Regular 'Geeker

canospinach is keeping up the good workcanospinach is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to canospinach
Quote:
Originally Posted by canospinach View Post
Here is a troubleshooting process:

1) unplug your handset, do a soft reset and reboot your PC. Unplug the USB cable from its existing USB socket and plug it into a different socket after the computer has rebooted, then attach the handset. Each socket will have its own driver install (we will talk more about this later). Also verify in the connection settings of WMDC that you have enabled USB connections.

2) Verify in your Power Management Settings you do not have selective USB/PCI suspend active. this is a power saving feature which may put certain USB devices to "Sleep" to save power and internal bandwidth.

3) GoTo: Start, Right-Click "My Computer" and choose "Manage". Once the Management Console opens choose "Device Manager" DM opens browse down to "Portable Devices" and loock for a "Pocket PC". If a handset is listed then Right-Click and "uninstall" (go ahead and click the box to delete the drivers too). If a handset is NOT listed then click on "Action" then "Scan for hardware changes". this will attempt a discovery of attached hardware and install any newfound devices.

While here in DM you also want to check your USB Controllers to ensure none are set to selectively suspend as needed (similiar to the power management settings).

4) uninstall/reinstall WMDC. Windows Mobile Device Center includes the packaged drivers needed to install the Pocket PC Device. As mentioned earlier you are advised to change USB sockets as well. Each time you plug a device into a different USB socket it will install the device as new. This is why some devices are labeled #2 or #3 when only 1 single device is attached. Plugging into a new socket will initiate a new discovery and install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canospinach View Post
---------------------------------

device is recognized by the pc - verified

#1 thing to do is the obvious, uninstall, run a reg-clean to remove the old registry entries, reboot, reinstall using Administrator account or elevated user credentials. Be sure to use a new USB socket, as i mentioned before this will prompt a new driver install.

#2 i need you to look in the task manager on the "services tab", clearly you looked but you look at "processes" which doesnt show what we want In Processes there will be 2 which need to be running:

Services:
RapiMgr
WcesComm

Processes:
WmdHost.exe
wmdc.exe

You are looking to make sure 2 services are running both with Process ID 3860. 1st service is "RapiMgr" the second is "WcesComm" if these services are not running the pc wont be able to run WMDC. i attached a small gif showing these services in action.

You can manually start the services or set them to autostart via the Mgmt Console.

If you havent gone through the entire set of questions i cannot guarantee we have not missed something. Let me know how you stand on these issues and we can take it from there.
Here is the quickest TS process i can give you at this time.

Please take your time and go through step by step.

Let me know on the services and if you see it in Device Manager.

Go ahead and unselect "Advanced Features" in the PPC in USB.

Last edited by canospinach; 12-27-2007 at 02:17 AM. Reason: i speak typo