PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2010, 09:40 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: touch pro2
Carrier: sprint

jimmyz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmyz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmyz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmyz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmyz is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: EVO Full Root|Recovery|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing for n00b's Instructions & Vid

Sorry for the noob questions but before I flash I was wondering about a couple of things
1. What are the differences between the recovery modes (Ive seen Amon RA, clockwork mod)- are some built to be used on the phone by itself vs hooking it up to a pc and using adb?
2. When you flash a recovery mode I assume you are replacing the built in recovery mode (which is limited in functionality?) with the modded one?
3. What is the Dalvic cache? Is it important to clear this?
4. If things go wrong or you need to return your phone to sprint can you just hook your phone up to your computer and run the stock rom installer
5. Finally rom manager looks like it can do alot from within android itself- I assuming in order to use it you have to nand unlocked?
thanks in advance
Old 06-22-2010, 11:44 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo
Carrier: Sprint

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community
Re: EVO Full Root|Recovery|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing for n00b's Instructions & Vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazin-asian View Post
im stuck at "cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image"

it gives me an error saying "cat: can't open '/sdcard/flash_image'": no such file or directory

i have downloaded the flash_image.zip and extracted it to my sd card twice so i KNOW its there. i have done toast root and currently running Bugless 0.3 with latest ClockworkMod Recovery from ROM Manager.

i have tried connecting as USB and HTC Sync and made sure SD card was mounted so what am i missing? i feel so dumb =(
Make sure the flash_image file is on your card, not the zipped folder.
EDIT:ALSO make sure the file is named correctly.Make sure your typing the adb commands EXACTLY as outlined, don't copy/paste, sometimes you pick up an errant letter or symbol. Adb codes need to be entered one at a time.
Make sure USB debugging is enabled. Menu,settings,applications,development.
Watch the video, it helps. A lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyz View Post
Sorry for the noob questions but before I flash I was wondering about a couple of things
1. What are the differences between the recovery modes (Ive seen Amon RA, clockwork mod)- are some built to be used on the phone by itself vs hooking it up to a pc and using adb?
2. When you flash a recovery mode I assume you are replacing the built in recovery mode (which is limited in functionality?) with the modded one?
3. What is the Dalvic cache? Is it important to clear this?
4. If things go wrong or you need to return your phone to sprint can you just hook your phone up to your computer and run the stock rom installer
5. Finally rom manager looks like it can do alot from within android itself- I assuming in order to use it you have to nand unlocked?
thanks in advance
1. Amon ra recovery is the recovery used in the full root process. Once completed we can boot into that recovery without a PC. Clockwork is similar but has slightly different functionality.
2. Yes
3. Best I can describe is its an area of data storage, exactly what, not positive. Yes, clear it.
EDIT: AS PER CYANOGEN :
"When Android starts up, the DalvikVM looks thru all of your applications (.apk files) and frameworks, and builds a tree of dependencies. It uses this dependency tree to optimize the bytecode for every application and stores it in the Dalvik cache. The applications are then run using the optimized bytecode. This is why when you install a new ROM, sometimes it takes a very long time to boot for the first time. Any time an application (or framework library) changes, it's reoptimized and the cache is updated."
4. Yes, there is a unroot, return to stock thread, look for my Sig its linked there.
5. No, ROM Manager can be used without full root.

Last edited by iknowsquat; 06-22-2010 at 03:49 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:17 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S ll, Epic 4G Touch

tsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via ICQ to tsowen Send a message via MSN to tsowen Send a message via Skype™ to tsowen

Followed your first post when I go into Recovery and it takes me to the screen to do the Nam restore and I select the proper one I always get the error :run 'nandroid-mobile-sh restrore' via adb so the only way I can restore is to to this method:

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernix View Post
Originally Posted by trmacdonal
How to Restore your phone on a Windows PC using a Nandroid backup
I am going to assume you already have a Nandroid backup created on your SD card using JF 1.31's recovery Alt-B feature. The backup will create a folder called nandroid on your SD.
What you need:
The Android SDK:
Fastboot Windows Binary in this post:http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...53&postcount=1
From your Nandroid backup you need three files:
data.img
system.img
boot.img
Steps to restore your phone
1) Put the files Adb and AdbWinApi.dll from the tools folder in the Android SDK into C:\WINDOWS\System32 folder on your PC. Substitute the correct drive letter if windows is not installed on you C: drive
2) Put the Windows Fastboot.exe into the C:\WINDOWS\System32 folder on your PC
3) Create a folder on the C: drive of your PC called android. The path should be C:\Android.
4) Copy the Nandroid backup files data.img, system.img, and boot.img from your SD card to the folder called Android you created by mounting your SD card as removable disk.
5) Unplug the USB cord and power off your phone
6) Power up your phone by holding CAMERA+POWER, you should see three androids on skateboards. If you don't see this go install the Engineering boot loader
7) Plug the USB cord back into your phone and press back. The screen on your phone should say fastboot.
Make sure your pc is using the correct driver. Open the device manager on your pc. It is helpfull to have all other USB storage devices besides your phone unplugged for this part. Look for a USB Mass Storage device in the list of the USB devices. Right click on it and update the driver. Pick the option to browse for a driver on your pc. The driver is located in the Android SDK your downloaded in the folder called usb_driver. If this is done right you will now see a device called HTC Dream
9) Press start, go to run and type cmd (If you are on Vista just type cmd in the search box and hit enter). The command prompt will pop up.
10) Type cd C:\android
then enter the following commands:
fastboot flash system system.img
it will say Sending, then writing and say OKAY if it was successful
then type
fastboot flash userdata data.img
wait for the second OKAY and type
fastboot flash boot boot.img
wait for the second OKAY and type
fastboot reboot
Your phone should now be restored exactly as you had it when it was backed up.
This way works like a champ for me, so am I doing something wrong where I cannot perform it via the phone? I am rooted via toast method, I am able to boot into the recovery screen where I can perfom the nandroid back up without a computer I just cannot do the nan backup from the phone.

Last edited by tsowen; 06-22-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:54 PM
Yo, VIP - Let's Kick It!!
Pocket PC: EVO - Rooted & OMJ's Rom
Threadstarter

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:

it gives me an error saying "cat: can't open '/sdcard/flash_image'": no such file or directory

i have downloaded the flash_image.zip and extracted it to my sd card twice so i KNOW its there. i have done toast root and currently running Bugless 0.3 with latest ClockworkMod Recovery from ROM Manager.

i have tried connecting as USB and HTC Sync and made sure SD card was mounted so what am i missing? i feel so dumb =(
From the looks on your picture, you're putting the phone into Recovery mode before typing "cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image"
Is that correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsowen View Post
Followed your first post when I go into Recovery and it takes me to the screen to do the Nam restore and I select the proper one I always get the error :run 'nandroid-mobile-sh restrore' via adb so the only way I can restore is to to this method:

This way works like a champ for me, so am I doing something wrong where I cannot perform it via the phone? I am rooted via toast method, I am able to boot into the recovery screen where I can perfom the nandroid back up without a computer I just cannot do the nan backup from the phone.
If I was a bettin' man, I'd guess you don't have Full Root.
Have you Unlocked NAND Protection?
Old 06-22-2010, 05:09 PM
Regular 'Geeker

jimmyz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmyz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmyz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmyz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmyz is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

thanks for the answers- one other question- how does android partition the SD card- what is the SD/ext partition?
thanks again
also- what about switching roms and apps you have bought on market- do you have to use a program like titanium backup or can you just redownload the apps?

Last edited by jimmyz; 06-22-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:12 PM
Retired Staff

tsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via ICQ to tsowen Send a message via MSN to tsowen Send a message via Skype™ to tsowen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRX8 View Post
If I was a bettin' man, I'd guess you don't have Full Root.
Have you Unlocked NAND Protection?
I did all the steps on the first page, I will try again tonight, what I did was took out my old SD Card and put it into my new phone (replacement phone) and did all the steps over again. I have root because I am using some files that require root and I did the Unlock NAND Protection but I will try it all over again from root forward. Maybe since I did the nandroid backup on the old phone that is the problem and need to delete the old nandroid folder off of my SD Card?

Last edited by tsowen; 06-22-2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:44 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:

maybe look here at the 2nd error
Old 06-22-2010, 06:03 PM
Yo, VIP - Let's Kick It!!
Pocket PC: EVO - Rooted & OMJ's Rom
Threadstarter

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsowen View Post
I did all the steps on the first page, I will try again tonight, what I did was took out my old SD Card and put it into my new phone (replacement phone) and did all the steps over again. I have root because I am using some files that require root and I did the Unlock NAND Protection but I will try it all over again from root forward. Maybe since I did the nandroid backup on the old phone that is the problem and need to delete the old nandroid folder off of my SD Card?
Important new info

Try this -

1 - Open a run windows (windows +"R") and type "cmd"
2 - Now, at the command prompt type - "c:\evo-recovery\adb-windows devices"
(assuming you have the files extracted to c:\evo-recovery)
It will give you list of attached devices
HTXXXXXXXXXX <----- That's the serial # for your device.

3 - Write that down exactly as you see it. (Or just copy it)
4 - Go to your SDcard and find the "Nandroid" folder.
In that folder is a sub-folder which is named "HTXXXXXXXXXX"
However, if your backup was done on a different device, that folder name won't match your device serial #.
5 - Rename the folder to match the serial # and you should be good to go.

Another thing that may cause that same issue is
A) Battery is low
B) SD Card is too full
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: better beliEVO!

meeklo062704 is keeping up the good workmeeklo062704 is keeping up the good work

Is there a way to get back to stock recovery instead if amon-ra without flashing back to stock sprint rom and completely unrooting and starting over?
Old 06-22-2010, 07:00 PM
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRX8 View Post
Important new info

Try this -

1 - Open a run windows (windows +"R") and type "cmd"
2 - Now, at the command prompt type - "c:\evo-recovery\adb-windows devices"
(assuming you have the files extracted to c:\evo-recovery)
It will give you list of attached devices
HTXXXXXXXXXX <----- That's the serial # for your device.

3 - Write that down exactly as you see it. (Or just copy it)
4 - Go to your SDcard and find the "Nandroid" folder.
In that folder is a sub-folder which is named "HTXXXXXXXXXX"
However, if your backup was done on a different device, that folder name won't match your device serial #.
5 - Rename the folder to match the serial # and you should be good to go.

Another thing that may cause that same issue is
A) Battery is low
B) SD Card is too full
Genius, pure genius I say, worked like a champ!

Renamed it to the new HTXXXXXXXXXX folder and ran it and worked like it should no problems.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
backup, basics, easy, evo, hboot-.076, help root, htc evo 4g, htc evo password, radio-1.36.00.04.02, recovery, restore, root, rooting, videos