PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: 6.1 Vs 6.5 Vs 7
I tried 6.5 and keep going back to 6.1 110 17.97%
I tried 6.5 and am Never going back to 6.1 276 45.10%
I tried 6.5 and back to 6.1... I'll wait for 7... 104 16.99%
Never bothered trying 6.5 122 19.93%
Voters: 612. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2009, 03:23 PM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim
Re: Windows Mobile 6.1 / 6.5 / 7 ::UPDATE::

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphyx View Post
Did you try HTC Addicts Clean Ram yet?
I had to hit your thanks button, but only to say thanks for the program, i will be keeping it. This will probably save me 2 resets a week.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:08 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch WM6.5
Carrier: Sprint

acontrasto is keeping up the good workacontrasto is keeping up the good work
Send a message via Skype™ to acontrasto

Wowzers! why does everyone have to argue which OS is better? It's obvious that 6.5 is going to have it's flaws since it isn't officially released yet. From a statistical standpoint this poll is not an accurate sample of the entire population who use WM phones. Not every WM user is a PPCGeeks member, and the people who are members are here for a reason... to stay on top of the game, so obviously the results of the poll are going to be skewed toward 6.5.

I haven't tried 6.5 yet because of the fact it isn't a stable supported release yet (if such a thing exists). I would like to say I'll wait for wm7, but I doubt I can wait that long. I'd like to see better hardware improvements to compliment the development of the OS. Sure, 6.5 has lots of graphical improvements, but we're talking about our same old phones here that have to be able to handle that hit on memory and processing power. So, in the mean time, I'll stick with 6.1 since I know my phone can handle that well, and when I upgrade my phone within the next couple years, viola I'll have 6.5 to mess with. I want multi-touch hardware and OS support; take note HTC & Microsoft!
Old 05-16-2009, 07:21 PM
Bay Area Boss

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by acontrasto View Post
Wowzers! why does everyone have to argue which OS is better? It's obvious that 6.5 is going to have it's flaws since it isn't officially released yet. From a statistical standpoint this poll is not an accurate sample of the entire population who use WM phones. Not every WM user is a PPCGeeks member, and the people who are members are here for a reason... to stay on top of the game, so obviously the results of the poll are going to be skewed toward 6.5.

I haven't tried 6.5 yet because of the fact it isn't a stable supported release yet (if such a thing exists). I would like to say I'll wait for wm7, but I doubt I can wait that long. I'd like to see better hardware improvements to compliment the development of the OS. Sure, 6.5 has lots of graphical improvements, but we're talking about our same old phones here that have to be able to handle that hit on memory and processing power. So, in the mean time, I'll stick with 6.1 since I know my phone can handle that well, and when I upgrade my phone within the next couple years, viola I'll have 6.5 to mess with. I want multi-touch hardware and OS support; take note HTC & Microsoft!

i agree with you to an extent but i do believe the poll is pretty accurate. I definitely see why you came to that conclusion but to be honest it would only make 6.5 higher because most non ppcgeek members haven't even tried 6.5, so almost 98% of them would fall into the category of haven't tried 6.5 which to me isn't really a category. Lets be honest, if you're not on ppcgeeks or xda then you don't have 6.5 and have never tried it. So the poll may not be accurate to the number of users using 6.1 in total, but i do believe it to be a fair poll of how well 6.5 works ( which you have to have tried it to know how it works)
Old 05-17-2009, 12:42 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

molitar is keeping up the good workmolitar is keeping up the good work

What I hate about 6.5 is the lost of the start menu that was still a good useable quick shortcuts for applications that I used often in any UI that I used. The next thing I hate about 6.5 is the honeycomb grid does not allow re-ordering of the shortcuts except to move to top and bottom.. no just move up or down and no sort by alphabet so often was hard to find the shortcut I wanted. As well as the scrollbar is non-existant in programs now making it easy to accidently click on what you did not want. No to me remembering this made me realize it was fun to play with but for actually using it.. it was a nightmare.

For everyday use 6.1 is more practical to use. I have to ask HOW can anyone say WM 6.5 new honeycomb is better? I had to keep saying to someone I was going to show something too hold on I will find the program here shortly and scrolling and scrolling looking for it because it wasn't in damn alphabetical order! Now that was just an embarrassment!
Old 05-18-2009, 09:00 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro (VZW)
Carrier: Verizon

Asphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

up until a week ago PSlim you couldn't run that app....
This is why I get on you when you say 6.5 is BETTER...
Yet everytime I ask you never say HOW it is better...does it run most of the apps 6.1 does? Sure and in time it will run ALL the apps 6.1 does...
But that doesn't make it better...

Tell me what you can do with 6.5 that I can't do with 6.1 and without mentioning Titanium and honeycomb....
Tell WHAT makes it better instead of general statements that it is just better.

You think it manages Ram better...tell me how...
If it did you wouldn't need the clean ram app would you?

You think it is faster then show me a speed test...

I'm giving you every opportunity to back up your assertion yet you either won't or can't!
Old 05-18-2009, 09:12 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

pyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to pyro254750 Send a message via MSN to pyro254750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphyx View Post
up until a week ago PSlim you couldn't run that app....
This is why I get on you when you say 6.5 is BETTER...
Yet everytime I ask you never say HOW it is better...does it run most of the apps 6.1 does? Sure and in time it will run ALL the apps 6.1 does...
But that doesn't make it better...

Tell me what you can do with 6.5 that I can't do with 6.1 and without mentioning Titanium and honeycomb....
Tell WHAT makes it better instead of general statements that it is just better.

You think it manages Ram better...tell me how...
If it did you wouldn't need the clean ram app would you?

You think it is faster then show me a speed test...

I'm giving you every opportunity to back up your assertion yet you either won't or can't!
id love to see anyone backup those statements. ive tried two different 6.5 roms, and neither one could hold a candle to some of the 6.1 roms ive run. they are slower, and in my opinion, the ui sucks. Yes its more finger friendly, and yes, its a tad flashier (if you are comparing stock WM6.1 to stock WM 6.5), but if you have more than just a couple programs, the honeycomb is just overpopulated and it takes too long to find programs. the loss of the start menu is a complete deal killer for me as well. I hate to be "that guy" thats bashing on the new stuff, but everyone swears by WM because its more finger friendly and pretty, but IMO, if thats what you want in a phone you should just buy an iphone and be done with it. the ppc's come with a stylus for a reason
Old 05-18-2009, 10:10 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro254750 View Post
if you have more than just a couple programs, the honeycomb is just overpopulated and it takes too long to find programs. the loss of the start menu is a complete deal killer for me as well.
I agree 100%. I have tried 6.5 three times now & the more I use it the less I like it (& I usually LOVE things like a new OS to play with).

I have a TON of programs & apps installed & that POS honeycomb setup totally sucks IMHO. It is 10 times harder to find the program you're looking for, & half the time you accidentally launch the WRONG program (which is infuriating) while you are trying to scroll to the one you where looking for in the first place. There is not one thing I like better about 6.5, IMHO every single change makes the system harder to use efficiently.

I am back on Mighty RBORN & it is every bit as fast as any 6.5 ROM with none of the things that are so annoying in 6.5 (not having a scroll bar is retarded).

~John
Old 05-18-2009, 11:28 AM
Bay Area Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro254750 View Post
id love to see anyone backup those statements. ive tried two different 6.5 roms, and neither one could hold a candle to some of the 6.1 roms ive run. they are slower, and in my opinion, the ui sucks. Yes its more finger friendly, and yes, its a tad flashier (if you are comparing stock WM6.1 to stock WM 6.5), but if you have more than just a couple programs, the honeycomb is just overpopulated and it takes too long to find programs. the loss of the start menu is a complete deal killer for me as well. I hate to be "that guy" thats bashing on the new stuff, but everyone swears by WM because its more finger friendly and pretty, but IMO, if thats what you want in a phone you should just buy an iphone and be done with it. the ppc's come with a stylus for a reason
Yeah the ppc's come with a stylus because there os is not finger friendly, you should know that, actually every device comes with a stylus but because of the winmo finger friendliness, the winmo users have to use theirs all the time, which is the reason of this conversation. I've said it a million times, this os is not revolutionary in the least, so its not going to be leaps in bounds upgrades, if that was the case you would still be running 6.0 because 6.1 didn't do anything different then 6.0 really. So as stated earlier the only upgrades are the kinetic scrolling throught out the whole os ( which is a biggie), you have the enhanced finger menus, if you're running 6.01 you can get your screen to be finger friendly by running tf3d or spb pocket shell, but you won't have enhanced menu options, so when you select menu in any screen you better be ready to use your stylus. Also i believe now that winmo 6.5 crashes less then 6.1 with tf3d. Then not to mention it looks much nicer then 6.1. Maybe with your device your so worried about managing ram, but with my sprint tp its not a problem. I decided to keep the program cause its nice to have, but not a must on a sprint tp. So those few upgrades do it for me. So when everything is an upgrade (even if its minor) why would i want to be stuck using an old os, especially when every phone i buy from now or any new rom i flash will be 6.5. If you guys want to keep running 6.1 go ahead but one day you will have to upgrade.
Side note, honey comb start menu does suck for having to scroll thru all programs, but that is not a big problem for me because i have created a launcher panel for my most used programs. Windows does need to come up with a new panel customizer, that i can agree with.

Last edited by p-slim; 05-18-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:33 PM
Bay Area Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-slim View Post
Yeah the ppc's come with a stylus because there os is not finger friendly, you should know that, actually every device comes with a stylus but because of the winmo finger friendliness, the winmo users have to use theirs all the time, which is the reason of this conversation. I've said it a million times, this os is not revolutionary in the least, so its not going to be leaps in bounds upgrades, if that was the case you would still be running 6.0 because 6.1 didn't do anything different then 6.0 really. So as stated earlier the only upgrades are the kinetic scrolling throught out the whole os ( which is a biggie), you have the enhanced finger menus, if you're running 6.01 you can get your screen to be finger friendly by running tf3d or spb pocket shell, but you won't have enhanced menu options, so when you select menu in any screen you better be ready to use your stylus. Also i believe now that winmo 6.5 crashes less then 6.1 with tf3d. Then not to mention it looks much nicer then 6.1. Maybe with your device your so worried about managing ram, but with my sprint tp its not a problem. I decided to keep the program cause its nice to have, but not a must on a sprint tp. So those few upgrades do it for me. So when everything is an upgrade (even if its minor) why would i want to be stuck using an old os, especially when every phone i buy from now or any new rom i flash will be 6.5. If you guys want to keep running 6.1 go ahead but one day you will have to upgrade.
Side note, honey comb start menu does suck for having to scroll thru all programs, but that is not a big problem for me because i have created a launcher panel for my most used programs. Windows does need to come up with a new panel customizer, that i can agree with.
To answer alot of your questions they have come out with a start menu customizer, i use his panel creation and that works well, i assume this works just as good.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=481379
Old 05-18-2009, 03:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: evo 4g
Carrier: boost

Isriam is keeping up the good workIsriam is keeping up the good work

6.5 annoys me. Its too buggy, slow, just generally annoying. I am running my own rom, on Cricket, with a touch pro. Its blazing fast, and no problems. When 6.5 gets stable and kitchens remove all the bloat then maybe I'll look into it more.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro