PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 09:02 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: sprint

supanatuwral is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: So yeah now HTC admits the 30fps limit is software because of the HDMI port.

We did the petition thing with the HTC Tilt....they handicapped the GPU or something like that...i cant be sure, but lots of people signed it....does any one remember that?
Old 07-07-2010, 09:05 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: PRO2/EVO4G
Carrier: SprinT

lipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIP
Re: So yeah now HTC admits the 30fps limit is software because of the HDMI port.

everyone needs to star the report on google code... right now only 630ish have starred it. http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=8942
Old 07-08-2010, 12:33 AM
HTC Soldier
Pocket PC: EVO 3-1/2G
Carrier: Sprinter Cell

xweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIPxweaponx is a VIP

So much is involved with current handset development. I completely understand why there are limitations on hardware/software components. In order to fulfill liability & performance claims, most everything made today is limited to some degree in order to comply with internal and/or external guidelines (corporate/government mandating basically)

Some high performance cars are equipped with speed limiters although the "hardware" is designed for more. Why?

Simple. It's called Liability.

Overclocking and increasing the FPS may incidentally cause other inherent performance related issues... including the mass consumption of battery, overheating, etc (of which people will then complain about that). Never assume that HTC or other affiliate(s) are purposely trying to withhold hardware/software potential from us.

But not all of the technologies involved can ideally support the resources of others (ie, battery technology) and thus some resources suffer until the others come current or more capable to better support it.

There is a viable reason the FPS and other noted "limited" EVO performance features are reduced...

This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:55 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint EVO 3G?
Carrier: Sprint

twilk knows their stufftwilk knows their stufftwilk knows their stufftwilk knows their stufftwilk knows their stufftwilk knows their stuff

Hero 60fps, Evo my 30fps. Actually mine avg. 28 according to the frame rate app.

Its an issue so resolve it. If it cant be resolved, quit sending us crap emails with false answers and send us a real email. HTC keeps assuming we are all morons because they feed us these crap excuses. I love HTC devices so I am already use to HTC's putting out products with defects. Ok yes the 30fps isnt really a defect but come on this shouldnt be an issue either. Other then this the Evo is awesome and I love it, almost as much as the Nexus one but I wont jump to T mobile so Evo it is and sweet it is.

People always find flause in things, prerfection is often chased but almost never caught. That doesnt mean we shouldnt keep trying.

BTW I started that post.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:48 AM
WHAT CAN YOU DO WITH 4G?!
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy SII Epic 4G Touch
Carrier: The non-4G 4G'ers (Sprint)

radar369 is a VIPradar369 is a VIPradar369 is a VIPradar369 is a VIPradar369 is a VIPradar369 is a VIPradar369 is a VIPradar369 is a VIPradar369 is a VIPradar369 is a VIPradar369 is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to radar369 Send a message via Yahoo to radar369 Send a message via Skype™ to radar369

Or............how about we stop trying to perfect everything and start trying to make what we have work?!

The frame cap only affects things that use more than 30fps..........not many things on the evo that use more than 30fps!

Other than games (which is what a PSP or a Nintendo DS is for) name something else that ACTUALLY uses more than 30fps......................because I have HD movies on my phone right now that play perfectly......no skipping at all........and when I take video of me speeding on the freeway with it's connected to my car mount there is no choppiness or lag.......AT ALL.......just pure video!

Also remember that the snapdragon is good for people coming from the MSM7600......but it isn't the best.......so if you have a phone that doesn't have the best processor in it why would you even consider it to be the best phone......even at the time of launch! Also.......snapdragon is capable of 3D gaming........but doesn't have a dedicated GPU for it......like the hummingbird or the A4s and A8s!

The Evo is a very good phone indeed..........but with the new Windows Phone 7 phones being able to play 3D games that rival the first Xbox graphics and the Samsung Epic 4G which puts the snapdragon to shame.............why even worry about it?! Samsung is trying to take a page out of HTC's book by coming out with a dual core phone.......both cores clocked at 1ghz and a full 1080p display said to top the iPhone 4s screen........by this Christmas.............HTC will soon follow......and hit hard!

P.S. We'll see about that DroidX too!
Old 07-08-2010, 06:08 AM
Indigenous Nudist
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

Torx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIP

SIMPLE solution.

HTC put a switch hidden in the settings somewhere, by default out of the box HDMI is enabled, capped 30fps. Noone will care or notice.

For us tweakers, let us have the option to disable it for our gaming and benchmarking funsies.

Until the feature of "what you see on the phone is what you see on the TV" is available, HDMI is kinda useless to me. so let us disable it until we can friggin find a cable at least.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:06 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Epic 4G

testacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torx View Post
SIMPLE solution.

HTC put a switch hidden in the settings somewhere, by default out of the box HDMI is enabled, capped 30fps. Noone will care or notice.

For us tweakers, let us have the option to disable it for our gaming and benchmarking funsies.

Until the feature of "what you see on the phone is what you see on the TV" is available, HDMI is kinda useless to me. so let us disable it until we can friggin find a cable at least.
Simpler solution, when you add a hdmi cable, phone says it needs to reboot before the cable is accepted, while the phone is rebooting if it sees that an hdmi cable is attached, cap is enforced at bootup. When no cable is detected at bootup no cap is active. If cable is removed after boot, cab is enforced until next boot with warning message on the screen after you remove the cable.

This way the average user doesn't have to do anything and the only time anyone is penalize is when they use the hdmi cable which for the majority of us would probably be very seldom...
Old 07-08-2010, 07:29 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO
Threadstarter

MrDSL is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMrDSL is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMrDSL is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMrDSL is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

The bigger issue here is HTC flat out lied about this situation! Why people accept this type of behavior from Companies I just can't understand. Everyone always defends them like "oh they release a lot of phones" etc etc.

As consumers that isn't our problem.

Do you guys honestly think all the DEVS working on the 30fps issue are doing so to score higher on Neocore? No its to fix the input lag/scroll lag. Sure games and stuff are also motivations but thats not the main reason.

I'm glad that you don't think there is any lag but there are a lot of people who disagree. I don't need to watch a video because I have real world tests that I and many others have done ourselves.

The bottom line is HTC took a shortcut and instead of making it to where the cap was only imposed when using the HDMI port they just capped it off and then decided to lie about it.

Its up to us as consumers to call companies out on this type of behavior. I'm sorry if some thinks thats just 'bitching'..
Radio: 2.15.00.09.01
Old 07-08-2010, 07:38 AM
Back
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: VZW

redd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDSL View Post
...the fps hack fix doesn't improve input lag at all..well done..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDSL View Post
Do you guys honestly think all the DEVS working on the 30fps issue are doing so to score higher on Neocore? No its to fix the input lag/scroll lag.
so does it fix it or not?
Old 07-08-2010, 07:59 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO
Threadstarter

MrDSL is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMrDSL is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMrDSL is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMrDSL is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by redd214 View Post
so does it fix it or not?
Sorry the first comment you quoted me was sarcasm. I forget sometimes that that doesn't come across well in text.

Yes..The epson screens seem to be doing better right now but theirs have a bit more tearing. I have a novak screen and there has been a lot of new versions of the hack the past couple days. v5.1.1 of the hack gives me the best results so far.

The source of the limit hasn't been found yet so at this point its more of dirty hacks.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G