PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2008, 08:44 PM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Want MORE RAM? Disable HTC Dialer Skin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton10 View Post
I'll add a comment on incoming ring speed. (& it is NOT just for vz users). I have a sprint TP ported over to work with my verizon account.

It was driving me nuts to watch the TouchPro light up while sitting in a cradle on my desk & not ring for another three/four rings. If I wasn't looking at it, I would miss 1/2 my calls as they would go to voice mail before I even realized it was ringing.

I had already set my slot cycle index to 1 so I knew that wasn't the problem. I read in a post somewhere that the Diamond dialer skin was causing this & disabled it. I hate the stock Windows default dialer, but using that my phone rings almost instantly.

~John
Thanks for the confirmation.

I wish there was a way to make sure the skin DOESN'T get unloaded so that we could have the best of both worlds!
Old 11-30-2008, 08:58 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Alltel

bruceo knows their stuffbruceo knows their stuffbruceo knows their stuffbruceo knows their stuffbruceo knows their stuffbruceo knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by saumaun View Post
Seriously... how does this take up so much RAM?

Does disabling it disable the incoming call screen as well?
I was getting the terrible delayed ring problem and I attributed it to s2u2 whose full screen caller ID I loved. Now that I unloaded the bloated HTC skin the rings are instant and I put back S2U2 full screen call ID and I am really loving it. I hope to find a nice VGA skin like the one I loved to use on the mogul http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=396505 it was great because the dialer used the full screen. i always thought it was quite retarded how poorly the WM dialers utilized the space. They need to hire away some UI designers away from Apple

Just checked up on his link and found out he is working on the VGA version here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=437296
Old 11-30-2008, 09:10 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO
Carrier: Sprint

rushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I disabled the HTC dialer skin and when I went to make a phone call it was just white. I could not see any numbers. Does that mean I don't have another skin to use?
Old 12-01-2008, 01:02 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: apache, 700wx, mogul, touch, touch pro
Carrier: sprint

sidwin is keeping up the good worksidwin is keeping up the good work

man the stock skin is 10X more responsive to the D pad then the HTC one. now we just need a better skin....
Old 12-01-2008, 08:24 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

the links is down right now, but that blue VGA dialer skin that Paul Degroot has been working on (the XDA link) works great in my TP. It doesn't seem to bog down the ringer at all like the diamond skin.

I used the SVGA version in all my Titan's & loved it.

~John
Old 12-01-2008, 08:35 AM
VIP Member

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushco View Post
I disabled the HTC dialer skin and when I went to make a phone call it was just white. I could not see any numbers. Does that mean I don't have another skin to use?
Did you use advanced config to disable it??

All phones haave the default Windows KB skin that you should be able to switch to.

~John
Old 12-01-2008, 05:02 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Alltel

bruceo knows their stuffbruceo knows their stuffbruceo knows their stuffbruceo knows their stuffbruceo knows their stuffbruceo knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton10 View Post
the links is down right now, but that blue VGA dialer skin that Paul Degroot has been working on (the XDA link) works great in my TP. It doesn't seem to bog down the ringer at all like the diamond skin.

I used the SVGA version in all my Titan's & loved it.

~John
Yes it is. I just installed it ad it graphically blows anything out there away. It is a little more sluggish than the stock dialer in anwering, but not as bad as the manilla. But still not responsive enough to use with S2U2. Hopefully AC can fix this.

S2U2 full screen caller ID is awesome with the slide to answer/ignore, the best way not to make accidental answers by bumping an answer button in your pocket.

My tests show stock dialer with S2U2 ringer comes up on 2nd ring. S2U2 with pauls skin 2-3 ring w/ manila 3-4 rings. take S2U2 off and it drops down 1 ring each. It is like S2U2 is fighting with the skin's caller ID function.

My wifes touch pro with not near as much stuff installed on it, but same background process configuration as mine hers is 1 ring faster than mine, where with stock dialer and S2U2 fullscreen it literally rings immediately when the phone rings and the caller ID is instant. Which makes me think for sure that the combination of dialer skin and a certain registry setting are causing this.

I am conflicted because I hate the stock dialer skin with it's small buttons, but love S2U2 call id but this is the only combo that provides responsive ringing. I love Pauls skin overall, so right now that is what i am using by itself and hope AC will fix it or find the reason that S2 + Skin is sluggish to audibily ring.

Last edited by bruceo; 12-01-2008 at 05:05 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:12 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint EVO 4G

rawdikrik knows their stuffrawdikrik knows their stuffrawdikrik knows their stuffrawdikrik knows their stuffrawdikrik knows their stuffrawdikrik knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to rawdikrik

Maybe Im a newb, but i still dont understand how a dialer can be such a problem? I mean, how could a skin take up so much RAM and cause the phone to be slower? Can someone please explain the mechanics of the dialer skin and how/why it would affect the phone so negatively?
Old 12-01-2008, 05:19 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceo View Post

My tests show stock dialer with S2U2 ringer comes up on 2nd ring. S2U2 with pauls skin 2-3 ring w/ manila 3-4 rings. take S2U2 off and it drops down 1 ring each. It is like S2U2 is fighting with the skin's caller ID function.

Although I have always used it & loved it, I have stopped using s2u2 for now. I am using ThrottleLock (& Paul's dialer skin)so I don't accidentally dial out & that works super, but I would still much prefer a fully working s2u2.

~John
Old 12-01-2008, 05:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic

chris5h is becoming a PPCGeeks regularchris5h is becoming a PPCGeeks regularchris5h is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Thumbs up Re: Want MORE RAM? Disable HTC Dialer Skin

I have a Sprint TP and I have a nice boost from this as well. The boot time has increased as posted before. Plus, normally after a soft reset im using about 30-32% memory, now I boot with 22-32% used. Awesome tweak.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro