PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2009, 07:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

TProUserOnSprint is keeping up the good workTProUserOnSprint is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Brutally Honest 1st Impressions - Epic Fail

I'll explain it to you like I explain it to my customers. If you want a phone that's awesome and just plain works right out of the box, get the iPhone. No other phone for any carrier beats it out of the box. There's nothing tricky about it, it's solid and reliable, and very responsive. But only because IT DOESN'T DO MUCH!

If you're like me and can't leave well enough alone, then WinMo is for you. I can't stand the fact that 2 weeks after I get the iPhone, it will only do the same thing it did the first day I got it. With my TP, it may take me a while to get set up and tweaked, but if I don't like it, or I want something better I can change it at will. Once I switched to WinMo, I never looked back. This is my first WM device, so I'm not as jaded as you guys. I expect the lagginess, it was one of the things I had to learn to accept when I was getting the phone.

If you really don't like it dude, return it, and I'll sell you an iPhone. Otherwise (and with all due respect) use your energy to help us fix it up and make it right instead of complaining about it. There are 5 x 10^6 (yes I went there) threads with complaints, but so few with solutions.
This post has been thanked 5 times.
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: touch pro 2/treo pro/mogul
Carrier: sprint

miketab is keeping up the good workmiketab is keeping up the good workmiketab is keeping up the good work

This is an old story. I dont have those issues, but ofcourse I had to tweak it alot to get this to work the way on wanted it to. I knew I would have to when I got the phone, but i still got it. Nothing else can be customized so far like windows mobile, nothing.
Give him the KICK!!!
Pocket PC: HTC EVO w/TP as a Back Up

dschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by schettj View Post

Hack, regedit, hard reset, etc, etc, tweak tweak tweak, lowlevel tweak for SCI, etc...

Does anyone disagree? Is anyone running a STOCK UNTWEAKED IN ANY WAY Touch Pro? Honestly, consider that next time you're tempted to laugh at that iPhone toting apple fan boy. Because he's not tweaking his phone, he's just using his phone. Which works.
The touch pro is a phone also? All kidding aside, i respectfully disagree. Honestly, i tweaked the crap outta my TP, but you know what, i like to do that. I could be wrong, but i think lots of us here do. I had an iphone, and as nice as it was for what it did, i got bored real quick with it. It was gone in 2 months. I may not have a life, but i seriously like coming here and learning how to tweak and hack and make my devices better. To me, that's part of the enjoyment of htc and winmo But back to your point, i honestly and really liked my touch pro right out of the box. I'm just choosing to make it better.
dschoenike

My touch pro has been a better phone in one week, than my mogul ever was. And i really really liked my mogul. I do get your point schettj, i really do. I just dont agree with what you said.

Last edited by dschoenike; 01-26-2009 at 07:55 PM. Reason: forgot something :)
Old 01-26-2009, 07:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment

Athasian is keeping up the good workAthasian is keeping up the good work

I used my Pro for a full month with no tweaks at all. I was afraid to tweak it honestly for fear I would have some of the problems reported and have to return it and be denied. I never missed a call or had any problem, not even any of the physical issues people are reporting. The battery life ... yeah its kinda low, but I get 7.5 hours off the charger, 1 full hour of phone with bluetooth. bluetooth active for the full 7.5 hours and 1.5 hours of streamed internet radio over that same bluetooth. So yeah, I'd like more but its livable.

I'm not saying that you aren't experiencing problems, but my experience has been completely different.

(Yeah, after my month was up, I've tweaked the hell out of it, but its mostly appearence tweaks and removal of some bloat)

Old 01-26-2009, 07:58 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Trophy
Carrier: Verizon

Oxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I don't know if it's because I got the Alltel version or what, but my phone was AMAZING right out of the box. I never missed a call due to the Touchflo dialer (in fact, I still haven't changed it, but I probably would try it out if I knew how), and heating issues were minor to say the least.

The only issue I had with it was the battery life, and that was due to the fact that I couldn't keep my hands off the thing. After six hours of nonstop texting and web browsing and all that stuff, the thing would finally die on me. I don't really know why yours wasn't what you hoped it would be.

Now I'm not saying I didn't tweak it. I've already done plenty of tweaks on my TP, but that's just what I like to do. I'll find something that might be able to make my phone better, and then I try it. But anyway, out of the box it worked fine.

Hopefully after your tweaks, it'll be perfect like you said it would be. You won't regret passing up an iphone for your touch pro, cause at least you can customize it all you want without having to dodge Apple 24/7.

I'm not trying to argue with you or anything. Just wanna let you know that the phone isn't a giant waste of your money. Stick with it, cause it's worth it!
Old 01-26-2009, 07:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Pro

apinkel is keeping up the good workapinkel is keeping up the good work

I was dissapointed with the speakerphone on my TP... but I went thru and looked at the setup I do on my TP and the only settings I make are to changes to the profile, ringer, etc (personal preference stuff) and I installed pocketsheild to prevent in-pocket auto-answer. None of these things would I tag as serious enough issues as to label the phone an epic fail.

So I read thru your original post and in that long rant I couldn't pick out what your complaints were... so what are the problems you are having and why is it an epic fail?
Old 01-26-2009, 08:01 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Treo Pro

Scrotum is becoming a PPCGeeks regularScrotum is becoming a PPCGeeks regularScrotum is becoming a PPCGeeks regularScrotum is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I ran the stock ROM for about a week while I waited for a replacement phone to come in. I never had any problems when answering the phone, now I did have that same problem after I made some tweaks to the phone, but out of the box it did everything I expected, without any significant issues.

~Palm Treo Pro~ ~ SPH M540 RANT~
Old 01-26-2009, 08:07 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: touch pro 2/treo pro/mogul

miketab is keeping up the good workmiketab is keeping up the good workmiketab is keeping up the good work

actually, the touch pro works much BETTER than the mogul did when it first came out. If your not getting phone calls it could be defective or software did not install properly. Did you hard reset and see if that fixed the issue. I hada few errors and after hard reset on stock rom, those issues were gone.

We all know that this phone will get better and better through time. You cannot say that about the iphone.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:07 PM
Shop smart, shop S-MART!!
Pocket PC: Evolte, Gnex

themuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIP

Out of the box the touch pro was better in every way than my 6800 or my 6700. I didn't have any issues, the phone worked great and the speaker phone worked great. When I first got my phone it was running so good I seriously considered not even going the custom rom route, but what can I say flashing can be very addictive.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:17 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T
Threadstarter

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Shoot, guys, come on. I've been here since the apache days. I've cooked roms. I've written code. I've written books about Palm OS programming. Heck I used to be a contributing editor for Handheld systems magazine, back in the early days of Windows Mobile (Windows CE, we used to call her back then.)

I know this crap. You don't have to pat me on the head and say tut tut. I am just wondering if there is any clarity of understanding just how horribly wrong these devices are out of the box.

We're not even close to average consumers, business class or otherwise, and we have to do unspeakable things to get these devices to work like they should out of the box.

This, as they say, is messed up.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro