PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Want MORE RAM? Disable HTC Dialer Skin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawdikrik View Post
Maybe Im a newb, but i still dont understand how a dialer can be such a problem? I mean, how could a skin take up so much RAM and cause the phone to be slower? Can someone please explain the mechanics of the dialer skin and how/why it would affect the phone so negatively?
You're not alone... I don't see how a few simple graphics could take up 10MB
Old 12-01-2008, 06:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

huynhc is keeping up the good workhuynhc is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to huynhc

like i stated before, it also uses the accelerometer as it functions to be able to mute when flipping the phone over. I think it may also control light function as well to turn screen off once your face is near the phone (this is speculation). i think this is where most of the memory requirements come from.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:20 PM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by huynhc View Post
like i stated before, it also uses the accelerometer as it functions to be able to mute when flipping the phone over. I think it may also control light function as well to turn screen off once your face is near the phone (this is speculation). i think this is where most of the memory requirements come from.
I guess I overlooked your post.

So from what you're saying, disabling this would cause the GSensor and LSensor features stop working? [in regards to calls, of course]
Old 12-01-2008, 06:24 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: XV6700
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

venom51 is a n00b

Just as a mental note the ## dial codes do not work on the VZW TP without the skin active.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:15 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch pro

shifferman99 is a n00b

For those of you who do use the windows mobile default skin for practicality or saving some ram purposes, did you notice that when using the side volume buttons to adjust the volume (speakerphone or earpiece), the volume actually stays the same and doesn't change when on a call? It's weird, but I was using the windows mobile dialer for a while because I actually prefer it compared to the HTC one (and I save a bit of ram while I'm at it...), but when I needed to adjust the volume either up or down, the bars would move accordingly but the volume itself would stay at the same level...Did anybody notice that? I tested it with switching back to the HTC dialer skin and sure enough the volume works again...
Old 12-02-2008, 02:53 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch

LeoKnightas is becoming a great contributor

Sounds like it's not worth it to disable the dialer...Ram must really suck on the Verizion Touch Pro if you would even consider doing this just to save such a small amount of Ram.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:14 AM
Android Convert
Pocket PC: Epic 4g

1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to 1999TL

Well, If it saves battery, I'm all for it. I dont need the turn over deal to mute my call. I can just press the side button if I'm reaching for the phone anyways.

I'd assume it has to save some kind of battery if the accelorometer is used less?
Old 12-02-2008, 08:43 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

slypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceo View Post
I was getting the terrible delayed ring problem and I attributed it to s2u2 whose full screen caller ID I loved. Now that I unloaded the bloated HTC skin the rings are instant and I put back S2U2 full screen call ID and I am really loving it. I hope to find a nice VGA skin like the one I loved to use on the mogul http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=396505 it was great because the dialer used the full screen. i always thought it was quite retarded how poorly the WM dialers utilized the space. They need to hire away some UI designers away from Apple

Just checked up on his link and found out he is working on the VGA version here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=437296
How much RAM does this dialer use?

-s

Funniest thread ever!!

Don't just SAY "Thanks" PRESS ... Try it, it only takes a second!
Old 12-02-2008, 10:43 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: apache, 700wx, mogul, touch, touch pro
Carrier: sprint

sidwin is keeping up the good worksidwin is keeping up the good work

i had the same problem when i used the phonecanvas.dll. i disabled the key in the registry and now i'm using the default winmo which doesn't have this problem.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:21 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint EVO 4G

rawdikrik knows their stuffrawdikrik knows their stuffrawdikrik knows their stuffrawdikrik knows their stuffrawdikrik knows their stuffrawdikrik knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to rawdikrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by huynhc View Post
Thanks for attempting to clear that up for us.

But if what you are saying is correct, it isnt the dialer directly, but all of the additional services that it is tied to. That being the case, is there a way to disable the additional services for people that normally don't use them (like the light sensor or the accelerometer) without actually disabling the skin itself and the caller ID function.

Just a thought....

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro