PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2010, 11:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

coppermine18 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: HTC says Evo 30fps cap on video cant be increased

Lol, pretty sure most every one obsessive with the frame rate that complains about it does not fully understand it.

You could have 30 or 120fps and it doesn't matter past what the eye can see or the screen refresh rate.

Not to mention go to high or have too much variation and you get tearing.

30fps is adequate for this device and video.

If you have the idea that this is a horrible issue go read up and learn on wikipedia or something.

Cracks me up that some get off on the idea that they are screwed with something bad just because others talking about something over their heads.

Bye bye WM, it was fun.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:20 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint EVO 3G?

twilk knows their stufftwilk knows their stufftwilk knows their stufftwilk knows their stufftwilk knows their stufftwilk knows their stuff

I understand the 30FPS and I am complaining. Thanks for thinking we're all idiots. Now you have as much class as HTC dev's.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:39 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Lol ok yeah or I have common sense and realize it is a perception thing. If the screens refresh is high enough the fps don't go over it or bursts and drops that is fine.

Fps fluidity/what you can see physically are different things that change based ona lot of variables.

Overall a 30fps cap will stay within what they probably believe is constantly obtainable.

Why do you need more than 30fps, and what is the reason technically?

Bye bye WM, it was fun.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:04 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G Touch

ChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuff

Anyone relize....IT'S A PHONE!!!! Use your computer to play games...sure the Evo can play some games...but it was never meant to replace you desktop. Your asking a phone thats smaller than a computer hard drive to do more than a average Graphics card in a PC...It aint going to happen.

Sure the Nexus 1 has better FPS, but does the N1 have a 4.3inch screen, HDMI out? Nope..this phone does....It also has many more features that current released phones don't have. Watch, the Moto Droid X will have the same kind of limit...due to the HDMI out. Update - just looked it up, same 30fps cap as the Evo...so don't feel bad.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:24 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Epic 4G Touch (SGS2)

eman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on repeman is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisH09 View Post
Anyone relize....IT'S A PHONE!!!! Use your computer to play games...sure the Evo can play some games...but it was never meant to replace you desktop. Your asking a phone thats smaller than a computer hard drive to do more than a average Graphics card in a PC...It aint going to happen.

Sure the Nexus 1 has better FPS, but does the N1 have a 4.3inch screen, HDMI out? Nope..this phone does....It also has many more features that current released phones don't have. Watch, the Moto Droid X will have the same kind of limit...due to the HDMI out. Update - just looked it up, same 30fps cap as the Evo...so don't feel bad.
Your analogy is stupid. So if it is just a phone, why get it? I can use my computer to go online and watch youtube, my camera to take pictures, my video camera for video, etc....

It's not just a phone it is a mutli-media device and as far as I know, games would fall under that category. I don't play games on my phone, but I believe 100% that the EVO should play them at it's full capacity and not limit people's experiences.....

In all the advertisements for the EVO not one mentions anything about it's great phone call feature's. The phone part is the least important for many. The iPhone proves that more then anything.

If you want a phone, go by a Startac or Razr. If you want a multimedia device, that would be an EVO and that doesn't mean minus games. It is one thing if the power wasn't there, but it is and being limited by HTC......

One would think if I was a company who made these devices, I would go out there and make the best damn thing I can possibly make to eat up the rest of the competition. I would love to HTC's mission statement and see how BS it really is.

Last note, if they say they need to limit it due to the HDMI cable, why can't they just write some code in the software that say if the cable is plugged in do not exceed 30fps. I am not programmer but I would think this would be possible.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:18 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: PRO2/EVO4G
Carrier: SprinT

lipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppermine18 View Post
Lol, pretty sure most every one obsessive with the frame rate that complains about it does not fully understand it.
You could have 30 or 120fps and it doesn't matter past what the eye can see or the screen refresh rate.
Not to mention go to high or have too much variation and you get tearing.
30fps is adequate for this device and video.
If you have the idea that this is a horrible issue go read up and learn on wikipedia or something.
Cracks me up that some get off on the idea that they are screwed with something bad just because others talking about something over their heads.
Not sure you fully understand what the cap issue does... Sure, videos play fine, but that's not what many are complaining about. I don't play games, but for those that do, it's a huge deal. The high quality games will stutter/chop and can't be enjoyed no matter how you try to spin it. Not to mention there is touch input lag because of this limitation, which is my biggest problem with it. Perhaps if you tried another similar device like the Droid Incredible, you'd see just how laggy the EVO is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j7cYb7EtUM
The above video illustrates how it messes with gaming, but it's an issue in regular use too. At least they fixed it in the app tray and in some other areas with the latest ota update.... I was completely ed by it previously, now just partially...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisH09 View Post
Watch, the Moto Droid X will have the same kind of limit...due to the HDMI out. Update - just looked it up, same 30fps cap as the Evo...so don't feel bad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilx_cpGZczM
Old 07-10-2010, 10:59 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Re: Re: HTC says Evo 30fps cap on video cant be increased

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipidfats View Post
Not sure you fully understand what the cap issue does... Sure, videos play fine, but that's not what many are complaining about. I don't play games, but for those that do, it's a huge deal. The high quality games will stutter/chop and can't be enjoyed no matter how you try to spin it. Not to mention there is touch input lag because of this limitation, which is my biggest problem with it. Perhaps if you tried another similar device like the Droid Incredible, you'd see just how laggy the EVO is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j7cYb7EtUM
The above video illustrates how it messes with gaming, but it's an issue in regular use too. At least they fixed it in the app tray and in some other areas with the latest ota update.... I was completely ed by it previously, now just partially...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilx_cpGZczM
Ok, I understand what you are saying but that touch input lag is response not fps. It is lag yes but I am going to blame most of this on the inefficiency of the evo against the others. Also the 2nd video showed the evo had lower overall benchmarks...had it sustained 30 fps it would have not looked so laggy. If you have a pc or laptop that you game on use any game with a console or modify a setting file and cap it at 30fps use an in game frame counter or fraps to verify the speed and check it out. Afterward if you have the right hardware to rape out the frames set to 60 and then after remove the cap or set it to a value you would not be able to sever.

The more detailed graphics suffered from lack of speed or"difference" should I say. If you noticed the simple graphics, the gears were smooth. Choppy/tearing comes from either frame spikes (severe difference) or such high speeds that your brain basically picks frames here and there because the detail is much more evident and appears to lag.

So my take is that it would be best to cap the phone at 60 due to refresh but ONLY when froyo is out for this phone and the system delivers enough to deliver consistent higher fps. I would hope.

I would be interested to know if one of you rooted users have benchmarked froyo on the phone and got the insanely high increase in processing power. Im half tempted to put froyo on mine look at the processing speed and benchmark at 30 and 60 caps.

My bet is that HTC saw the phone would suffer frame spikes within the ui or browsing at first and the cap would provide the smoothest environment possible for the general population.

Seems like protection from severe frame spikes.

Bye bye WM, it was fun.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:16 AM
Lurker
Carrier: sprint

supanatuwral is a n00b

I don't care!.....

If HTC wants to play Apple games they will lose customers. We may be the minority, but I didn't buy an evo because the phone reception quality was so great. I wanted a portable tablet that made calls and can fly me to my island after printing shitloads of money!
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:31 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2
Threadstarter

crownholder is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcrownholder is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcrownholder is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe-Lx...layer_embedded

comparison of the HERO uncapped to the EVO capped came across it thought i would post....even though iam happy both ways
Old 07-10-2010, 11:41 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

I just ran some of those benches did anyone notice the choppy ones were averaging 7 to 12fps? The ones that were pinned at the 30 fps were fine. So cap was 0 issue there.

I also ran the 2d, the frames were no where near consistent with massive spikes and a few severe lows.. Average was 25 fps. Again, not a cap issue. Plus that is just poor altogether.

Lol, it is not rendering smooth, consistent or even 30 fps in the first place on the comparisons.

Yes people should care it is just a phone but yes it is capable of much more and why is the question when it comes to the evo over the other phones. We have expensive phones that should compare to its relatives.

facts,
1. The evo is capped at 30 but the droid and nexus are not.
2. The droid and nexus out bench the evo which makes it render faster and respond to input faster, ie; reduce lag.
3. The evo is not even capable of averaging 30 fps stock... so raising the cap really only gives it a chance to spike higher sometimes which is worse.
4. Obvious answers are frame cap or inefficiency, ultimately both if efficiency holds it back.

Imo efficiency, fix it see the new avg fps, if capped bump it.

Hmm.

Bye bye WM, it was fun.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G