PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2010, 11:18 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo
Carrier: Sprint

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: EVO Full Root|Recovery|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing for n00b's Instructions & Vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapaz04 View Post
!!!2 THOSE WITH ISSUES ON ROOTING THE EVO DUE TO CMD WINDOW CLOSING ON YOU!!!

This is an issue most prevelent on Vista and Win7... I had thesame issue and got stuck... luckily, with a little patience and trial and error, I was able to make it work.

1.) Download the files from post 1
2.) Follow steps 1-2B
3.) Jump to post #7 and begin at step #7
4.) At step #10, instead of running the batch file as admin, do the following:
4a.) Click on "START"
4b.) On the search bar type "CMD"
4c.) At the top of the column you will see the CMD.exe
4d.) Right click CMD.exe and run as ADMINISTRATOR
4e.) Type > "cd c:\evo-recovery" after the prompt
4f.) Type > "recovery-windows.bat" after the prompt
****Continue with step #11 through #20****

Voila!!! You have rooted your EVO!!!

PS... YOU NEED TO HAVE THE HTC SYNC INSTALLED FOR THE EVO. I AM NOT SURE IF YOU ALSO NEED THE "android-sdk_r06-windows" DEVELOPER TOOLS BUT IT DOES NOT HURT TO DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL. I found that without these, the phone will not communicate with the computer.

Hope this helps you guys. Im a n00b to android so I hope my instructions will helps other Android-Virgins out there. Just bought my EVO two days ago. I have only fooled with Android on my Touch Pro and Touch Pro 2...
As Fast says two posts back and in Post #1 HTC Sync is required, AndroidSDK is not required but IS fun to play with

I disagree with recommending that users skip around the thread.

Fast's tutorial is clear, concise and works. Period. IMO jumping to different parts of the thread will only lead to confusion.

STICK WITH POST #1, read it twice, watch the videos in Post #2 and you'll be golden.

It looks like you've posted another option for opening the command window which may be helpful. Thanks.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:19 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: cellphone
Carrier: s

rigoleto91 is a n00b
Re: EVO Full Root|Recovery|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing for n00b's Instructions & Vid

hi... when i go to section 2.. i type the code and then it said that there is not such file as "755" or "chmod" soo i do not what to do... and also i do not have memory in my phone i do not know why.. i hope that someone could help me.... thanks.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

luckyzac is just getting started
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

This was...Much simpler than I ever expected it to be...
Thanks!!!
Old 06-25-2010, 11:27 PM
Retired Staff

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigoleto91 View Post
hi... when i go to section 2.. i type the code and then it said that there is not such file as "755" or "chmod" soo i do not what to do... and also i do not have memory in my phone i do not know why.. i hope that someone could help me.... thanks.
Are you typing the code one line at a time?
Each line must be typed, not copied and pasted, one at a time and press Enter.

Not sure what you mean by "I do not have memory in my phone"?
Old 06-26-2010, 01:38 AM
Yo, VIP - Let's Kick It!!
Pocket PC: EVO - Rooted & OMJ's Rom
Threadstarter

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community

Update...

I re-wrote the instructions on the 1st post.

I added a method for doing the Rooting Part II w/o using a pc or ADB windows.
Many people seem to have issues with that process, plus sometimes they have the drivers installed and sometimes they don't.
This newer method eliminates all those errors. The only errors available now are User Errors

I'm working on the new video for Youtube, but I don't think it will be done tonight.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:08 AM
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRX8 View Post
Update...

I re-wrote the instructions on the 1st post.

I added a method for doing the Rooting Part II w/o using a pc or ADB windows.
Many people seem to have issues with that process, plus sometimes they have the drivers installed and sometimes they don't.
This newer method eliminates all those errors. The only errors available now are User Errors

I'm working on the new video for Youtube, but I don't think it will be done tonight.
Thanks DUDE

@All- Just an FYI, dont use Google Googles to scan the QR in Post #1, I got errors at least. Barcode Scanner worked perfectly like Fast said.
It's installed as Terminal Emulator. Too cool!

When typing in the emulator it looks like we have to use symbol keys for the / - and _ symbols. Long pressing letter keys doesnt appear to work.

When I long pressed "L" "n" and "z" I got those letters in my code line THEN the corresponding symbols which would mess things up. I didnt run the whole process as I'm fully rooted but was playing in the emulator and thought I'd mention.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:02 AM
Threadstarter

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmonewbie View Post
Thanks DUDE

@All- Just an FYI, dont use Google Googles to scan the QR in Post #1, I got errors at least. Barcode Scanner worked perfectly like Fast said.
It's installed as Terminal Emulator. Too cool!

When typing in the emulator it looks like we have to use symbol keys for the / - and _ symbols. Long pressing letter keys doesnt appear to work.

When I long pressed "L" "n" and "z" I got those letters in my code line THEN the corresponding symbols which would mess things up. I didnt run the whole process as I'm fully rooted but was playing in the emulator and thought I'd mention.
What's weird is the long press keys work after a reboot.
In the video, I use the symbols sections 1st then the second time, I use the long-press.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:10 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo3D/EvoShift/Arrive(Gold_C)/A100/A500/GALAXY10.1

mapaz04 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmapaz04 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmapaz04 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmapaz04 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmapaz04 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmonewbie View Post
As Fast says two posts back and in Post #1 HTC Sync is required, AndroidSDK is not required but IS fun to play with

I disagree with recommending that users skip around the thread.

Fast's tutorial is clear, concise and works. Period. IMO jumping to different parts of the thread will only lead to confusion.

STICK WITH POST #1, read it twice, watch the videos in Post #2 and you'll be golden.

It looks like you've posted another option for opening the command window which may be helpful. Thanks.

Not trying to create confusion, just trying to get those with Vista and Win7 out of a bind because the first post does not work on Win7 since the files that have to be ran have to be used through administrative rights and these files will open and close almost immediately therefore not allowing us to continue with the ROOT'ing of our phones.

I am not a n00b in flashing phones since I have been doing this since my APACHE days but this is the first time doing something with android. Nonetheless, Thank you for your feedback but as stated, if you were running Win7 you would see what I mean and the reason I made my post.

PS. I SEE THE EDIT TO POST #1, I GUESS THIS MEANS MY PREVIOUS POST IS OBSOLETE!! jejeje.
Thanks FASTRX8, appreciate you simplifying the method for those of us that were not able to use the previous instructions because of our retarded Windows enviroments! jejeje

Last edited by mapaz04; 06-26-2010 at 05:32 AM.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:16 AM
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapaz04 View Post
Not trying to create confusion, just trying to get those with Vista and Win7 out of a bind because the first post does not work on Win7 since the files that have to be ran have to be used through administrative rights and these files will open and close almost immediately therefore not allowing us to continue with the ROOT'ing of our phones.

I am not a n00b in flashing phones since I have been doing this since my APACHE days but this is the first time doing something with android. Nonetheless, Thank you for your feedback but as stated, if you were running Win7 you would see what I mean and the reason I made my post.

PS. I SEE THE EDIT TO POST #1, I GUESS THIS MEANS MY PREVIOUS POST IS OBSOLETE!! jejeje.
Thanks FASTRX8, appreciate you simplifying the method for those of us that were not able to use the previous instructions because of our retarded Windows enviroments! jejeje
No sweat. I realized lots of people were having issues that I couldn't control because there were too many variables.

BTW- I too have been flashing since the Apache days. That was my 1st WM phone. My first exposure to Android was when I got the EVO on the 4th. That day I did a bunch of reading, then I rooted and flashed a rom that night.
After I finished, I wrote the 1st version of the tutorial. Stayed up all night doing it. That's why the thread was started at 6am my time on Saturday.
The original instructions were written for Win7.
In fact, every time I've made changes to the tutorial, I test it in Win7 and XP. The problem comes back to "too many variables" with different peoples setup. That's is why I took the PC out of the equation now.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:29 AM
Threadstarter

Alright, last post and I'm going to bed. Gotta be up in 3hrs to watch the World Cup.

I just updated post #2 w/ my new video.

I've had too many questions come up because there are too many variables with everyone's PC. This new method will eliminate the need to use the pc.
There are notes throughout the video that tell you what step of the video you are watching. If you do this, you can then use Rom Manager from the Market for any other things you need regarding roms. (i.e. Nand Backup/Restore, Flash newer roms/radios)

**Rooting - Full Root Parts I & II - Wipe - Flash - Without a PC or ADB Shell**
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzEot2oYKbw

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
backup, basics, easy, evo, hboot-.076, help root, htc evo 4g, htc evo password, radio-1.36.00.04.02, recovery, restore, root, rooting, videos