PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2009, 02:53 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

ParaSURFore is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Sprint replacing Touch Pro with Touch Pro 2!

When the TP2s do come back in stock, someone let this thread know

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2009, 03:31 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Back with Sprint!

Avareyne is just getting started

Anyone trying to do an advanced exchange is now going to face Sprint telling them that the Touch Pro 2 is not available as an exchange for the Touch Pro.

Sprint has been trying to tell me this all day. Luckily they allowed me to forward my chat transcript and others have looked it up but they still are trying to figure it out. If someone offers you this phone be sure to get it in writing and prepare for a battle. I have been dealing with this for 3 hours now.

I really just think I am going to get the Droid and switch carriers. The cheapness of my monthly plan and the overage relief isn't feeling like quite enough anymore.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:39 PM
Lurker

charbroil is a n00b
Thumbs up Re: Sprint replacing Touch Pro with Touch Pro 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gostars9 View Post
I had the same issue with a repair center. They claimed my cracked chrome was physical damage and they couldn't help me. They said I had to file a claim with assurion and pay the $100 deductible. Instead of doing that I filed an advanced exchange on sprints website. (If you enter zipcode 95932) it will allow you to place an order instead of directing you to take your phone into the closest repair center). I was sent a refurbished (but in really good shape) touch pro free of charge. It's no TP2 but better than having a beat up touch pro IMO.

Dude!! Thank you! This saved me $$.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

roopull is becoming a great contributor

Went through the online chat customer service, regular phone customer service, and then technical customer service to see if I could get THEM to figure out the GPS issue. None could. I was offered a TP1 by technical customer service and the online TEP replacement form offered me a TP1, as well.

The original theory for them offering the TP2 was that they weren't making the TP1, anymore, and the TP2 was the default Sprint replacement for it. It would seem to me that first, the TP1 is still available and second, the TP2 is NOT the default replacement. The default replacement is the TP1 (refurbed) or "any Blackberry, Treo 850 or HTC Dash" per the local service center.

In time, though, the TP1 will disappear because they're not making them anymore (that's the same thing that happened with the Apache & Mogul.) Then, I suppose, the TP2 will become the default replacement... it seems we're at that tipping point, now. I'll check back in a few weeks.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPC
Carrier: Provider

sfhub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsfhub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsfhub is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by roopull View Post
I work for UPS as a "swing driver," which means I'm rarely in the same area. While I rely on old fashion maps 99% of the time, the 1% of the time I need GPS, I NEED GPS.

My GPS quit working last Thursday.

I went to my local ASC & was given the choice of "Any Blackberry you want," a Treo 850 or the HTC Snap. All of them have the BB form with the keyboard in the front, so I didn't want any of them. I asked if there was any other option & he said the TP2 will be an option at some point in the future, but as of right now, none are available... he's thinking it's just a back order situation.

Patience?

I also asked if there was an Android option, to which he said no. I'm going to try a hard reset to see if that resolves things, but hate having to set my phone back up the way I like it.
Your GPS isn't broken. There is a workaround, just replace the Radio on your phone:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...85#post1290785
Quote:
To summarize:
Many people are having problems with their GPS since 10/28/09.

Some symptoms of the problem include the phone crashing and rebooting, the GPS getting lock momentarily then losing it, phone freezing up, no data coming from the GPS COM port, and no GPS device available.

This has been seen across carriers (Verizon, Sprint, USCC, Bell Canada, etc.)
This has been seen across different models and manufacturers (HTC Touch Pro, HTC Touch Diamond, Palm Treo Pro)

Cause
The problem has been partially narrowed down to the data downloaded by the "QuickGPS" app which downloads from the Internet a package of data which helps the GPS obtain a lock faster.

From around 10/28/09 and afterwards the data downloaded by QuickGPS seems to be causing or interacting with the radio causing the symptoms above. Some people theorize this might have something to do with DST but this has not been conclusively verified.

Workarounds:
1) If you are using *Touch Pro*, use the latest Sprint Touch Pro Radio, v1.12.34F (Not sure if the radio would work on Touch Diamond and very likely would brick Palm Treo Pro) This can be downloaded here:

Thread: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=74422
Direct: http://dcd1182.n715dp.com/index.php?dir=Touch+Pro%2Fradios%2F&download=Touch +Pro+CDMA+Radio+1.12.34F.exe

This is a self-contained installer which will update your Radio over the USB cable. If you have an unlocked phone and want to update your Radio via SD card method you can open up the .exe in 7-zip and extract RAPHIMG.nbh and update as you would any ROM update.

2) Use an earlier copy of the QuickGPS data set which doesn't exhibit the problem

Thread: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=1278260#post1278260
Direct: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=46633&d=1256910087

psiphi was nice enough to post an earlier copy of the QuickGPS data set which doesn't exhibit the GPS problem. This is the xtra.bin file for QuickGPS 1.0 installations. Newer versions of QuickGPS use "packedEphemeris.ee". That might be just a renaming of xtra.bin or could be a different file format.
To use this workaround

a) start QuickGPS and disable automatic downloads
b) extract the xtra.bin from the above .zip
c) update the date on xtra.bin to today's date using your favorite file manager or equivalent technique
if you don't have one, you can use your PC and filetouch.exe for DOS available here: http://www.softtreetech.com/24x7/archive/47.htm
d) copy the date-modified xtra.bin to your phone, replacing the *two* existing files, \windows\xtra.bin and \temp\xtra.bin
e) reboot your phone

3) If you have a Sprint Touch Pro and don't mind reinstalling everything, you can install the updated Sprint 2.01.651.6 ROM.

This will automatically update your Radio to 1.12.34F. Please note, this will install an updated OS/ROM as well so you will need to reinstall your apps.

This ROM update is available on the HTC site here:
http://www.htc.com/us/SupportDownload.aspx?p_id=195&cat=2&dl_id=683
Old 11-02-2009, 06:52 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

mixster is a n00b

i like everyone else here have tried and tried to get my hands on a tp2. i have a good friend that is the store manager for my local repair center and sat with him today to find out the scoop. the word is that the tp2 is no longer on the replacement list due to low stock on hand because of the leaked upgrade list. he said that the soonest the tp2 will be available will be late jan to early feb. there are very few nib tp1's available left but TONS of refurbs. so to those of you that got a tp2 then thats awesome, the rest of us get to wait or just buy one. another thought is to switch to att and buy the tilt2, just a thought. maybe next time we shouldnt get cheap and abuse the privelage. i have my 5th tp1 showing up wed. hope this one works till feb at least.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:14 PM
HTC = TAIWAN! =)
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2

twe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on rep

the sprint rep said that my phone is good for replacement, but for the same tp1. for those of you replacing your phone with either tp1 or tp2, are you guys flashing back to stock rom and locking or just leaving as is?

Sprint Fair and Flex 500mins - unlimited; text, data, N&W@6pm (perks) - Sprint Pick 3, Unl Incoming Mins
ROMS: Vin. Pluto. (M2.5), Mighty (M2.5), Energy (M2.5)
Old 11-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

cmgj is keeping up the good workcmgj is keeping up the good work

Always lock and then flash a signed Sprint ROM...

If I Helped you, Press Thanks!-------------|
Old 11-02-2009, 07:17 PM
Lurker

Audiogalaxy007 is a n00b

I am also playing the waiting game. The USB port went bad on my TP, so it wont charge or sync. I got rid of the insurance when they hiked the deductible, but luckily my phone is still under warranty. My repair center agreed to try to get me the TP2, but it is OOS. I will call my them daily just to see if the TP2 is in stock. I have a second line on my account I rarely use, so I will use that for now. I am hoping that they will eventually get tired of me and just order me a NIB one (wishful thinking).
Old 11-02-2009, 07:39 PM
HTC = TAIWAN! =)
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2

twe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on reptwe90kid is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgj View Post
Always lock and then flash a signed Sprint ROM...
so what happens if you don't?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro