PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2007, 06:43 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Treo 700wx/Mogul/TouchPro/TouchPro2/EVO rooted
Carrier: Sprint

itsall_cooool is keeping up the good workitsall_cooool is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
For 3 months i battled connections failing during data transfers, buying a new usb cable, thought i had a defective usb connector in my phone until i found the uncheck the "Enable advanced network functionality" under Start-->Settings-->Connections Tab-->USB to PC in a forum read. It has repaired almost all of my connectivity issues (still get the occassional disconnect) but i would say this has been a 98% fix. Along with the 'My Mobiler' program connecting and transferring data is a breeze (sorry i dont have a link)
Old 12-21-2007, 02:17 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: mogul
Threadstarter

princelton is a n00b
Ok, I have checked, unchecked and side checked the enable advanced net functionality tab, (finally left er' unchecked) Sigh, I have tried all usb ports, 3 cables, (one brand new, one known good) I have un installed all traces of handheld and usb ports, in Dm and let all mighty vista reinstall the "updated" software (read: Exact same software) I have uninstalled windows mobile remote adapter, and when vista downloaded the update (recomended update) it wouldn't let me install, says error 800F020B, I click the get help link to the help center, and like so many issues in life, the help center is really just a fueling station for Microsoft hatred! (vent, sorry) I am about at witrs end with this thing..... lol all i wanna do is yellow cube it and maybe some ROM hacks later on..... you think this is a built in anti-ppc-rape device>? Canospinich, I will PM for your help....
Old 12-21-2007, 02:37 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Super Delux Windoz9 6800+
Carrier: SARS, Avian Flu, Scabies

canospinach is keeping up the good workcanospinach is keeping up the good work
Send a message via Yahoo to canospinach
Quote:
Originally Posted by princelton View Post
Ok, I have checked, unchecked and side checked the enable advanced net functionality tab, (finally left er' unchecked) Sigh, I have tried all usb ports, 3 cables, (one brand new, one known good) I have un installed all traces of handheld and usb ports, in Dm and let all mighty vista reinstall the "updated" software (read: Exact same software) I have uninstalled windows mobile remote adapter, and when vista downloaded the update (recomended update) it wouldn't let me install, says error 800F020B, I click the get help link to the help center, and like so many issues in life, the help center is really just a fueling station for Microsoft hatred! (vent, sorry) I am about at witrs end with this thing..... lol all i wanna do is yellow cube it and maybe some ROM hacks later on..... you think this is a built in anti-ppc-rape device>? Canospinich, I will PM for your help....
k, i just got your PM. give me a bit to get back to you and we will get it all fixed up.

quickly - the "800f020b" error is normal, this is Windows Installer telling you that a similiar product was just uninstalled. You can either give it a bit to clean up after itself or dump all your temp files and try to reboot.

Some of the 3rd party apps/mods we do to these can absolutely impact USB connectivity. the biggist issue is the "advanced features" as this turns on NDIS networking which is causing more harm than good at the USB level.

If you can, briefly tell us the steps you have taken to attempt connection. I know it may seem redundant, but i want to double check and see if anything was missed.

i promise to clean up the info and post soon, Holidays have me swamped
Old 12-22-2007, 04:34 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

princelton is a n00b
ok, lets see....

first time it happened I was about to transfer the cabs for the yellow cube hack. I entered my windows password and checked my email, then I read up on the install here. I downloaded the zip files to my vista machine, and extracted them to their own folders. I then plugged in the USB cable to my mogul and it dinged.... only this time WMDC didn't auto open... no biggie I can surf to my mogul in "my computer", so I then click "my computer", then the icon for the phone. I alt-tab to the folder where the cab files are that I want to move onto the phone. I righy click, cut and alt-tab back to "my documents" on the phone, I attempt to paste, but get the "cannot transfer file xxxx. File may be corrupt or may not exist" error, I try to drag and drop, keyboard shortcuts, copy, and then try a different cab altogther, then a .jpg, then a .doc... all same error. Next I tried taking a pic from the phone and first cutting, then dragging and etc to the vista machine.... different error, says "Acess denied"
I then tried soft boot / windows restart and different port. then I tried going into DM and removing the device and driver and letting windows reinstall.... same issues, then try someones step by step with a non signed device driver, same issue, I remove everything at this point, do restarts and let windows reinstall, same issues. Next I bought a new cable, same issues, daughters PSP cable, same issues. Next I went to windows moble site, and read, mostly babble, but found this issue, MS says to do all I have done + uninstall and reinstall WMDC and SYNC and reinstall newer version. did this, lost being able to see phone in "my computer" and now it acts like a typical USB device with the safely add/remove USB device in the systray..... next I took a day to curse microsoft (a local holiday) and then tried first third of canospinich's trouble shooting guide, up to basically everything I had already done, then I gave up as the urge to use my mogul as a frisbee became too great to bear. with in all of this I have tried every setting, having to do with anything, on the mogul, and also on the vista box.... dont remember most of what I have played with, but I did try each thing one at a time, tested problem, and put setting back...... same problems.....
Old 12-22-2007, 11:18 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

