PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2008, 03:22 AM
Livin' Dangerously
Pocket PC: Evo!/TOUCHPRO2/ ALSO TOUCH PRO
Carrier: PPCGEEKS SPRINT JUST HELPS ME CALL PEOPLE.

SBR_L3GION should be added to the payroll for their contributionsSBR_L3GION should be added to the payroll for their contributionsSBR_L3GION should be added to the payroll for their contributionsSBR_L3GION should be added to the payroll for their contributionsSBR_L3GION should be added to the payroll for their contributionsSBR_L3GION should be added to the payroll for their contributionsSBR_L3GION should be added to the payroll for their contributionsSBR_L3GION should be added to the payroll for their contributionsSBR_L3GION should be added to the payroll for their contributionsSBR_L3GION should be added to the payroll for their contributionsSBR_L3GION should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to SBR_L3GION Send a message via Yahoo to SBR_L3GION
Re: Any former Touch users?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyjeans View Post
I have a Mogul and have only played with the Touch.

To be honest, I like the Touch's form factor (though the Mogul is no way near as bulky as some people make it out to be), and I like the memory it has.

This weekend, I installed Resco Keyboard, Touchpal, and PCM Keyboard, since I like to type one handed when typing in URLS and quick text. (I use the slide out for longer texts and word docs). I mention this because I tried them all with the screen rotated to see if they could be used on the Touch.

Yep, lol. I could type just fine with Resco Keyboard with the "I"-Whatever" skin. In fact, the keyboard size kinda reminds me of my Palm Treo. Maybe that's why I could type fast with it. (The Mogul's keyboard is noticeably larger and while it fits comfortably in my hands, it was tough to get used to at first).

I type the above just to say this: I do alot of Gaming (just installed Madden NFL a few minutes ago, lol), I cannot game with the Touch. That's the deal breaker with me.

The lack of buttons on the Touch rules it our for a future purchase. I was considering it for the memory, because coming from a Palm device, this memory management thing is stupid.

With that said, if you don't do gaming, than try the Touch with either Resco Keyboard with the I-Skin (or whatever the name, the skins included, lol), or even PCM Keyboard. You'll be fine with that set up. WiFi is cool, but not necessary because you presumably will have Rev.A . The only time WiFi is really useful IMO is if you're in a foreign country and decide to use Skype, or if you have real ****ty Sprint signal, and want to go online.

If you do enjoy gaming, I just want to be clear that the Mogul is just fine for the most part. As long as you close out all other apps, you'll be just fine. The one drawback I can think of is that some, and I mean some games require more memory than the Mogul actually has, lol!

Like Atlantis Redux. It needs 20MB free just to run. I boot at around 23-24. I will install this later, but I'm not sure if the gameplay will be very responsive, we'll see.

Another is Egyptian Prophecy - The Fate of Ramses. It needs 22MB free to run.

But in any case, those games, and the others like them are the minority (RPG games mostly). Madden NFL 2006 runs just fine, lol!

I should also note that I love my Mogul, just not the memory problems. (While I love the Touch form factor, I think the Mogul actually looks better and more professional)

I will also note that there are exceptions to gameplaying with the Touch. What I mean is, games like TomeRaider have on screen buttons. I think the Pocket NES Emulator can have on screen buttons too, but don't quote me on that, lol I like SNES and Genesis.

Midnight ramble over, lol!

~Journey
hey man i dont know if yoyu want wm 6.1 but no2chems latest has excellent memory management and sounds like it would be perfect for your gaming i have the mogul and have been playing with this rom ever since it came out and i suspect soon it will be in the kitchen. hopefully my touch will come in tomorrow and i will do what i can to load it up and see what its all about so i can give a more even analysis.i have had the mogul for 8 months so it will be kinda hard just using it as guinea pig. i can already for see me picking up the wrong phone and not realizing it till i get in the car.

If I have helped you out or you enjoy my work please feel free to donate.

Helpful ROM cooking Info

How To: Registry edit to .cab
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:04 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVOlution
Carrier: Sprint Everything Plus - Fresh Evo 3.1.0.1

Journeyjeans is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJourneyjeans is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJourneyjeans is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJourneyjeans is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via Yahoo to Journeyjeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBR_L3GION View Post
hey man i dont know if yoyu want wm 6.1 but no2chems latest has excellent memory management and sounds like it would be perfect for your gaming i have the mogul and have been playing with this rom ever since it came out and i suspect soon it will be in the kitchen. hopefully my touch will come in tomorrow and i will do what i can to load it up and see what its all about so i can give a more even analysis.i have had the mogul for 8 months so it will be kinda hard just using it as guinea pig. i can already for see me picking up the wrong phone and not realizing it till i get in the car.
Hey, have fun bro! If you're talking about no2chems 5065, then maybe I'll try it out, but I'm already using Vetvito's 6.1.1 Aeromobile (the one prior to his new dcd based one), and that was a big improvement over the Sprint Stock ROM.

With Vetvito, my Mogul's responsiveness became almost like my Palm Treo in terms of speed. That's the one thing I miss about the Palm Operating System. SPEED. I'm not used to waiting for apps to open, or if they are already open, the lag time in switching, lol!

With that said bro, thank you very much for the suggestion, I appreciate it, and I was planing to update to Vetvito's new DCD based ROM, but I'll check out no2chems too. (flashing only takes 10 mins, why not, lol!)

I'll say this though, and I can probably find this info in a search, but can I Restore from Backup to a new ROM? Like, If i go to no2chem, and restore with Sprite Backup, will it restore? (It's a different ROM)

To get back on topic, both Window's Mobile Machines are cool in their own ways, and I suggest to the OP to go to a Sprint store, and checking them both out, or even if someone here on the boards lives near you, hook up with them and check one or the other out.

Peace.

~Journey
Old 05-05-2008, 05:23 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

ajones7279 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularajones7279 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularajones7279 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularajones7279 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to ajones7279 Send a message via Yahoo to ajones7279

I've owned both the Touch and the Mogul. Bought the Mogul in November, switched to the to Touch Dec. 13 and have been lovin my Touch ever since. When I had the mogul, it gave me nothing but problems. Maybe it was a defective phone but once I received my Touch from UPS, I had a chance to compare them side-by-side and I was loving the Touch. When I had my mogul, i didn't use the hardware keyboard that much and I never used wifi so I knew it would be no problem typing on the Touch, especially since the screen is flush with the casing.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:10 AM
Give him the KICK!!!
Pocket PC: HTC EVO w/TP as a Back Up
Carrier: sprint

dschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaya View Post
so i dont know if you stuck with your wife or the girlfriend?
well of course that was a hypothetical statement but i went with the wife. she's got wifi
Old 05-05-2008, 04:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo-lution

karong is keeping up the good workkarong is keeping up the good work

im in the same boat as many of you. I have the Touch, had it for a few months now and like it. I am strongly considering the Mogul because of the hardware keyboard and the flash camera. I figured I can install fullscreen kepyboard or PocketCM kb on the Mogul and have best of both worlds. I can use the on screen kb when i have to type something quick and hardware kb for longer texts/emails. I'm not a power user so I dont think RAM issues would be a problem. But I love my size and feel of the Touch, also I havent had any real problems with it yet so I dont know if I should take the gamble.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Blackberry Tour
Carrier: Verizon Wireles

ryanbg is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobNyc View Post
Well I love the size, feel, speed of the Touch.. I text like all day long, and I talk a lot on the phone. The only complain I have is the battery doesn't last that much if you are a heavy texter and phone talker like myself. So I am getting a Mogul tomorrow just to compare and see.

So the Mogul has less ram (speed issues will be the first thing i will notice as i seen in other issues, videos and friends), it has a hardware keyboard which is good so that adds the big bulky size, the battery life being better we'll see.. gps i dont need, wifi i dont need when i have Rev.A .. but being that I can use the touchscreen (keyboard and all that) and not having to slide the keyboard we'll see how that works since the mogul screen is not as good as the touch..

Typing on the Touc I'm so use to it, I'm so fast, I mainly use Polen Vista Keyboard(T+ Qwerty) or TouchPal v3 now(Full keys Qwerty) .. I'm 6'3ft.tall and its not a problem. flash on the camera is a little turn off but screw that. Phone fits anywhere

Good Luck on your decision..
To be honest, I feel like my Titan is WAY faster than my Vogue was, besides not being able to run as many applications. I guess it all boils down to personal preference and the Mogul just works better for me.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:03 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTV EEVVVOOOOO, and a BB tour
Carrier: sprint..and umm...PPCGEEKZ!!

Success100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to Success100 Send a message via Yahoo to Success100

not ANOTHER MOGUL VS TOUCH THREAD!!!!!!!!

ALL HAIL SUCCESS100!!! lol!
Old 05-05-2008, 05:45 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue
Threadstarter

dhyte is a n00b

Thanks for all of the great info.

Sorry to post on a subject that has clearly been discussed/argued alot.

Even with all of the info I am waffling back and forth.

I used to have a XV-6600. It was a better PDA than it was a phone. I used to reset occasionally trying to use the phone, or it would just reset on its own when the phone rang...
I was missing calls that were very important me, so I switched to a BB 8830. A year later, I need to go back to the Windows OS because I prefer it.

I never used the slide out keyboard on my 6600. Maybe a larger keyboard would help (is the 6800 landscape keyboard got bigger keys than the 6600?)

My 6600 was bulky, but not a big deal. I would prefer smaller if possible.

I would like to use the new phone with one hand.

Not too concerned about WiFi, due to EVDO.

Low memory on the 6800 is a concern to me (triggering problems), but some of the comments about the after market memory managers helping in this regard offset this concern?

GPS is a big deal to me. I see that it is being worked out on the Touch, and I'm guess an official version of the update will show up pretty soon (the official version for the Mogul came out within a week or two of the "hacked" version ??).

My daughter briefly had a Touch, and within 3 weeks it had the blemish on the screen that others have reported.

Both phones look pretty great to me. I can't help but think this may be OBE, and the Diamond or Raphael will be my next phone (but I don't want to wait !!)
Old 05-05-2008, 07:32 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: BlackBerry Tour 9630

RobNyc is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to RobNyc Send a message via Yahoo to RobNyc Send a message via Skype™ to RobNyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Success100 View Post
not ANOTHER MOGUL VS TOUCH THREAD!!!!!!!!
For Real !!!
Old 05-05-2008, 07:45 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

papped is a n00b

Generally speaking the dealbreakers for the Touch are either the lack of hardware keyboard or wifi. If you don't mind not having those, then there are several reasons to go for the Touch (ram being a big one of those).

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan