PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2010, 10:00 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro (RAPH 500)
Carrier: Verizon

x4osw0n is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Linux/Android on CDMA Touch Pro -- Now working on Verizon! And with GPS!

ok so I have formatted my sd card with 2 ext2 partitions, and can mount the system.ext2 file, but I am not 100% sure which goes where. I am assuming that everything in the ext2 file goes on one of the ext2 partitions. From what I can tell it should mount the other as 'sdcard'
Old 07-12-2010, 11:53 AM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)
Carrier: Sprint

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by x4osw0n View Post
ok so I have formatted my sd card with 2 ext2 partitions, and can mount the system.ext2 file, but I am not 100% sure which goes where. I am assuming that everything in the ext2 file goes on one of the ext2 partitions. From what I can tell it should mount the other as 'sdcard'
Not sure why you're making it so complex. I just have the system.ext2 file on my FAT32 formatted SD card. Just one big partition.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:58 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro (RAPH 500)
Carrier: Verizon

x4osw0n is a n00b

Ah just testing a theory; since I got a distinctive performance increase when formatting card as fat32 instead of fat16, I was thinking that using the native filesystem might be even better. Also saw some threads that indicated one of the other phones had a pronounced increase in performance as well with native ext2.

Ah well, I will skip it for now and wait until we have the last few things hammered out on froyo and can flash it to nand. Then it will all be irrelevant anyway.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:19 PM
TouchPro Android Guy
Pocket PC: Vogu100, Raph500, Diam500, Raph800, Evo
Threadstarter

makkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

There is a pronounced performance increase on some phones... not so much on these ones. Though maybe the 500 is more ripe for performance increase than the 800, so it might be worth a shot.

system goes on ext2 partition #1, data goes on ext2 partition #2. Open up /init in the rootfs; near the beginning, there's a whole section that tests if mmcblk0p2 and p3 exist, and if so, sets a PARTITIONED flag and goes through a bunch of steps. It looks to make sure there's an installedsystem.sqsh, and, if there is, tries to boot off the ext2 partition.

What you want to do is boot into android (using the standard method), mount mmcblk0p2 in a temporary directory, manually 'cp -a' everything from /system to /mnt/temp (or whatever), optionally do the same for mmcblk0p3 and /data, then reboot to WinMo, and move the files around so that it chooses to boot from partition instead of file.

I might be forgetting some steps or some pitfalls, as it's been quite a while since I've done any of that.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:23 PM
Testing Extraordinaire

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community

Yea, I just thought the performance increase on our devices was basically nil with the ext2 trick, but I don't know if anyone with a 500 has tried.

With that said, I keep hoping neopeek makes a breakthru and we get a NAND sooner rather than later
Old 07-12-2010, 12:24 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Professional

simon21 is a n00b

i'm having trouble partitioning my sd card. I tried 2 different cards (one of them from the evo) and it fails to boot. the hp program doesn't run on my computer. any ideas on what I can do?
Old 07-12-2010, 12:25 PM
TouchPro Android Guy
Threadstarter

makkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Ubuntu livecd + GParted will get it done. Are you just trying to make it into one partition, or are you doing something complicated?
Old 07-12-2010, 12:40 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint Sero

hamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
Yea, I just thought the performance increase on our devices was basically nil with the ext2 trick, but I don't know if anyone with a 500 has tried.

With that said, I keep hoping neopeek makes a breakthru and we get a NAND sooner rather than later

i'm with you on that one. looks like it has gotten it to flash without bricking it lol.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:13 PM
TouchPro Android Guy
Threadstarter

I loaded up FroYo last night on my new Diamond (getting ready to sell the TP2, since without sound Android is sort of useless; WinMo 6.5 is so stunningly, mindblowingly bad; and I don't want to deal with the hassle of unlocking it). It definitely seems faster/smoother to me. Haven't noticed any problems yet, so I'll probably upload a CDMA All-in-One later today.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:25 PM
Testing Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkonen View Post
I loaded up FroYo last night on my new Diamond (getting ready to sell the TP2, since without sound Android is sort of useless; WinMo 6.5 is so stunningly, mindblowingly bad; and I don't want to deal with the hassle of unlocking it). It definitely seems faster/smoother to me. Haven't noticed any problems yet, so I'll probably upload a CDMA All-in-One later today.
Wait... you're ditching a TP2 for a Diamond?!?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Tags
android, donut, eclair, linux