compressed kitchen with a clean build. Add their cab files to "empty OEM" I have attached. Copy to ..\kitchen\oem (so it gets cooked into the kitchen) Have them run BuildOs.exe, then BuildIt.bat, then flash

2. Have users add their cab files to an "empty oem", copy to the ppckitchen USER_OEM. Then they must select TierAutoInstall and the "User_TierAutoInstall_Cabs" then build their rom.

This was users can take a clean rom, have their cabs they want, all with minimal size. Each cab would be uninstallable, they could run TAutoInstall.exe anytime to test, etc... I could easily help with the either option. The user would have to be told not to mess with anything else or be properly schooled briefly...
Attached Files
File Type: zip User_TierAutoInstall_Cabs.zip (1.1 KB, 5 views) Click for barcode!

This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch (Vogue)
Carrier: Telus
Threadstarter

Soul_Est is keeping up the good workSoul_Est is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstoyguy View Post
You'll have to be very specific on how to do this. You could:

1. Have users download a compressed kitchen with a clean build. Add their cab files to "empty OEM" I have attached. Copy to ..\kitchen\oem (so it gets cooked into the kitchen) Have them run BuildOs.exe, then BuildIt.bat, then flash

2. Have users add their cab files to an "empty oem", copy to the ppckitchen USER_OEM. Then they must select TierAutoInstall and the "User_TierAutoInstall_Cabs" then build their rom.

This was users can take a clean rom, have their cabs they want, all with minimal size. Each cab would be uninstallable, they could run TAutoInstall.exe anytime to test, etc... I could easily help with the either option. The user would have to be told not to mess with anything else or be properly schooled briefly...
You've made a very good point and I must say that both implementations of having the cabs cooked into the ROM are very well thought out. I also took a look at the file you attached and I like both the options you presented to tell you the truth. I would like your help in building option 2 as I'll still be working on the original idea of having the ROM be unlinked to the desktop in anyway should the user not be near one and would would like to install their favourite program without using any browser or computer.

Thing is I wanted to find a way for the phone to be self sufficient should the user not have their computer around but still not have a large OS with all their cabs sitting on the phone but taking up the space needed for other things they may need to store there. I was hoping to stick with to 'The Arch Way' when putting this first barebone ROM together. Option 2 will definitely come handy for a separate version I'll be building. One version will depend soley on the user for the extra programs and drivers they want should they want the newest version, hence the repository idea. Another version will have slightly older packages contained in the ROM.

I'll have to test this for myself but hopefully the OEM containing user specific cabs can be deleted when the user no longer requires them. If you've got the results of such a test please reply as I believe a few others would like to know that it can be done.

Various tweaks and programs found on XDA-Developers, PPCGeeks, MoDaCo, and WinMo-Experts forums.

Thank you to all the experts who enlighten us on the ways of enhancing our phones beyond the norm.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:42 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

bedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I haven't followed this thread from the beginning and I may be overlooking some comments, so apologies in advance.

The dedicated ROM space is never user-accessible after the flash though. You can load as many files as you can fit into the ROM without affecting available storage space to the end user of the ROM (as long as they are stored in /windows I believe). Not sure what the limit is, but from personal experience I'd guess somewhere a little over 100MB on the Titan and Vogue. I've had nbh's that were around that level. I've built a few that were too large and I had to remove the Skype OEM I created (that one alone was like 6-7MB!).
Old 05-22-2008, 01:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedoig View Post
I haven't followed this thread from the beginning and I may be overlooking some comments, so apologies in advance.

The dedicated ROM space is never user-accessible after the flash though. You can load as many files as you can fit into the ROM without affecting available storage space to the end user of the ROM (as long as they are stored in /windows I believe). Not sure what the limit is, but from personal experience I'd guess somewhere a little over 100MB on the Titan and Vogue. I've had nbh's that were around that level. I've built a few that were too large and I had to remove the Skype OEM I created (that one alone was like 6-7MB!).
Thanks for the quick reply on this latest development. I now know just how large the USER_OEM can be made before the available space is used up. This will help a lot. Thanks again.

-Best regards,
Soul_Est
Old 05-22-2008, 01:39 PM
SuperNoob

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Est View Post
Thanks for the quick reply on this latest development. I now know just how large the USER_OEM can be made before the available space is used up. This will help a lot. Thanks again.

-Best regards,
Soul_Est
Remember too, that when an oem is cooked into a rom, it is uncompressed and (close to) EVERYTHING from the OEM's resides in the \windows directory. At least a cab is compressed, and while it too will reside permanently in \windows, the user will have no problem unistalling the program, adding skins, etc. And because they are .cabs, they may actually save space as long as they don't want every .cab out there in their rom....Depending on their cabs added, it should be about the same size, and definately not as cluttered.
I was also playing with tierautoinstall briefly before I came into work, it will find cabs in the root directory of \windows and \storage card. So if a user didn't mind a cluttered \storage card, you would not have to cook them into the rom. So, if you provide a clean fast rom, users can still customize by placing their cabs on their storagecard and using tierautoinstall as long as it is cooked into the clean rom.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:50 PM
b00nsquad
Pocket PC: Touch PRO 2
Carrier: Sprint SERO

boggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIP

fyi: TierAutoinstall will find all cab files:

a) referenced in the config.txt as well as cabs found in
b) \Windows,
c) \Storage Card\Boot,
d) \Storage Card,
e) \Extended_ROM, and
d) \Extended_ROM2

I only mention this, because a cluttered "\Storage Card" isn't really as much of a concern, because you can put them into the "\Storage Card\Boot" path, too.

Best regards,
-boggsie
Old 05-22-2008, 02:05 PM
SuperNoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggsie View Post
fyi: TierAutoinstall will find all cab files:

a) referenced in the config.txt as well as cabs found in
b) \Windows,
c) \Storage Card\Boot,
d) \Storage Card,
e) \Extended_ROM, and
d) \Extended_ROM2

I only mention this, because a cluttered "\Storage Card" isn't really as much of a concern, because you can put them into the "\Storage Card\Boot" path, too.

Best regards,
-boggsie
Thanks, I never could find that config.txt this morning. But that looks like the answer right there. I use UserCustomization and all my cabs are in \storage card\cabs\newload so it would work the same. I've never used or seen tierautoinstall until this morning. Thanks again!
Old 05-22-2008, 04:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

=D> You all are amazing. I would never have continued this project if it weren't for you and all the ideas you all put forth.

I just finished testing out the newest build of the RL (no2chem 19209 based), and I believe I found a way of not only updating the programs on our Vogues but the OS as well. I checked almost every program in the nueTools range and thus far, three programs really stand as the standard for this 'Developer's ROM': 1) nuePackageDiagnostics (look deep into every OEM package installed in the OS), 2) nuePackageInstaller (install OEM packages directly from inside zipped OEMs), and 3) nueUpdate (like AppToDate but for updating the phone's ROM). I'll need to build one last ROM with all the registry settings and needed programs. Then I can play around with AppToDate, and nueUpdate and figure out a way to get all four to work in perfect harmony. I can't wait for summer...

-Best regards,
Soul_Est

Last edited by Soul_Est; 05-22-2008 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:39 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch HD (Blackstone)
Carrier: T-Mobile US

jim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuff

wow this is definitely looking exciting...cant wait for the test rom!

sorry i dont have a lot to contribute.../any :S

Don't forget to donate or say thanks!

Flashing How To for Vogue

Super cheap phones: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=39267

HD or iPhone http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=44839

Android on Vogue (by dzo): http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=23244
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:07 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I've got good news and bad news:
Good news: I've gotten USB Mass storage to work via WM5torage. OEMs of Opera Mobile 9.5 Builds 331, 405 and 781 will be ready for next week.
Bad news: I'll have to wait until next weekend to release the RL to the community.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue