PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2010, 01:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

MadSquabbles is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: HTC says Evo 30fps cap on video cant be increased

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppermine18 View Post
I just ran some of those benches did anyone notice the choppy ones were averaging 7 to 12fps? The ones that were pinned at the 30 fps were fine. So cap was 0 issue there.
the second thing i noticed when i check the evo at the store was how choppy scrolling through menus and web pages were. later researched showed that the frame rate was locked at 30fps. 30fps is too slow for me. 46fps is better, but still not as smooth as 60.

btw the first thing i noticed was how fuzzy the screen was compared to the droid. that was expected since the ppi was lower.

sad thing about all this is that htc claimed it was done for conserving battery life. overclocking my screen to increase the frame rate has done almost nothing to my battery life. it may have reduced a bit, but i haven't noticed it yet.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:50 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

nautalis is just getting started

Unless I read the article wrong, the EVO is getting an update to Froyo.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/25/s...e-near-future/
Old 07-10-2010, 02:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

r.mauldin is becoming a great contributor

I also installed the 46fps and overclock hack on my EVO and everything is a lot faster, smoother and did not effect battery life. I underclock when the screen is off and that makes up for any loss from the overclocking. Their are several threads on xda about it. I is just a simple .zip flash through recovery. If you dont like it just restore your latest nandroid backup.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:41 PM
Newsie and More
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

Ticklemepinks knows their stuffTicklemepinks knows their stuffTicklemepinks knows their stuffTicklemepinks knows their stuffTicklemepinks knows their stuffTicklemepinks knows their stuffTicklemepinks knows their stuffTicklemepinks knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.mauldin View Post
I also installed the 46fps and overclock hack on my EVO and everything is a lot faster, smoother and did not effect battery life. I underclock when the screen is off and that makes up for any loss from the overclocking. Their are several threads on xda about it. I is just a simple .zip flash through recovery. If you dont like it just restore your latest nandroid backup.
i did this but i still get screen tearing....is there a way to lower that , 46fps would be perfect
Old 07-11-2010, 12:40 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

coppermine18 is just getting started

Ok well I'm not going to argue that going higher isn't better, but IF you uncap it and have frames bouncing 30 to 60 fps you will get more tear.

As far as I can tell the problems I have with scrolling do not relate to the framerate so much. My phone got a bit choppy in 2d scrolling, I restarted and it was smooth as glass.

Higher fps will only be smoother if you limit it to where the frames will be able to cap without huge dips.

Again, I'm putting it on system performance. This phone runs like a fragmented drive with no ram... Every time I restart my scrolling is perfect.

I have spent 10 years working with hardware and software (gaming benchmark overclocking the whole bit) testing as well as 3D post production.

My job was troubleshooting these kind of issues.

More research should be put into 2d framerate as it is in action as well as system items read/writes, cpu usage etc.

Like I said my 2d bench dropped as low as 7 fps.... So how is higher cap going to help that?

I really think there is more to do about this before going over 30 will be any benefit.

Bye bye WM, it was fun.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:16 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G Touch

ChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
Your analogy is stupid. So if it is just a phone, why get it? I can use my computer to go online and watch youtube, my camera to take pictures, my video camera for video, etc....

It's not just a phone it is a mutli-media device and as far as I know, games would fall under that category. I don't play games on my phone, but I believe 100% that the EVO should play them at it's full capacity and not limit people's experiences.....

In all the advertisements for the EVO not one mentions anything about it's great phone call feature's. The phone part is the least important for many. The iPhone proves that more then anything.

If you want a phone, go by a Startac or Razr. If you want a multimedia device, that would be an EVO and that doesn't mean minus games. It is one thing if the power wasn't there, but it is and being limited by HTC......

One would think if I was a company who made these devices, I would go out there and make the best damn thing I can possibly make to eat up the rest of the competition. I would love to HTC's mission statement and see how BS it really is.

Last note, if they say they need to limit it due to the HDMI cable, why can't they just write some code in the software that say if the cable is plugged in do not exceed 30fps. I am not programmer but I would think this would be possible.
If it's just a phone why get it? I though the sole reason to buy a phone was to call people...without having to have a cord attached to it. Yeah, over time cell companys have expanded to music, video...and some gaming...but that shouldn't change weather or not someone wants a phone. I know people that buy a phone just for the calling...being portable...then there are people that want every feature out there to please them. It seems you are one of those. I'm one of those people that buy a phone for my needs.

How many games on the Android market required more than 30fps? I'm guessing is a small percentage. Any NES, SNES, or Sega game will run just fine on this device.

If the Evo was a dual core 2Ghz with a physical GPU like a GF 120 or something...yeah I would hope it would be more than 30fps...but really...30fps is alot.

I will add...that the droid X is limited to the same fps cap as the Evo....since it has HDMI...I researched Motorola's website...30fps is as high as it goes...since again it has HDMI out...
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:20 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: PRO2/EVO4G
Carrier: SprinT

lipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIP

Quote:
As far as I can tell the problems I have with scrolling do not relate to the framerate so much.
pretty sure people who uncapped their EVOs said that touch lag disappeared after they applied the fix... just sayin
Old 07-11-2010, 05:09 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

coppermine18 is just getting started
Re: Re: HTC says Evo 30fps cap on video cant be increased

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipidfats View Post
pretty sure people who uncapped their EVOs said that touch lag disappeared after they applied the fix... just sayin

You just quoted something other than what I had to say about touch lag...

Let me put it this way.

The touch input is completely separate from the frame rate or output...

EVEN if you had 60fps the lag from your touch to it registering being processed then output visually would not be better... Think about your computer and you are playing wow or something online. Your computer is awesome quad core, sli video setup, water cooled, 8gb ram, solid state drive... But there are 150 other players on your screen and your ping is like 450ms.... You are still getting 32+ fps in total chaos. The answer is that your system is prioritizing over your input and so it catches up after the system finishes processing its other open threads. So you see it is beating on your awesome machine... You find out your virus scanner was running in the background and eating up your cpu and other resources... You turn it off and your game/system loses the input lag.

Now, do you blame the lag from your keyboard and mouse on your fps, or do you blame it on the data load and ping or virus scanner making the system less responsive.

That is not what makes it better, regardless what anyone thinks.

What reduces the lag is more efficiency through software/hardware or clocks.

Raising a frame cap is nothing that corresponds to the lag, it is another factor in the process that decreases it... If you had under 12 or 13 fps I would say maybe.

Bye bye WM, it was fun.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:10 AM
Gatornator
Pocket PC: Palm Pre /3 EVO 4G's/1 moPho!

gator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

OMG! Another 30 fps cap crap debacle. I'm not going to lose sleep over this. FROYO is coming and it requires 60 fps (I heard and read and still not caring so don't quote me) to run and if my EVO's frame rates increase, GREAT! If it stays the same GREAT! Now if it runs around like a head with a chicken cut off, I'll worry. But in all honesty, I'll buy the next best phone offered when my upgrade is available anyways so there will be a whole slew of new problems to deal with.

Last edited by gator352; 07-11-2010 at 05:42 AM.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:41 AM
Gatornator
Pocket PC: Palm Pre /3 EVO 4G's/1 moPho!

gator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
You just quoted something other than what I had to say about touch lag...

Let me put it this way.

The touch input is completely separate from the frame rate or output...

EVEN if you had 60fps the lag from your touch to it registering being processed then output visually would not be better... Think about your computer and you are playing wow or something online. Your computer is awesome quad core, sli video setup, water cooled, 8gb ram, solid state drive... But there are 150 other players on your screen and your ping is like 450ms.... You are still getting 32+ fps in total chaos. The answer is that your system is prioritizing over your input and so it catches up after the system finishes processing its other open threads. So you see it is beating on your awesome machine... You find out your virus scanner was running in the background and eating up your cpu and other resources... You turn it off and your game/system loses the input lag.

Now, do you blame the lag from your keyboard and mouse on your fps, or do you blame it on the data load and ping or virus scanner making the system less responsive.

That is not what makes it better, regardless what anyone thinks.

What reduces the lag is more efficiency through software/hardware or clocks.

Raising a frame cap is nothing that corresponds to the lag, it is another factor in the process that decreases it... If you had under 12 or 13 fps I would say maybe.

Bye bye WM, it was fun.
I agree and I posted something like your comment before in another thread. Scrolling and this so-called input lag has nothing to do with fps. HAs everything to do with how the evo uses it's resources and how them resources are allocated. Much of what these people are claiming is a major placebo effect and nothing more. It's kinda like morons who actually spend 100 bucks on a K&N filter for their chevy cavalier thinking that it actually gives them more horsepower and better gas mileage. Then they say, WOW it made a difference!!. No it didn't. That K&N filter is designed for high performance engines that need X amount of air intake for fuel mixture properties. But they will sell that filter to oblivious consumers who have no clue just to make a buck.

Anywho, since the EVO doesn't have a dedicated GPU, the CPU has to handle all the graphical chores thus taking away resources needed for everything else. With that said, MMO's are mostly CPU dedicated. You can have a 3Ghz quad and an ATI 9800 Pro (circa 2004) video card and it will run smooth as butter, well almost. But if your running a 1.6Ghz atom N270 and an ATI 5970 together, the MMO will slow to a crawl, even though that 5970 is a major beast of a GPU. Why? the game is coded for CPU cycles due to massive online structuring. Not Video output. But on the contrary, Battlefield 2 is GPU intensive. You can get by with a 2Ghz CPU and an ATI 5870 and it will fly. Anything less than an ATI 3870, the game will stutter and be virtually unplayable.

Some people just don't understand how it works and by complaining makes them feel better.

Last edited by gator352; 07-11-2010 at 05:47 AM.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G