PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2010, 06:32 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G, HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

kornmaniac is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: EVO Full Root|Recovery|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing for n00b's Instructions & Vid

After you enter the stuff in the second step does it say anything before you power off the phone
Old 06-16-2010, 08:06 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO...nothin but the BEST!

TREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on repTREmp77 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: EVO Full Root|Recovery|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing for n00b's Instructions & Vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornmaniac View Post
After you enter the stuff in the second step does it say anything before you power off the phone
Nope...well mine didnt.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:15 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community
Re: EVO - Root|Recovery|Nand Backup|Flashing for n00b's Instructions & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by itouch24 View Post
awesome thread ... can anyone explain what the unloking NAND Protection actually does .. and what do u gain from that ?
im going to do everything but i just like to learn and know why i am doing it all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by winmonewbie View Post
Remember I'm still learning too
The toast root comes in two parts. Part I has been around for a week or so. This allowed a lot of root access with a major limitation of not being able to write to /system.
Part II dropped last night/yesterday and cleared the path to full root.
You need to do both parts for full root.
Part II is the getting past NAND protection part. With Part I and NAND in place /system as read only. Now we can write to /system. This allows full access to the OS, namely adding and removing apps.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:44 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

gmoney91 is just getting started

Need some help. I'm at the manual recovery part. Just like some people that posted, when I try to reboot in recovery, the black screen comes up for a second and then disappears. Then, I tried to boot in recovery by inputing the commands (as recommended at the bottom of page 11 of this thread). The message it gave me was "adb server is out of date killing.... adb server didn't ACK *failed to start daemon* error:"
Old 06-16-2010, 10:00 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo LTE

subzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to subzero1313 Send a message via MSN to subzero1313 Send a message via Yahoo to subzero1313

a couple quick questions:

is there a way to know if all this worked? Im pretty sure the root worked, but once it got into the mutli-line code, i didnt see anything happening

the wireless tether app, I run it and it says "unable to tether please try again" or something about my phone in an unstable state. Any clues how to make it work?

When I try to search for the Qik for Evo, it doesn't appear. Just the normal Qik app, which doesn't give video chat. Why? And how can I get it back?
Old 06-16-2010, 10:03 PM
Yo, VIP - Let's Kick It!!
Pocket PC: EVO - Rooted & OMJ's Rom
Threadstarter

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoney91 View Post
Need some help. I'm at the manual recovery part. Just like some people that posted, when I try to reboot in recovery, the black screen comes up for a second and then disappears. Then, I tried to boot in recovery by inputing the commands (as recommended at the bottom of page 11 of this thread). The message it gave me was "adb server is out of date killing.... adb server didn't ACK *failed to start daemon* error:"
Not sure what commands you're referring too. If you reference a post, say the post#. I have my default set to 40post per page sure currently, there's only 9 pages.

As far as commands, as long as you extract the evo-recovery into a folder as I mentioned in the 1st post, you can just type the command into a run window.
Or better yet, you should get comfortable w/ adb shell.

Connect you're phone and select "Charge Only."
Make sure USB Debugging is on.
In a run window type;
c:\evo-recovery\adb-windows shell

That brings up the shell command window.
Everything you type there goes straight to the phone.
reboot recovery (for booting into recovery)
Then you can run the .bat file straight from the run windows like I described in post 1.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:04 PM
Yo, VIP - Let's Kick It!!
Pocket PC: EVO - Rooted & OMJ's Rom
Threadstarter

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzero1313 View Post
a couple quick questions:

is there a way to know if all this worked? Im pretty sure the root worked, but once it got into the mutli-line code, i didnt see anything happening

the wireless tether app, I run it and it says "unable to tether please try again" or something about my phone in an unstable state. Any clues how to make it work?

When I try to search for the Qik for Evo, it doesn't appear. Just the normal Qik app, which doesn't give video chat. Why? And how can I get it back?
What's all this?
Which custom rom did your load?
Did you wipe?
Old 06-16-2010, 10:18 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo LTE

subzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to subzero1313 Send a message via MSN to subzero1313 Send a message via Yahoo to subzero1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRX8 View Post
What's all this?
Which custom rom did your load?
Did you wipe?
The rooting/NAND protection unlocking
No custom ROM yet, looking into what I like.
And yes
Old 06-16-2010, 10:20 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

gmoney91 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRX8 View Post
Not sure what commands you're referring too. If you reference a post, say the post#. I have my default set to 40post per page sure currently, there's only 9 pages.

As far as commands, as long as you extract the evo-recovery into a folder as I mentioned in the 1st post, you can just type the command into a run window.
Or better yet, you should get comfortable w/ adb shell.

Connect you're phone and select "Charge Only."
Make sure USB Debugging is on.
In a run window type;
c:\evo-recovery\adb-windows shell

That brings up the shell command window.
Everything you type there goes straight to the phone.
reboot recovery (for booting into recovery)
Then you can run the .bat file straight from the run windows like I described in post 1.
I'm sorry. The post I was referring to is #110. That error message that I got was from typing in those commands. Charge Only and USB debugging are both on. I used adb shell to root my Hero and had no problems. It only took me one day. I'm on my 4th night trying to figure on this Evo.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:28 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzero1313 View Post
The rooting/NAND protection unlocking
No custom ROM yet, looking into what I like.
And yes
Check Post #346 and #347.

Like we said, if you root and stay on the stock ROM and dont have a Superuser icon (many users dont) the apps that require root wont work.

Edit:
@Fast-40 posts per page and Fluid Gray ftw! LOL

Last edited by iknowsquat; 06-16-2010 at 10:51 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
backup, basics, easy, evo, hboot-.076, help root, htc evo 4g, htc evo password, radio-1.36.00.04.02, recovery, restore, root, rooting, videos