PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: 6.1 Vs 6.5 Vs 7
I tried 6.5 and keep going back to 6.1 110 17.97%
I tried 6.5 and am Never going back to 6.1 276 45.10%
I tried 6.5 and back to 6.1... I'll wait for 7... 104 16.99%
Never bothered trying 6.5 122 19.93%
Voters: 612. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2009, 11:13 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch WM6.5
Carrier: Sprint

acontrasto is keeping up the good workacontrasto is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to acontrasto
Re: Windows Mobile 6.1 / 6.5 / 7 ::UPDATE::

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-slim View Post
i agree with you to an extent but i do believe the poll is pretty accurate. I definitely see why you came to that conclusion but to be honest it would only make 6.5 higher because most non ppcgeek members haven't even tried 6.5, so almost 98% of them would fall into the category of haven't tried 6.5 which to me isn't really a category. Lets be honest, if you're not on ppcgeeks or xda then you don't have 6.5 and have never tried it. So the poll may not be accurate to the number of users using 6.1 in total, but i do believe it to be a fair poll of how well 6.5 works ( which you have to have tried it to know how it works)
Well, it also depends on your view of what hypothesis the poll is trying to prove. If you read the OP's first post, you'll read that he wants to "see what the general public would say." PPCGeeks is clearly not an accurate sample of the "general public" in statistical measurements. I'm going to go ahead and make the assumption that the OP was referring to the general public of people who have WM phones, because otherwise, there would be no way for them to try 6.5. In that case, the general public, including those who have never tried 6.5 but still have WM phones, would be vital data to include in this survey. If they have never tried 6.5, that would not lead to the hypothesis that 6.1 is better, but it would lead to the hypothesis that 6.1 is more popular based on the number of people who use it.

It's impossible for non-ppcgeeks members to vote, so the method of distributing the survey is flawed. All things considered the survey is not very accurate in describing who of the "general public" use 6.1 vs. 6.5 vs. 7 (an os not even developed yet).
Old 05-19-2009, 11:24 AM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

Quote:
Originally Posted by acontrasto View Post
Well, it also depends on your view of what hypothesis the poll is trying to prove. If you read the OP's first post, you'll read that he wants to "see what the general public would say." PPCGeeks is clearly not an accurate sample of the "general public" in statistical measurements. I'm going to go ahead and make the assumption that the OP was referring to the general public of people who have WM phones, because otherwise, there would be no way for them to try 6.5. In that case, the general public, including those who have never tried 6.5 but still have WM phones, would be vital data to include in this survey. If they have never tried 6.5, that would not lead to the hypothesis that 6.1 is better, but it would lead to the hypothesis that 6.1 is more popular based on the number of people who use it.

It's impossible for non-ppcgeeks members to vote, so the method of distributing the survey is flawed. All things considered the survey is not very accurate in describing who of the "general public" use 6.1 vs. 6.5 vs. 7 (an os not even developed yet).
I agree with you, I believe we are saying the samething just differently. You are 100% right, there is no way to get an accurate poll for this because lets face it MOST people who have htc's don'tdo rom updates, just those that visit this website. So obviously 6.1 is still more popular. Also 6.5 hasn't been released to any manufactuer or if they have, then the manufacturer still hasn't developed one yet, so we are still playing with beta versions. For instance the new voice command feature isn't in any of the beta programs so nobody on here has even tested that feature yet. My point is of course 6.1 is more popular, you are correct with what the op said, but i don't think a thread needed to be created to find that out, its obvious. what would've made more sense would be to ask of the people using 6.5 on a capable device, how many feel the features, stability, and ease of use are worth the upgrade?
Old 05-19-2009, 05:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
I agree with you, I believe we are saying the samething just differently. You are 100% right, there is no way to get an accurate poll for this because lets face it MOST people who have htc's don'tdo rom updates, just those that visit this website. So obviously 6.1 is still more popular. Also 6.5 hasn't been released to any manufactuer or if they have, then the manufacturer still hasn't developed one yet, so we are still playing with beta versions. For instance the new voice command feature isn't in any of the beta programs so nobody on here has even tested that feature yet. My point is of course 6.1 is more popular, you are correct with what the op said, but i don't think a thread needed to be created to find that out, its obvious. what would've made more sense would be to ask of the people using 6.5 on a capable device, how many feel the features, stability, and ease of use are worth the upgrade?
Now that is something I can agree with. Since 6.5 has been available I've been curious about it, but not enough to try it. The reason being, because it's not a final release yet and I really hate having to install all of my programs after multiple hard resets. Also it's not clear that 6.5 performs better and more efficiently, though it does have a nicer looking interface. The problem with that last statement is that interface design is purely qualitative and preferential, while the issue with efficiency and speed are quantitative and factual and it's hard to compare those two types of data. It ultimately comes down to how much weight is given to each type and that will differ from person to person. As for me, I rely on my phone to be quick and efficient when I need it, and that's why I'll most likely wait for 6.5 to be released or wait until I upgrade to a new phone and 6.5 (or 7) is included on that phone.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
you have the enhanced finger menus, if you're running 6.01 you can get your screen to be finger friendly by running tf3d or spb pocket shell, but you won't have enhanced menu options, so when you select menu in any screen you better be ready to use your stylus.
This is not entirely true. It has been brought up at PPCGeeks in the past (beginning of april) that wm 6.1 menus can be upgraded using fingersuite. With the new menus found in fingersuite, I have exponentially increased the usability of the wm 6.1 os. Before I found out about fingersuite, I have to admit that menus were hideous and absurdly small and inefficient to use.

Here's a direct link to a picture of the fingersuite menu.

I'll also provide the link to the thread at xda where the app was developed.

EDIT: I haven't seen the menu style of 6.5, can someone please post a picture of a menu?

Last edited by acontrasto; 05-19-2009 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:53 PM
Bay Area Boss

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by acontrasto View Post
This is not entirely true. It has been brought up at PPCGeeks in the past (beginning of april) that wm 6.1 menus can be upgraded using fingersuite. With the new menus found in fingersuite, I have exponentially increased the usability of the wm 6.1 os. Before I found out about fingersuite, I have to admit that menus were hideous and absurdly small and inefficient to use.

Here's a direct link to a picture of the fingersuite menu.

I'll also provide the link to the thread at xda where the app was developed.
I have used fingersuite but its not as friendly as the rhodium menu enhancements. being as the copper rom was my favorite 6.5 rom the only problem i had with it was i had to use fingersuite and there wasn't a way to update that rom to the menu enhancements. its a great alternative but the regular menu enhancements are alot better.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:09 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo 4G LTE

Da Uniq 1 is keeping up the good workDa Uniq 1 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to Da Uniq 1 Send a message via MSN to Da Uniq 1 Send a message via Yahoo to Da Uniq 1

I've never flashed a Rom before in my life. Never really needed to. Have had the Audiovox 6600 & 6700. Have had the Mogul, Diamond and Pro. I've even had the Hitachi G1000 lol.

I've finally flashed to Copper and now MightyRom5. I will never ever go back to 6.1 unless I happen to get a phone that no coocked 6.5 roms will work on lol.

My GF and I both have TP's thru Sprint. She is running the 6.1 stock rom. Whenever she has a problem with her phone, she always comes to me to fix it.

Now that I'm on MR5, I absolutely hate navigating thru her phone now. And I ususally know the menu's like the back of my hand on 6.1 lol
Old 05-26-2009, 03:43 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

tslceo is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to tslceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jucytec View Post
I tried just about every 6.5 builds and I gotta say i'm not too fond of it... I wanna see what the general public would say...

IF you do like 6.5 which Phone do you have?

UPDATE: Out of 325 people who voted...

147 is on Windows Mobile 6.5 and staying
178 in total are staying with or going back to 6.1

In other words:

54.77 % for Windows Mobile 6.1
45.23 % for Windows Mobile 6.5

On a side note... most Verizon users also stayed with 6.1 tho some did settle for 6.5
I'll add my two cents... I have a STOCK flash of WM6.5 beta on my phone, not a rom cooked by anyone and personally I love it, find it much more functional than 6.1. Personally, I have my issues with it but I have less issues with it than I did with 6.1. Just like on 6.1 I have had to find all the programs that I need to make it "functional for my use" but I love it alot more than 6.1. Oh and I just the Touch Pro w/ Sprint. I was never into the whole voice dial so I can't say I miss it. I like that the phone is peppier, dialing is more responsive, the phone doesn't crash no where near as much as it did with 6.1 and I like that applications are more responsive and how the interface allows you to access photos and music more readily and plays faster. Oh and most of all, I like lock screen with its notification and dial/ignore sliders for incoming calls while it is locked.

P.S. My signature below speedtest is based on that 6.5 plugged into my laptop and testing Sprint's speed. I've noticed that the 6.5 is a tad faster and more responsive when I use it as a tethered modem than 6.1 was. Just my two cents..

Last edited by tslceo; 05-26-2009 at 03:56 AM.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TPro2

Briz600 is becoming a great contributor

6.5 has been great for me once I tweaked it a bunch. Since my first smartphone running WM2003 Windows Mobile has been getting better each version. Everytime I was able to upgrade I never looked back.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:18 PM
Bay Area Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by tslceo View Post
I'll add my two cents... I have a STOCK flash of WM6.5 beta on my phone, not a rom cooked by anyone and personally I love it, find it much more functional than 6.1. Personally, I have my issues with it but I have less issues with it than I did with 6.1. Just like on 6.1 I have had to find all the programs that I need to make it "functional for my use" but I love it alot more than 6.1. Oh and I just the Touch Pro w/ Sprint. I was never into the whole voice dial so I can't say I miss it. I like that the phone is peppier, dialing is more responsive, the phone doesn't crash no where near as much as it did with 6.1 and I like that applications are more responsive and how the interface allows you to access photos and music more readily and plays faster. Oh and most of all, I like lock screen with its notification and dial/ignore sliders for incoming calls while it is locked.

P.S. My signature below speedtest is based on that 6.5 plugged into my laptop and testing Sprint's speed. I've noticed that the 6.5 is a tad faster and more responsive when I use it as a tethered modem than 6.1 was. Just my two cents..
you said you were using a stock 6.5 rom not cooked by anyone, where can i find that stock rom?
Old 05-26-2009, 11:14 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro (VZW)
Carrier: Verizon

Asphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
the winmo users have to use theirs all the time, which is the reason of this conversation.
I hardly ever have to use my stylus. And when I do it is because the program I'm using isn't finger friendly not my OS...

Quote:
I've said it a million times, this os is not revolutionary in the least, so its not going to be leaps in bounds upgrades, if that was the case you would still be running 6.0 because 6.1 didn't do anything different then 6.0 really. So as stated earlier the only upgrades are the kinetic scrolling throught out the whole os ( which is a biggie), you have the enhanced finger menus, if you're running 6.01 you can get your screen to be finger friendly by running tf3d or spb pocket shell, but you won't have enhanced menu options, so when you select menu in any screen you better be ready to use your stylus.
Hmmmm I guess you never bothered to install or heard of Rhodium Menu enhancements. Jst about everything on my 6.1 is finger friendly.

Quote:
Also i believe now that winmo 6.5 crashes less then 6.1 with tf3d. Then not to mention it looks much nicer then 6.1. Maybe with your device your so worried about managing ram, but with my sprint tp its not a problem. I decided to keep the program cause its nice to have, but not a must on a sprint tp.
My 6.1 maybe crashes once a month and only when I have really run a lot of stuff at once (like managing my servers or browsed a ton o graphic intensive websites using opera. How many crashes do you have a day/week? Is it less than once a month?

So far all you have cited as better is kinetic scrolling and it looks nice!
Which if you read my challenge means you managed to find ONE thing that might rally b better and tried to imply that it was more stable by saying it crashed less! Well I( have run 6.5 and so have meny others...
we all know that is not true!

And sidestepping the ram management by sayig it doesn't matter because you have sprint is a pretty weak argument don't you think?
if it doesn't fix one of the BIGGEST issues yet to be resolved by MS in it's WinMo system then it's just 6.1 with a prett start menu and not the future you propose it t be!

Your just trading stability for kinetic scrolling!
I'm sure you scroll to a crash much faster than anyone else though! LOL

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro