PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2010, 05:53 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

coppermine18 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Re: HTC says Evo 30fps cap on video cant be increased

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator352 View Post
I agree and I posted something like your comment before in another thread. Scrolling and this so-called input lag has nothing to do with fps. HAs everything to do with how the evo uses it's resources and how them resources are allocated. Much of what these people are claiming is a major placebo effect and nothing more. It's kinda like morons who actually spend 100 bucks on a K&N filter for their chevy cavalier thinking that it actually gives them more horsepower and better gas mileage. Then they say, WOW it made a difference!!. No it didn't. That K&N filter is designed for high performance engines that need X amount of air intake for fuel mixture properties. But they will sell that filter to oblivious consumers who have no clue just to make a buck.

Anywho, since the EVO doesn't have a dedicated GPU, the CPU has to handle all the graphical chores thus taking away resources needed for everything else. With that said, MMO's are mostly CPU dedicated. You can have a 3Ghz quad and an ATI 9800 Pro (circa 2004) video card and it will run smooth as butter, well almost. But if your running a 1.6Ghz atom N270 and an ATI 5970 together, the MMO will slow to a crawl, even though that 5970 is a major beast of a GPU. Why? the game is coded for CPU cycles due to massive online structuring. Not Video output. But on the contrary, Battlefield 2 is GPU intensive. You can get by with a 2Ghz CPU and an ATI 5870 and it will fly. Anything less than an ATI 3870, the game will stutter and be virtually unplayable.

Some people just don't understand how it works and by complaining makes them feel better.
Lol, yay someone understands me. I am not so good at explaining and making analogies.

Bye bye WM, it was fun.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:15 AM
Gatornator
Pocket PC: Palm Pre /3 EVO 4G's/1 moPho!

gator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: HTC says Evo 30fps cap on video cant be increased

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppermine18 View Post
Lol, yay someone understands me. I am not so good at explaining and making analogies.

Bye bye WM, it was fun.
Neither am I. For me, it's hard to write what I'm thinking but I do my best! And you did a killer job on your last post.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:28 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G Touch

ChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuff

Explination of Evo 4G 30fps cap

So it seems the phone is able to do more than 30fps...they say it's a software limitation....and also due to the HDMI out which to me is a bit confusing. To me is sounds as if HTC is capping it on purpose via software. Since XDA has already broken it and been able to go past the 30fps..I wonder what in the HDMI out is limiting the higher FPS? I've heard conflicting stories...one website says it will be fixed with Froyo 2.2, then others (HTC and some websites) say it will be the same old 30fps. I don't know which to believe...but I hope everything works out in the end. Either way...30fps or 60fps I will still be happy with my New Evo next month. All I can say is it is way faster than my TP2 that I am currently using.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:49 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator352 View Post
Neither am I. For me, it's hard to write what I'm thinking but I do my best! And you did a killer job on your last post.
Well, I don't post much but this is something that is so full of fail and false in some aspects it drives me nuts that it is consuming threads.

I swear I should compose a thread about every thing technically as a guide to understand these issues. This phone its spilling over from typical phone to a system in a whole new realm where there is more to the picture as it becomes more complex.

Even though I am new to a linux based handset... The hardware/software/video performance issues have common sources.

Monday I will look into making a call in for a favor on some software that isn't user end and see if I can post some results and technical proof.

I was trying to avoid rooting, but in the name of hardware ill have to give in lol.

Bye bye WM, it was fun.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:04 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisH09 View Post
Explination of Evo 4G 30fps cap

So it seems the phone is able to do more than 30fps...they say it's a software limitation....and also due to the HDMI out which to me is a bit confusing. To me is sounds as if HTC is capping it on purpose via software. Since XDA has already broken it and been able to go past the 30fps..I wonder what in the HDMI out is limiting the higher FPS? I've heard conflicting stories...one website says it will be fixed with Froyo 2.2, then others (HTC and some websites) say it will be the same old 30fps. I don't know which to believe...but I hope everything works out in the end. Either way...30fps or 60fps I will still be happy with my New Evo next month. All I can say is it is way faster than my TP2 that I am currently using.
Well yeah it is software capped because the hardware is not being directly modified. The hardware can do more and has to be told to maintain a roof.

There are different video modes that the software can run under... it can say 2d, or 3d and process it accordingly. On hdmi out put the video mode it is in will cap it, you can run hdmi in 2 modes as well from a pc to a display that supports it, one in a mode suited for video output (tv) and another mode suited for (pc).

For instance as I have a 24"lcd hooked to my laptop with hdmi on a260m gtx video card @1080 in a (pc) mode so it outputs at what a monitor demands vs a tv so it out puts at 60hz, which it does not do to a tv that will not run as a monitor with a higher refresh unless it supports it.

OH BTW I can get the stock phone to spike over 30 fps, but it is immediately throttled. I am looking to see if those are legit spikes.

Bye bye WM, it was fun.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:56 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro

JL-F1 is just getting started

Why do people who have no interest in over 30fps keep reading and posting in the threads???

If you don't want over 30fps DON'T READ OR POST IN THESE THREADS, SIMPLE

now let us discuss something we want, thank you
Old 07-13-2010, 05:51 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HitachiG1000, ppc6700,I730,Mogul,Touch,TP,TP2, EVO

lefty11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlefty11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularlefty11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticklemepinks View Post
i did this but i still get screen tearing....is there a way to lower that , 46fps would be perfect
anyone mind posting a link to the "fix" ? I have searched and have found numerous 30 fps threads but none with a link to the "fix" .. I have the nova screen and would like to try it out
Old 07-13-2010, 05:58 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

Altimate_Dream is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty11 View Post
anyone mind posting a link to the "fix" ? I have searched and have found numerous 30 fps threads but none with a link to the "fix" .. I have the nova screen and would like to try it out

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=711964
Old 07-13-2010, 09:21 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo Rooted Stock ROM

sanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I'd like to ask what may be an obvious question, but beyond the requirement of 60fps for Froyo, what is the advantage of more fps?

I ask because I read thsi article a while back about how the human eye can't see more than 3 or 4Mp on a digital camera. That we really can't distinguish it and all this buying higher and higher Mp cameras was just a way to sell more expensive devices.

I mention the Mp thing because is the quality of the video being shown degraded at 30fps and better at double that? Is this something we can actually see, or is it just a technical issue about more is better?

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G