PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 07:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro (CDMA)
Carrier: US Cellular

chrialex is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Linux/Android on CDMA Touch Pro -- Now working on Verizon! And with GPS!

All the actual OS files are inside the data.img, if you need to access it, you need to use ADB.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc incredible and a diamond
Carrier: cricket

4218kris is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrialex View Post
All the actual OS files are inside the data.img, if you need to access it, you need to use ADB.
ok cool i thought they were probably there, to use adb i have to boot to android right? then connect it to usb? i know im missing a step..
Old 09-09-2010, 03:52 AM
TouchPro Android Guy
Pocket PC: Vogu100, Raph500, Diam500, Raph800, Evo
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

makkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Hmm... if you're missing a step, it's getting the drivers. But if you connect USB and then boot to android, it should pop up the device and auto-install the adb drivers. (I think they still come up as 'HTC Dream'.)

Oh, and then you'll need to get the adb command line tools... you can either download the android sdk and install the tools, or just grab droid explorer, which includes a version of adb, and you can use its integrated shell to connect (though it's a terrible CLI). You can also probably use its GUI to just push the files to the correct locations.

You'll probably need to modify the autostart.sh script to point to the right interface (ppp0 instead of rmnet0) and... possibly some other things. I haven't taken a close look at it.

(Fake edit: OK, I've looked at it now. The script under the new/ directory seems to have some grep cleverness applied to find the right interface and IP addresses, so... try that one, not the others.)

Clearly this is uncharted territory, and expects some comfort and familiarity with the command line and how everything works together. You may have to bang on permissions a bit if things complain, too.

And even with all that, if you do everything right, it's no guarantee that it'll get you working data. But it's worth a shot. I'll try to help if I can.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:05 AM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkonen View Post
...And even with all that, if you do everything right, it's no guarantee that it'll get you working data. But it's worth a shot. I'll try to help if I can.
LOL that's awesome Makk. At least you don't give people false hope either Thanks for still kickin it around here too! If I had an actual Android phone I'd probably just forget about this project!

Last edited by arrrghhh; 09-09-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:47 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint Sero

hamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

what i found to work very easy for me was using droidexplorer for windows. you'll need to install adb and drivers so you can connect but when you open droidexplorer it opens up everything and you can make the changes you need, very user friendly imo. it's a drag and drop environment. if it is something in the rootfs you'll need to mount -o rw,remount / in adb in order to make changes there.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Do you happen to know if DroidExplorer will work to change the startup animation? I don't remember what file it is stored in (want to say system.ext2) but I remember you can't just access it through the phone itself...Or do you need a linux distro on your computer to do it?
Old 09-09-2010, 02:36 PM
TouchPro Android Guy
Pocket PC: Vogu100, Raph500, Diam500, Raph800, Evo
Threadstarter

makkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

I have no idea. If you can't access it on the phone, you probably can't access it through DE... but I can't really see why you'd be unable to access it from the phone.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:58 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

hamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

yes you can, i believe it is bootanimiation.zip - /system/media/bootanimcation.zip

you should be able to access it on the phone itself.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

I can see it, but changing it, because of permissions, was what was giving me problems. Don't really want to restart so I can use DE without knowing it will work (been running for about a week now)
Old 09-09-2010, 05:38 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

for permissions, you need to connect via adb

then:

shell
mount -o rw,remount /

that should take care of permissions issues with that.

or go into terminal and type:
shell
mount -o rw,remount /

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Tags
android, donut, eclair, linux