princelton is a n00b
Oh and I forgot to mention IN my step by step... I also took my mogul to work on day 2 or 3 and hooked it up to work computer. It is an XP home machine. I knew before hand that I would need active sync, so I downloaded it and then hooked up the mogul... almost the identical issue.... the dialog boxes were worded differently, but the result the same... like a usb device in sys tray, and active sync wouldn't sync. Also files could not transfer off or onto the hand held, at that point is when I bought the new usb cable, at lunch, and tried and as previously mentioned above, had the same issue.

(also an afterthought Lastly the most recent change to my mogul, before it quit connecting, is a legit install, of pocket quicken. I am in the trial stage, but do like it so I intend to buy it at the end of the trial. I don't have quicken on any of my home or work machines, so in the wizard i told it not to sync quicken. I did try this option both checked and unchecked but I thought I would mention it as it was the last program I installed over USB.

Other mods to phone, in order:
Installed Google maps
Did the sprintTv install from Nov. 28th post here, roughly Dec. 3rd or 4th. watched 2-3 times, (comedy central and discovery) it didn't work after Dec. 12th or so, I uninstalled it.
Installed Microsoft live search.
Did the steps to make full you tube / Google video sites play on Mogul and installed TCPMP (works flawlessly)
Reg edit: battery life upgrade. (Cody's?) ( downloaded and used phm regEdit)
Downloaded free ware "castle wolfenstein 3-d" (looked like it was designed for WM 03 maybe for I-paq, but it works ok.
Installed VJCandlela (flashlight program) trimmed all but the Lite version out, and mapped it to the camera button.
Quicken pocket 2.5

All of these were done one at a time, with a day or more in between installs, and lots of use with no errors, until it stopped, after the quicken install, last Monday.

Last edited by princelton; 12-23-2007 at 11:14 PM. Reason: short term memory loss mostly
Old 12-27-2007, 01:53 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Super Delux Windoz9 6800+
Carrier: SARS, Avian Flu, Scabies

canospinach is keeping up the good workcanospinach is keeping up the good work
Send a message via Yahoo to canospinach
Quote:
Originally Posted by canospinach View Post
Here is a troubleshooting process:

1) unplug your handset, do a soft reset and reboot your PC. Unplug the USB cable from its existing USB socket and plug it into a different socket after the computer has rebooted, then attach the handset. Each socket will have its own driver install (we will talk more about this later). Also verify in the connection settings of WMDC that you have enabled USB connections.

2) Verify in your Power Management Settings you do not have selective USB/PCI suspend active. this is a power saving feature which may put certain USB devices to "Sleep" to save power and internal bandwidth.

3) GoTo: Start, Right-Click "My Computer" and choose "Manage". Once the Management Console opens choose "Device Manager" DM opens browse down to "Portable Devices" and loock for a "Pocket PC". If a handset is listed then Right-Click and "uninstall" (go ahead and click the box to delete the drivers too). If a handset is NOT listed then click on "Action" then "Scan for hardware changes". this will attempt a discovery of attached hardware and install any newfound devices.

While here in DM you also want to check your USB Controllers to ensure none are set to selectively suspend as needed (similiar to the power management settings).

4) uninstall/reinstall WMDC. Windows Mobile Device Center includes the packaged drivers needed to install the Pocket PC Device. As mentioned earlier you are advised to change USB sockets as well. Each time you plug a device into a different USB socket it will install the device as new. This is why some devices are labeled #2 or #3 when only 1 single device is attached. Plugging into a new socket will initiate a new discovery and install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canospinach View Post
---------------------------------

device is recognized by the pc - verified

#1 thing to do is the obvious, uninstall, run a reg-clean to remove the old registry entries, reboot, reinstall using Administrator account or elevated user credentials. Be sure to use a new USB socket, as i mentioned before this will prompt a new driver install.

#2 i need you to look in the task manager on the "services tab", clearly you looked but you look at "processes" which doesnt show what we want In Processes there will be 2 which need to be running:

Services:
RapiMgr
WcesComm

Processes:
WmdHost.exe
wmdc.exe

You are looking to make sure 2 services are running both with Process ID 3860. 1st service is "RapiMgr" the second is "WcesComm" if these services are not running the pc wont be able to run WMDC. i attached a small gif showing these services in action.

You can manually start the services or set them to autostart via the Mgmt Console.

If you havent gone through the entire set of questions i cannot guarantee we have not missed something. Let me know how you stand on these issues and we can take it from there.
Here is the quickest TS process i can give you at this time.

Please take your time and go through step by step.

Let me know on the services and if you see it in Device Manager.

Go ahead and unselect "Advanced Features" in the PPC in USB.

Last edited by canospinach; 12-27-2007 at 02:17 AM. Reason: i speak typo
Old 12-29-2007, 08:56 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

princelton is a n00b
Ok, I have gone through step by step, methodically, and am confused on the uninstall / reinstall of the WMDC. This isn't listed as a program, in add/remove programs (or whatever Vista calls it) The only method I can find at all is at the windows mobile site, I navigate to uninstall windows mobile device center, follow the steps for genuine check and the download begins, only the title of the program being downloaded changed, to Windows mobile device center DRIVERS???? I let if finish and it shows HTC USB Sync and related drivers being reinstalled.... when it was finished all was the same as before, I.E. connection to Mogul still available only through "my computer" and no file transfer at all..... Looking at the windows mobile site there is a reply in the troubleshooting re: this issue and it says with 64 Bit vista sometimes a second install makes it work, so I downloaded the installed again and it installed again (took forever) then all of a sudden, windows was installing USB drivers and other device drivers and WMDC opened out of nowhere, then hung, has been hung for 20+ minutes now, onto next steps, just in case.....

Uninstall what? regclean where?

Next step, in services: RapiMgr & WcesComm

in processes: WmdHost.exe & wmdc.exe

they are set to auto start (delayed) BUT to PID 2632 not 3680???? (is this our issue?) also when I minimized I noticed WMDC is still hung along with the device driver dialoge box with the following info:
Your Devices are Ready to Use.

The software for this device has been sucessfully installed.

HTC USB Sync Ready to use
Windows mobile device Ready to use.
Unidentified device Searching preconfigured driver folders.....

I will copy to PM, close browser, and wait for un-hang, I know vista will usually unhang on its own....
Old 12-29-2007, 11:02 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

princelton is a n00b
Update: restarted, figured out WMDC uninstall / reinstall no change... I did get the procedure down to get WMDC to open, and say "connecting" but then "ERROR".....
When playing with the handheld itself, I noticed a few things that seem to go along with this issue..... leading me to believe the PPC itself is the issue, not vista (this goes along with the whole same issue on 2 PC's, 1 XP, 1 vista...) in the ppc, in file explorer, I cannot cut or copy and paste ANY file or folder..... it gives me a cannot transfer file, maybe not enough memory, (87.10mb free storage, 22.80mb free; program) or you may not have permissions (or something like that) this also goes along with the error I get when trying to transfer files off of the ppc in "my computer"...... sigh I am going to call sprint PDA tech support, see how much worse they can make it......
Old 12-30-2007, 02:59 AM
Lurker

gotodd is a n00b
I Am Also watching this post for solution that Works.
Same issues as princelton

Thx

For Help
Old 12-30-2007, 03:30 AM
Deep Thinker
Pocket PC: Tin Can
Carrier: Atomic Vibration

gguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Did you check in Device Manager that your "devices" are all ok and listed (USB devices in particular)?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan