PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2009, 09:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch PRO baby
Carrier: ATT

xgm541 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Brutally Honest 1st Impressions - Epic Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by schettj View Post
Uh, guys, stop projecting. It's not about me. Or the iPhone. It's about Windows Mobile (some) and HTC software (some) and HTC hardware (some)

I expected it to go down this road, but then again pulling the band-aid off often hurts.

How many of you have Touch Pros that have never self-reset, or that you've not reset yourself to clear some issue? Do you know many phones, including smart phones, have no end-user "easy, like you'll likely need to do this now and then" reset button? None of them run WinMo, sure, but it is true.

Again, all I am saying is, even if this is the best, brightest polished turd to ever drop out of the HTC product pipeline, it's still a polished turd.

And yeah, I think I've got the best "version 00002" hardware build 1/9/09 touch pro there is, and that it was functioning exactly to spec out of the box.
and an iphone is an even more polished, skinnier, and crappier screen turd then? Cause honestly, i would not use an iphone over this. And jail breaking is just the same.. actually worse.. than flashing a rom. Therefore, to get functionality, you have to polish the turd urself as well.

However, you are right, it is ur opinion on a phone, and I am just defending it, because i am not fond of people who are never truly pleased.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:05 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

I absolutely had the incoming call lag until I switched to the WinMo dialer.

That POS HTC dialer (why does it take up so much memory) causes my phone to ring at least two rings later than the WM skin.

It used to infuriate me to watch it light up in the cradle on my desk but not make a sound until it was almost ready to go to VM.

I would be glad to change back to the HTC skin (it is MUCH better looking), but I have tried every single fix & tweak I have ever seen to make it work & none of them worked for me.

~John

Last edited by jmorton10; 01-26-2009 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:08 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment
Carrier: Sprint

Athasian is keeping up the good workAthasian is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr8820 View Post
so did you hard reset right out the box? what about audiopara? you just opened your touch pro and starting using it?
Nope, didn't do the audiopara, nope, never hard reset.

Am I running a custom ROM now? yes.
Is it because I had to in order to have a usable device? No.

As I said, I used it for a month with the stock ROM, I made no changes that couldn't be made via the devices own control panel because I was afraid of all the horror stories I had read on here.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

henbone11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhenbone11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhenbone11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

lol another thread crying about the TP. if everyone hates HTC and winmo, why bother getting the phone in the first place? I dont understand it. I honestly think some people just make threads like this so we can be impressed by their pretty writing prose and incredible use of commas. I have never had a problem with my TP. to be completely honest, the only reason I tweak my phone is because its fun. the out of box functionality is great. I dont have phone lag like most people say. I dont have any of the other issues that people complain about. I am guessing that most of these problems occur only after they have "tweaked" their phones in the first place. either I am the luckiest HTC customer of all time or some people just do not know how to use their device. if the iphone is so bonerific, get it. enjoy it.

its like when something tastes terrible and you turn to someone else and say, "hey, this tastes like crap. here, taste it." if you know HTC sucks and winmo sucks, why subject yourself to the torture that is HTC? I suppose it is plausible that someone would buy a phone just to see how the crappy food tastes, then complain about it?

btw, I have never reset my phone. never had to. I have made backups in case I screw something up while "tweaking" it. but have never had to hard reset.

Last edited by henbone11; 01-26-2009 at 09:15 PM.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:13 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgm541 View Post
and an iphone is an even more polished, skinnier, and crappier screen turd then? .
You know, I'm not sure I agree about a "crappier screen"

I was A/Bing my TP next to a guys iphone at work the other day, & although you could certainly see that mine was higher resolution I would kill for a big bright screen like the iphone that is almost as visible outside in direct sun as it is inside the building.

~John
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:18 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

dr g is keeping up the good workdr g is keeping up the good workdr g is keeping up the good work

Funny, most of the problems listed are pretty nitpicky and don't affect everyone (I don't have many of them). I have zero reliability problems with calls, voicemail, etc. and did not even hard reset the phone when I got it.

(EDIT: I missed that you mentioned the heat/charging issue, which is IMO the only serious problem with the phone.)

To answer the question, my phone is tweaked quite a bit BUT my tweaks took care of irritating things, not missing or nonfunctional features out of the box. The phone is at its core as capable now as it was when I bought it.

Last edited by dr g; 01-26-2009 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:18 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T
Threadstarter

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
lol another thread crying about the TP. if everyone hates HTC and winmo, why bother getting the phone in the first place? I dont understand it. I honestly think some people just make threads like this so we can be impressed by their pretty writing prose and incredible use of commas.
OMG. No one reads anything anymore. And sir, you slay me with the comma comment!

I'm not complaining about the touch pro. Really I'm not. It's wonderful. We are all truly blessed to have them, and they are the best gosh darn devices ever!

I guess there are some people who can both enjoy a thing, and still honestly assess its shortcomings, and those that cannot.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

henbone11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhenbone11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhenbone11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
I'm not complaining about the touch pro. Really I'm not.
lol and the topic name of this thread is absolutely no indication of that. epic fail.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:22 PM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

henbone, i think you missed the point. this is not a thread so much about the pro as it is about windows. i am not saying that i want an iphone. i want my sprint phone to perform like it was advertised. i don't think that's asking too much. and i will be the first to admit that maybe i'm not ready for winmo if it means you have to hack your phone to use it. some of you just got your pros and have no problems with them. good. but i've had mine since its' inception and this is my 3rd winmo product and TO ME they are getting worse.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

hellraiser_osu knows their stuffhellraiser_osu knows their stuffhellraiser_osu knows their stuffhellraiser_osu knows their stuffhellraiser_osu knows their stuffhellraiser_osu knows their stuff

Quote:
How many of you have Touch Pros that have never self-reset, or that you've not reset yourself to clear some issue? Do you know many phones, including smart phones, have no end-user "easy, like you'll likely need to do this now and then" reset button? None of them run WinMo, sure, but it is true.
You know what's funny? My few friends with iPhones.. when they first got it a couple weeks and I'd see them in that time frame.. Everytime they tried to show me something he installed (and I am not exaggerating) their iPhone would stop working. They'd look at it with this puzzled look and after while it would reset itself.

I've always had friends that ran the TPro stock and have had no problems. I'd call them and they'd pick up after a few rings. They'd call me and I'd pick up after a few rings.

But, as with all electronics, there's bound to be problems and there will be people that have no problems. The people that don't have a problem, you don't see on the board posting. My phone's got no problems! I haven't had any problems and this is one of the few phones I've gone and not soft reset after every few days.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro